Any good ideas for giving church lessons?

Sunday21

I really like the buzz groups idea

When I am a student, I hate it.

There are always one or two who say nothing, one or two who take the group over, and one or two who just go along to get through the period.

(Yes, I know who you think I am, but it ain't always so.)

The problem with this method isn't that each group reflects on only a couple of thought, but that other processes get steamrollered and ignored. There is no way to measure this, but it just may well be that the ideas not expressed may be the ones most useful to others in the class.

That, and it seems as if the teacher loses control of the schedule, since "five minutes" is always ten, and ten is always fifteen.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Guest LiterateParakeet

THE most important thing is to pray for the Spirit.  I know that's a "Sunday School" answer, but it's true.  I can really tell the difference when I teach with the Spirit and when I don't.  I think the prayer should be very specific and heartfelt, not a vain repetition "please bless us with the Spirit" uttered casually and without thinking...but a sincere, heartfelt, "Heavenly Father, I don't know the needs of the people in my class, but I know thou doest.  Please guide me with the Spirit to say the things that are needed, or to ask the questions that will be most helpful."   That sort of thing . . .

The better teacher you are, the more you need to pray for the Spirit....because the temptation to just "go it on your own" will be strong.  But a lesson taught by the Spirit by any teacher is always better than a lesson taught "solo" by even a great teacher.  

About "buzz groups"....I used to hate that as a class participant, but that was only because I didn't understand the purpose.  If I were to use it now as a teacher I would explain to the class:  "Don't get too comfortable, because later in the lesson, I'm going to ask you to divide in groups.  I know it can be a bit of a nuisance, but the reason to do it is this:

We learn so much more when we participate.  Dividing you up into groups give individuals a great opportunity to participate...and thus learn and be touched by the Spirit...than passively sitting and listening."

As a student, I would appreciate that intro and be more willing.  :)  I know...because I have been since the idea was explained to me.  I love buzz groups now.  

When considering what the Prophet would seek in a Sunday School class, I don't think he gets much new doctrine out of any class.  What he hopes for is a dose of the Spirit.  (See LP's comment above).

The most spiritual teacher I ever had just got released at the end of the year.  The primary tool she used was bearing testimony every single week specifically about the topic for that week.  And it wasn't just a blah-blah-blah testimony.  She really bore her soul every week.  I honestly don't know how she did it.  I don't think I'd have the energy to do that.  And I'm much more private than she is, I guess.  But that is how I got a lot more out of the lessons.

She also did a lot of her homework.  She read through the entire lesson -- something not a lot of instructors do.  She did online research.  She practiced.  She did a lot of work.  She truly magnified her calling.

So, yes, she did a good job of teaching the doctrines and the scriptures.  She got a good discussion going.  Yes, she was dynamic.  But all that paled in comparison to her testimony.

Now we have an instructor who keeps a good discussion going.  He has a good sense of humor.  And he instructs in doctrine.  But I really don't feel the Spirit much with him.  It also doesn't help that he teaches false doctrine -- so far, every week.

My favorite Sunday School teacher taught the Youth.  I'm not sure if there's a "Teach Youth like This" instruction manual - the Youth teacher in a ward in another State taught the same way!

Basically, the Youth are encouraged every day to read up on the next week's lesson.  Then the teacher simply does this:

1.)  Breaks the lesson down to several sections (this is already done for us if we're teaching from the Presidents of the Church manual).

2.)  Introduces the section to the class and then asks the class questions about it.

3.)  What happens next depends on what the students say in response to the questions... the discussion is student-led.  The teacher simply facilitates and manages the direction of the discussion... bringing the discussion back on topic as necessary, correcting false doctrine as necessary, managing the time, etc. etc.

This, of course, only works in a Spirit-filled classroom.

There are always one or two who say nothing, one or two who take the group over, and one or two who just go along to get through the period.

(Yes, I know who you think I am, but it ain't always so.)

My own self-image is that I am one of the talkers, though to be fair to myself, that is not always true.

As a rather poor student trying to survive in a college environment, I found that sitting in the front row and involving myself in the lecture or discussion was a good way to help me to learn the subject. I applied that to my Church attendance with great success, and often sit near the front and enthusiastically participate. I have no doubt that I often come across as a know-it-all, as I surely do here on occasion. But the alternative is that the world passes me by while I glance out the window on occasion before going back to reading my book. However irritating my "participation style" might be to others, it helps me to connect a little more with the lesson and with the people in the class, and draws me a little more out of my introverted nature.

