Who still has TV service through cable or satellite?

pam

Guest LiterateParakeet

I really think it can be an individual thing.  Like the story I often mention of Corrie Ten Boom (where she and her sister in law disagreed about whether or not it was acceptable to the Lord to lie to Nazis.  They had opposite view points and actions, but both were blessed).  

One of my favorite books has been made into a movie...and it's rated R.  Unfortunately, for the same reasons that I find it so healing and wonderful, I wouldn't recommend it to any one else.  

How do we know if we are making the right choices for ourselves (especially if they differ from those we respect?), I think it's simple...listen to the Spirit.  If an activity (book, movie, art, TV show etc) makes you feel farther from the Spirit, then stop and change.  But I think the answer to this question may be different for different people.

I think I'm with Gator on pride. Someone once criticized the fact I read anything but scriptures. Sermon-style.

Coly How! (Gets much more interesting reactions than Holy Cow.)  Did this turn into a discussion, or was this the sort of situation where you just don't bother?  E.g. I'd be curious to know what this person thinks of:

* Church magazines

* Church manuals

* Works written by prophets, apostles, and other general authorities (how about RS, YW, and Primary presidencies)

* Works written by Mormon scholars such as the BYU religion department professors

* Works about the gospel by other members of the church

* School textbooks, writings related to one's profession (e.g. I'd hate to hire a computer programmer who'd never read anything other than scripture*)

* Instructional writings for do-it-yourself type stuff or hobbies

* Journals (e.g. of your ancestors, or your own - OK to write it as long as you never read it?)

* (Auto)Biographies

* Historic writings (we could throw the Constitution in there for fun)

* Reading about news / current events

* How about that bit from the Prophet Joseph Smith where he said we're interested in all truth, wherever it comes from?

Clearly they think fiction is out, so I'm not even asking, but I'd love to know what they think of apostles citing C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien in General Conference. :eek:

*Code by computer programmer who has only read the scriptures:

ifeth stateVariable equaleth true then  executeth thee the processing function();  returneth thee the answer of yon function;endethIf

Coly How! (Gets much more interesting reactions than Holy Cow.) Did this turn into a discussion, or was this the sort of situation where you just don't bother? E.g. I'd be curious to know what this person thinks of:

* Church magazines

* Church manuals

* Works written by prophets, apostles, and other general authorities (how about RS, YW, and Primary presidencies)

* Works written by Mormon scholars such as the BYU religion department professors

* Works about the gospel by other members of the church

* School textbooks, writings related to one's profession (e.g. I'd hate to hire a computer programmer who'd never read anything other than scripture*)

* Instructional writings for do-it-yourself type stuff or hobbies

* Journals (e.g. of your ancestors, or your own - OK to write it as long as you never read it?)

* (Auto)Biographies

* Historic writings (we could throw the Constitution in there for fun)

* Reading about news / current events

* How about that bit from the Prophet Joseph Smith where he said we're interested in all truth, wherever it comes from?

Clearly they think fiction is out, so I'm not even asking, but I'd love to know what they think of apostles citing C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien in General Conference. :eek:

*Code by computer programmer who has only read the scriptures:

ifeth stateVariable equaleth true then  executeth thee the processing function();  returneth thee the answer of yon function;endethIf
I want to say the book in question that started the sermon was a commentary on the scriptures or something like that. Ok, read the scriptures yourself instead of someone's thoughts on them... fine. No, all other written material was bad and a waste of time. Good, better, best was quoted at me and twisted.

I think I just gave him a look and went my way. He was a friend. I was reprimanded for having a book in his presence... apparently I was the last to know of his feelings on the matter. He tolerated text books for class but that was it.

Edited by Backroads

I want to say the book in question that started the sermon was a commentary on the scriptures or something like that. Ok, read the scriptures yourself instead of someone's thoughts on them... fine. No, all other written material was bad and a waste of time. Good, better, best was quoted at me and twisted.

I think I just gave him a look and went my way. He was a friend.

