A thought about dealing with Islamic terrorists

Traveler

Posted (edited) · Hidden by estradling75, January 20, 2016 - Pending mod view
Hidden by estradling75, January 20, 2016 - Pending mod view

LeSellers, what is your purpose in using so many archaic variants of the word "Muslim"? Because it looks to me like your purpose is to mock and denigrate those who follow Islam. If you have another purpose, one that actually makes the usage of a dozen different spellings and pronunciations of "Muslim" look reasonable, please fill us in.

Lehi:

You're going out of your way to be offensive.  Knock it off.

First, why should I "knock it off"? Being offensive isn't my point at all, no matter what you may infer. That's your issue.

As I said earlier, the reason I do it is because a man I respect, and who loved Arabs, as part of the forward of his book, Seven Pillars of Wisdom, said he wished he had spelled his own name in more ways than the several he did use out of respect for the Arab language which does not have vowels and which does change the pronunciation based on adjacent words.

I don't pretend to speak Arabic, nor love it, as Lawrence did, but it seems appropriate to follow his lead on the matter. After all, he did love Arabs and Arabic.

Again, you may infer anything you want to, I cannot change that, and wouldn't if I could. But you cannot demand that I use your preferences just because you don't like mine. That's prejudice.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

*Putting on my admin hat*

I am going to request that we allow the same respect to Muslims as we would want them to give us. That would mean to spell the name of the religion as we know it.  That is Muslim.  

I'm in the camp with a couple of others that found the other spelling inappropriate.  We are to be a site that loves and tolerates everyone no matter their religion. That includes Muslims.  Whether one likes/dislikes/trusts or feels they need to be wary of them or not.

This is one of the rules of the site that you can find in the site rules:

11. Bigoted/racial/ethnic comments will not be tolerated.

On 1/20/2016 at 1:19 PM, pam said:

*Putting on my admin hat*

11. Bigoted/racial/ethnic comments will not be tolerated.

Sorry.

I don't see this as bigoted, it's not racial, or ethnic. but you all write the rules.

As I said in the dumped message, Lawrence of Arabia wrote his own name (in English) several different ways and said he wished he'd used many more out of respect for the Arabic and Arabs, he loved. My multiple renderings were an echo of his sentiments and not meant is any derogatory way at all. How others read it was beyond my control.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers