Your Political Views Reflects Your Moral Views

JojoBag

Guest MormonGator
22 minutes ago, Godless said:

Yes and no. We're seeing a drift from the "party establishment" on both sides, but I don't take that as a sign that we are ready for a viable third party candidate. Obama won twice largely because he was an anti-establishment Democrat running against establishment Republicans. I don't think he could have won on a third party ticket. I also believe that his chances of winning would have been far slimmer if the Republicans had put forward their own "renegade" candidate. As much as the thought terrifies me, I think Palin had a much better chance at winning the presidency than John McCain.

Long story short, people still want to vote on their party lines. Maybe someday that will change if enough politicians are willing to part ways with their parties. I just don't think we're quite there yet.

Well said. Both you and Anatess make some great points 

The way I read it, Anatess wasn't really describing a scenario where a true third-party candidate would win the election, but rather, was describing this scenario:

1) The Republican voters want "this idiot", but the republican powers-that-be nominate "that (more) establishment candidate".  "This idiot" decides to run as a "third party" candidate - but in reality, "this idiot" is just causing a forced extension of the primaries.  Republican voters are still voting for someone they see as republican (not as third party), but under the technical guise of third party (cuz it's the only option available).

2) Replace "Republican" above with "Democrat", replace "this idiot" with "some nut".  Same story.

In other words, it wouldn't be a true third-party situation but a forced extension of primaries because voters didn't like what was done by the powers-that-be.  It is an interesting idea, and does indeed seem more likely than a true third party candidate.  Stay in the primaries for as long as you can without losing support, then jump parties and take your supporters with you...

On 2/13/2016 at 5:01 PM, Jojo Bags said:

This is why we have the gift of discernment.  In fact, we will be held accountable for allowing ourselves to be deceived and for our choices in whom we vote for.  Elder Andersen was very clear on that subject.

You will be held accountable for unrighteous laws enacted by the people you vote for unless you do everything you can to oppose them.

I generally lump discernment under ability, effort,  and responsibility and etc... as with all other skills and talents it is something to be developed. (as well as staying in tune with the spirit). If you've done your best to discern what you can and still get flamboozled then it is out of your hands.