how much time would you cut off from a lesson?

Backroads

So, history: I teach 4th Sunday in Relief Society. When I was near my due date, the presidency asked if I wanted November and December off. I gratefully accepted a sub for the first month but assured them I could take the latter.

Fast forward to this week when I glance at the calendar and realize a family event and its travel time conflicts with my lesson by a portion of an hour. Kind of wish I had accepted the December sub when it was feasible.

Anywho, Husband plans to drive like I'm not in the car and the presidency said I could cut my lesson short. Family knows we will be a bit late.

Question: where is that line of time between a shorter lesson and being a lazy teacher who just wants out of there?

Hmm . . . I might be more of a stickler than usual about ending the lesson "on time" (by my watch:  5 minutes before the end of class, to allow for closing prayer), but I wouldn't cut the lesson short.  Your mileage may vary, but for my family "sorry, I had to teach today" is a more-than-appropriate apology for being late to most Sunday family events.

The exception would be if the lesson were a topic that lent itself into breaking into small groups for discussions.  If that were the case I might do that around the half-hour mark and then slip out--IF the RS President were willing to call the class back to order at some point, lead a brief sum-up/overall discussion, and dismiss the class at the regular ending time.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

From a purely religious point of view, I agree with Just_A_Guy.

From a purely selfish point of view, I've never complained about getting out early (we usually go overtime by 5 minutes).

Is there any way you could have the last 10-15 minutes of the lesson not need you (thus getting you out 15-20 minutes before the hour)?  E.g. some exercise for people to do - make a list, plan how to implement the lesson in their life, discuss in small groups what they do to implement the lesson in their life, or similar.  Then a member of the presidency can get up when the lesson should end and wrap things up...

Just a thought.

Hmm . . . I might be more of a stickler than usual about ending the lesson "on time" (by my watch:  5 minutes before the end of class, to allow for closing prayer), but I wouldn't cut the lesson short.  Your mileage may vary, but for my family "sorry, I had to teach today" is a more-than-appropriate apology for being late to most Sunday family events.

That's interesting, while my family actively schedules events to avoid conflicts with church callings, the excuse "I will be with family" is an appropriate response for not being at part of Sunday events in the local ward.

(Not one day vacations, or I don't want to go to Sunday type events if that makes any sense.)

I think it would be appropriate to find someone to sub,rather than cut it short. Though time set aside to ponder, pray, and silently read scriptures could be very appropriate.

Edited by Crypto

Guest LiterateParakeet

I like the idea of class discussion at the end.

I used to hate it when we would divide up into class discussions.  I don't know why, laziness, perhaps.  :)  I just didn't want the hassle of moving my stuff/chair/self...etc.  

Now, I see the wisdom in such discussions, and would use them frequently if I were teaching RS or Sunday School again.

Why the change?  Because I'm doing Pathway (it's part of BYU-I Online) and we have a Gathering meeting each week that is student led.  We are encouraged even expected to break up into smaller groups and discuss things.  We are given some creative ideas of how to do this.   

The reason these discussions are so valuable are:

1.  First we learn the most when we participate in the discussion.  Small groups gives a lot more opportunity---even expectation--for everyone to take part.  

2.  Second, it gives us more of an opportunity to get to know one another.  Having friendships and support in our wards is very valuable when one is struggling.  

My favorite group discussion is Jigsaw.  Break the class up into groups and give each topics that are different but related.  Allow them to discuss.  Then have the groups "count off" (one, two three....).  Divide the groups again, ones meet with the ones from other groups, twos with twos, etc.  Then they discuss the different topics and how they all fit together as a whole.  

So I say, go for it....the only thing I would ask now is that the teacher mention at the beginning of class that we will be breaking up into smaller groups for discussion later...that mental preparation/expectation helps my attitude a lot.  :)  

So, history: I teach 4th Sunday in Relief Society. When I was near my due date, the presidency asked if I wanted November and December off. I gratefully accepted a sub for the first month but assured them I could take the latter.

Fast forward to this week when I glance at the calendar and realize a family event and its travel time conflicts with my lesson by a portion of an hour. Kind of wish I had accepted the December sub when it was feasible.

Anywho, Husband plans to drive like I'm not in the car and the presidency said I could cut my lesson short. Family knows we will be a bit late.

Question: where is that line of time between a shorter lesson and being a lazy teacher who just wants out of there?

What did you know about first? the lesson or thew family commitment? You had an out for the lesson which you didn't take so I assume that you didn't have the family event planned.

I know that it has past but I hope you did the right thing and were late for your family event.