Wow.  Good response.  I'm really glad that never happened to me (I think I would have flipped a lid, as it were).  I guess it's OK to read scriptural commentary when it's actually in the scriptures... :P

Guest MormonGator

I had no idea when I started a simple discussion on this that it would get to be all of this.   :)

Sorry Pam. You can blame my blabbermouth 100% for this. 

Guest Godless

Just an observation (and kind of on topic, maybe): a lot of the PTC's complaints seem to be focused on time slots (adult-themed shows airing while children are awake). But it seems that services like Hulu, DVR, and on-demand would nullify that concern. For example, there are shows that my wife and I watch that wouldn't be appropriate for our 2 year-old. While we still have the option of watching some of them in their respective time slots via the TWC app, we choose instead to watch them on Hulu when our son is asleep. We used DVR and on-demand services for the same thing before we downgraded our cable service and switched to Roku.

I think I just gave him a look and went my way. He was a friend. I was reprimanded for having a book in his presence... apparently I was the last to know of his feelings on the matter. He tolerated text books for class but that was it.

I think (of course I'm only presuming...but I suspect I'm quite right) that the percentage of people who are going too extreme in this sort of regard are significantly fewer than those who are not diligent enough in the other regard. There are, I suspect, very few in the church who are fanatical with their doing of right to the point where it actually becomes harmful to them. On the other hand, I expect there are a very great many who watch shows with negative influences and write it off as no big deal. "Negative influences" is putting it nicely. I expect that majority of church members are watching shows and movies with nudity, extreme violence, foul language, and insidious corrupt worldly principles and writing it off as no big deal.

Not that I believe you are saying this -- but the fact that some look beyond the mark in being too strict (and beyond that judgmental and applying said over-strictness to others beyond what has been taught by our leaders) does not have any meaning as to whether we should or should not be allowing much of the entertainment into our homes that we do.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Guest MormonGator

Just an observation (and kind of on topic, maybe): a lot of the PTC's complaints seem to be focused on time slots (adult-themed shows airing while children are awake). But it seems that services like Hulu, DVR, and on-demand would nullify that concern. For example, there are shows that my wife and I watch that wouldn't be appropriate for our 2 year-old. While we still have the option of watching some of them in their respective time slots via the TWC app, we choose instead to watch them on Hulu when our son is asleep. We used DVR and on-demand services for the same thing before we downgraded our cable service and switched to Roku.

I don't have kids, but you are right. There is a big difference between letting a kid watch something questionable and then putting the kids to bed and watching "Schindler's List" or "The French Connection" Two outstanding movies, by the way.  

At the risk of stepping on Backroad's thought again (which I don't have issues with), I do think that good, better, best applies here. We can, of course, take things to the extreme and look beyond the mark. But I dare say that many things fall way short of the mark -- even if they're "good" -- that we might consider (prayerfully) eliminating from our lives. The idea in not looking beyond the mark is not to fall short of the mark either.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a TV junkie. I think the way Jojobag, for example, expresses some ideas are extremist. But, once again, I think we also tend to not apply good, better, best in our lives whatsoever. We get to good and then...good enough.

Of course then their are those of us who list violent, nudity filled, depressive, icky things as "good"...which is a different debate entirely...but...

Guest MormonGator

Of course then their are those of us who list violent, nudity filled, depressive, icky things as "good"...which is a different debate entirely...but...

Big difference between "good" and "realistic". Saving Private Ryan comes to mind. Great movie, though I've only seen it once. 

In fact, it's a very good representation of what my grandfather (A WWII vet) went through. Is it good? No. It's actually disturbing. But I imagine war to be disturbing. It's not for everyone. I don't enjoy graphic violence either-but I'm not going to close my eyes to it. 

I wish more people would see it. War is you know what, and sometimes we civilians don't treat our soldiers with enough respect. Now THAT is another debate entirely too!  

Edited by MormonGator

I wish more people would see it. War is you know what, and sometimes we civilians don't treat our soldiers with enough respect. Now THAT is another debate entirely too!  

