Confessions of awkwardness in my youth

bytor2112

I thought everyone could skate backwards, one of my earliest sports was ice hockey, which I gave up in later years.

And wrappers delight.  What was that, I guess I missed that.

Did you have a Christmas season job at the department store (gift wrap department)?

dc

Edited by David13

Let's see.  I'm not sure if this is really about being "awkward" or being a "geek".  If the former, I didn't really qualify.  I was elected student body vice president.  If the latter, I think I beat all of you.  I did a lot of things...

I had difficulty with skating backwards.  But eventually I did it... very awkwardly.

I danced disco.  What can I say?  Back then it was "da bomb!"

I wasn't just mean, I was the troublemaker.

I still read Wikipedia... I'm not sure if I'd call it "fun".  But it's definitely recreation.

I read a lot of the encyclopedia Britannica.  It's what we had.

I read about atomic structure in 2nd grade.

Played clarinet in band, was lead bass in vocal ensemble, Executive Officer of JROTC, member of the debate team.

I learned to break dance...after it was "so yesterday".

Jr High:  I was 6'2" and 123 lbs, and didn't play basketball.  Spent one semester of lunches discussing Bible with a few JW students.

Sr High: Lettered in debate.  We had two on the team (I was captain), and got slaughtered in varsity competition.  I also did drama, and was the editorial page editor.  Students didn't read me.  Unfortunately, the teachers did.

Yeah...I was SQUARE.

Difference between square and dork.  Both or socially awkward, but dorks actually care.

At some point in grade school, my two brothers and I were in the car with my mom.  I had shotgun.  It was raining, so the windshield wipers were going.  I started to ask why the windshield wipers weren't on the inside.  I stopped myself, but not so soon that they didn't all know what I was going to say.  Very awkward silence - to me. :P

I skated on speed skates and was able to skate backwards. My wife was a better short track speed skater than I was.

I too listened and danced to Disco music.

I have been a member of the church all my life and when I was 14-15 yrs old I was kicked out of the our Scout troop. I didn't care nor did I miss it. Lol

I once volunteered for a "wild cow milking" contest at the rodeo (to impress a guy).  I won, but I don't think he was impressed, LOL!

Wild cow milking... haven't heard of that one.  How was that supposed to impress a guy? :huh:

Edited by Guest

Guest LiterateParakeet

Wild cow milking... haven't heard of that one. How was that supposed to impress a guy? :huh:

I know, right? He was manning the shoot where they released the cows. I guess I thought he would think I was fun and daring. Lol, awkwardness!

Guest LiterateParakeet

I would have been impressed. :D

LOL, I had NO idea what I was doing.  I just grabbed that poor cow and started yanking.  Fortunately, we happened to be near the fence, and my grandfather was there calling to me, "No, not like that!  Like this..."  and gesturing the proper method.  Grandpa saved the day!  :D

I could never do a backwards roll in tumbling in PE during elementary school.  I even brought the mattress from my bed into the living room to practice and try and do it.  I could do everything else required in tumbling but never could do the backwards roll.  Needless to say, I didn't get a very high grade in that portion of PE.

I almost passed out during science class when the teacher had us blow up balloons for something. Apparently I was that bad at blowing up balloons.

I ran into that teacher last summer and he still remembered it!

I was also part of the team in the medical anatomy class that brought a live chicken to school for our mock operation.