Calling Concerns: Please Advise

yoyoteacher

My roommate came to me for some advice the other day, and I asked if she would mind me coming here, because I'm at a loss. One of our friends was just called as the activities chair for our ysa branch. This friend shared with my roommate that he put her name forth for a calling to his committee.

While she has no problem with this, even though it would be her 2nd or 3rd calling, and she totally supports the calling our friend holds, she has a lot of concerns. First, she questions if he called her out of convenience or if it was inspired. Second, she knows that he has been consuming illegal recreational drugs. He has told her many times, even to the point of using coming to our place as an excuse to partake while traveling. He's also done so at my apartment, which is a whole other issue regarding my job that I won't go in to.

She doesn't want to make him feel like she is ratting him out, but at the same time she feels like she needs to tell our branch president about this. She will always do what she can to support the calling, but she doesn't support him in it or his actions.

If you were in this situation, what would you do?

First, she questions if he called her out of convenience or if it was inspired.

It doesn't really matter too much. The Lord respects His servants (even the less-than-perfect) when they are acting in their offices. She'll get the blessings either way.

Second, she knows that he has been consuming illegal recreational drugs.

Depending on the calling, this may or may not be terribly important.

There are callings where Temple worthiness is not a criterion for serving. For others, it's mandatory. Without knowing what calling(s) this person has (if any), no one here can give advice on that.

That said, drug (ab)use is a serious problem, and it represents a breaking of the baptismal covenant. The Branch President needs to know, irrespective of the calling, that so-and-so needs help.

How to proceed is a question she'd have to resolve with the Holy Ghost.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

There's a couple of issues going on here--

1)  Friend asking roommate to serve on committee with him out of connivance: a non-issue (see point 2)

2)  Whether roommate should serve on the committee: that's up to prayerful consideration on her part (including if she can with her other callings).

3)  Friend doing drugs: that's a problem!  Not because of his calling, but because of his not honoring his baptismal covenants.  He should be encouraged to seek priesthood counseling.  If he's unwilling to seek help, should you rat him out for his benefit? Well, we could have a whole thread on just that.

4)  Friend doing drugs are you place: big problem!  And easily solved: your house, your rules, and that means no drugs!  

Edited by Jane_Doe

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but...

Everyone is focusing on the calling and the position and inspired/not inspired.  The drug abuse is only mentioned in regard to baptismal covenants?  While all these are somewhat disconcerting, can I mention that he's committing a felony?  Repeatedly?

I'm sure we want to put forth a hand of friendship to help, perhaps an intervention type thing.  But I'd say getting him help or a jail cell (his option) would be the primary issue on people's minds.

My 2 cents.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but...

Everyone is focusing on the calling and the position and inspired/not inspired.  The drug abuse is only mentioned in regard to baptismal covenants?  While all these are somewhat disconcerting, can I mention that he's committing a felony?  Repeatedly?

I'm sure we want to put forth a hand of friendship to help, perhaps an intervention type thing.  But I'd say getting him help or a jail cell (his option) would be the primary issue on people's minds.

My 2 cents.

My home state now legalized marijuana and is celebrating it's use.   I'd rather not put stock in what the world's law considers ok, and focus on the Lord's law.  

My roommate came to me for some advice the other day, and I asked if she would mind me coming here, because I'm at a loss. One of our friends was just called as the activities chair for our ysa branch. This friend shared with my roommate that he put her name forth for a calling to his committee.

While she has no problem with this, even though it would be her 2nd or 3rd calling, and she totally supports the calling our friend holds, she has a lot of concerns. First, she questions if he called her out of convenience or if it was inspired. Second, she knows that he has been consuming illegal recreational drugs. He has told her many times, even to the point of using coming to our place as an excuse to partake while traveling. He's also done so at my apartment, which is a whole other issue regarding my job that I won't go in to.

She doesn't want to make him feel like she is ratting him out, but at the same time she feels like she needs to tell our branch president about this. She will always do what she can to support the calling, but she doesn't support him in it or his actions.

If you were in this situation, what would you do?

What kind of a friend are you to him if you let him continue in self-destructive behavior? Does it matter to you that he's damaging his life?

Are you and/or your roommate close enough to him to talk with him about it seriously? If you don't feel like you are, maybe you need to let someone close to him know so that they can confront him. I don't know if the first person who needs to know about it is the bishop, but *someone* needs to talk with him... preferably someone he cares about and who he will be more likely to listen to than just a casual friend or acquaintance.

As for "ratting him out" .. This isn't grade school and he's not just some little boy on the playground who stuck his tongue out at you. So how does your telling someone who loves and cares about him make you a rat? If he were my son, I'd want to know. And I would thank you for telling me.

About a week before Christmas, a someone in my ward died from an overdose of heroin.  This happened about a week or so before he was scheduled to enter rehab. 

He was a very nice guy, volunteered a lot, and my understanding is that he still had a testimony of the gospel and shared it with others.  Unfortunately, though, his addiction to drugs eventually took his own life.

I'm in agreement with theSQUIDSTER and Vort; I would talk to someone close to him about his problem, such as his parents.