Right. Not enough people having seen Saving Private Ryan is why people are so disrespectful. ;)

Guest LiterateParakeet

Big difference between "good" and "realistic". Saving Private Ryan comes to mind. Great movie, though I've only seen it once. 

In fact, it's a very good representation of what my grandfather (A WWII vet) went through. Is it good? No. It's actually disturbing. But I imagine war to be disturbing. It's not for everyone. I don't enjoy graphic violence either-but I'm not going to close my eyes to it. 

I'm with you on this (though I admit I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan, but you've got me thinking about it.  :) )  

I used to think "how is this entertaining" about certain books or movies, but then I realized, not all books or movies are meant to be "entertainment".  In fact, my favorites are not intended to entertain but to invoke thoughts, or emotions.  That is why Saving Private Ryan intrigues me.  Through books and movies like this we can gain a better understanding (more empathy) for things that hopefully WE will never have to experience.  Having more compassion/empathy for other people's experiences makes us more Christlike.

And I agree with you, if more people made an effort to understand what soldiers experience, (whether by well done movies, or books, or listening to someone who is willing to discuss it....) they would be more compassionate and respectful.  The same could be said for many types of trauma, but that is another debate entirely too! 

When we first moved here I told my wife that the US does two things to a substandard level - chocolate and TV.

The BBC spoilt us a little in the UK and the commercials on most American TV channels ruin the experience for us. In some cases it appears the combined length of the consistently repeated adverts is longer than the movie or episode itself.

BBC channels broadcast in the UK don't have any commercials. The one disadvantage of that is the small albeit outdated BBC TV license fee.

So no, we haven't paid for any TV packages since we moved to the US, with the excepion of the small monthly fee we pay for netflix (which we don't pay in reality as we share an account with family). I actually did review this decision yesterday but the combined monthly fees for a cable TV service, the content of which I consider to be substandard was reason enough to continue the status quo.

Edited by Mahone

The trick with our media is to find what's worth watching. If I only wanted to avoid sinful material, I could watch nothing but mindless fluff of bad writing and poor story. Our search for good media should include intelligent stories and ideas that make us think (I too love Saving Private Ryan).

I suppose I could nix all media save church materials and would probably benefit in many ways as I find other ways to use my time. But good, thoughtful media still offers so much.

In conclusion, it's so much more than an absence of the bad stuff.

Guest MormonGator

I'm with you on this (though I admit I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan, but you've got me thinking about it.   :) )  

I used to think "how is this entertaining" about certain books or movies, but then I realized, not all books or movies are meant to be "entertainment".  In fact, my favorites are not intended to entertain but to invoke thoughts, or emotions.  That is why Saving Private Ryan intrigues me.  Through books and movies like this we can gain a better understanding (more empathy) for things that hopefully WE will never have to experience.  Having more compassion/empathy for other people's experiences makes us more Christlike.

And I agree with you, if more people made an effort to understand what soldiers experience, (whether by well done movies, or books, or listening to someone who is willing to discuss it....) they would be more compassionate and respectful.  The same could be said for many types of trauma, but that is another debate entirely too! 

Exactly. When people turn their heads at the horrors of war, they don't know what our troops go through, and are more likely to disrespect them. Can a movie really show you? Of course not. Can it help? You bet it can.  

People are so quick to say "Oh it's offensive" without giving it a fair shot. I've heard people say "Oh, Don't read Anna Karenina. It's about adultery." Well in all honesty, if that's all you get from one of the greatest novels in human history, you've seriously missed the point.  

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

I also must say that with all my sports craziness ......I love the BYU channel so I can watch the choir broadcasts and the discussions on the Book of Mormon and the other scriptures they have have on the show.

We just got Dish, and the first thing we found was the BYU station :-) LOVE it. 

When I started this thread it wasn't even about the kind of shows we should watch or not watch.

It's all about the outrageous price of having satellite service when you use it so very little.  :)