My own self-image is that I am one of the talkers, though to be fair to myself, that is not always true.

As a rather poor student trying to survive in a college environment, I found that sitting in the front row and involving myself in the lecture or discussion was a good way to help me to learn the subject. I applied that to my Church attendance with great success, and often sit near the front and enthusiastically participate. I have no doubt that I often come across as a know-it-all, as I surely do here on occasion. But the alternative is that the world passes me by while I glance out the window on occasion before going back to reading my book. However irritating my "participation style" might be to others, it helps me to connect a little more with the lesson and with the people in the class, and draws me a little more out of my introverted nature.

This year, I'm trying out the "only speak once in class" rule and with brevity at that.  I've been in Primary for many many years but last summer I got called to scouts so I get to attend Sunday School and RS.  Well, it has been the trend that I make a comment a lot and somebody makes a comment and I comment on that too such that 5 minutes later I'm still talking... and the teacher get to be at a loss on how to regain control of the lesson until I finally realize I've been talking for over 5 minutes and need to shut up.

This is also how I got to writing my talks down and reading it at the podium instead of using cue cards or going off-script.  There was one meeting where I gave a talk and after I sat down, we had an intermediate hymn, closing hymn and closing prayer one after the other... my husband didn't get to give his talk.

When I was teaching GD, I collected class member emails and would send out an email each Wednesday or Thursday with links to the lesson, the Mormon Interpreter's round-table for that lesson, one or two articles from the Church website, and a couple of pondering/discussion questions.  I tried to make it clear that they didn't have to read it all, but to put some thought into the questions and be ready to discuss them and to be prepared to discuss one of the linked articles at any point in the lesson where they thought it might be appropriate. 

Most people, I think, ignored the email.  But three or four class members did read them and portions of the linked material, and their contributions were enough to make the extra effort worth it.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Piggy backing on JAGs thought...

When I taught GD (also), I would do the same thing. I would send out emails to the class asking for specific items. I taught a class to about 100-120 each week. I used a projector and pull open screen, both from the library. 

The last year I taught was D&C so there were several core themes: Missionary work, celestial marriage, temples, etc.

In the email I would ask members to submit photos of "themselves" to share during class the coming week. If the subject was missionary work, I would spend a couple minutes sharing the 15-20 submitted pictures of members on their actual missions.

This worked for a variety of lessons to engage members and give everyone a glimpse into others lives and it was fun to guess as you looked at everyone's old pictures.

The spirit is key to a successful lesson, BUT you need to have an audience who is engaged to hear the lesson to feel the spirit. An audience who is 60% asleep is most likely going to have a hard time feeling the spirit anyways.

Edited by NeedleinA

Second idea

I looked over the topics/lessons of the entire year in advance. I took one thought provoking question from each lesson. I then compiled an anonymous survey of about 30 questions. I spent the very first Sunday doing the survey with the entire class, NO lesson, just the survey. 

Then each week I would share the results of the survey question that pertained to that week's lesson. Example if the lesson was on following the Prophet:

Question: If the prophet asked us to all move to Utah today (we don't live in Utah currently) what would you do?

a. Pick up and leave immediately

b. Pray about it first, wait for your own personal revelation and go only if you received your own answer.

c. Wait it out in town and let others go.

I would read the anonymous results back to class that would tie into the lesson. It almost always generated deep discussions and the class could go on auto pilot often.

I personally learned a lot about my fellow members by studying the survey, not all of it was heart warming either :)

Edited by NeedleinA

I agree that having the Spirit is the key to a great lesson.

I am also one who hates breaking up into discussion groups.  Other's seem to enjoy it.  I'm a nervous wreck that I might be the one asked to give the summary of the discussion group.  I don't know why this is such an anxiety moment for me.  I'm perfectly fine teaching a lesson.  In fact, I love teaching.  Being a RS teacher is my favorite calling.  Why the fear of giving the group discussion summary is so fearful to me is something I haven't figured out about myself yet.  Also, another reason I dislike discussion groups is because I hate having to get out of my seat and finding a new seat with the discussion group.  It's just a pain.

The sisters in my ward love discussion groups. I think because 1/2 of us have limited English and so it is easier to follow the English of one or two sisters speaking very slowly and carefully so that you can understand at close quarters. Also because so many of the sisters are socially isolated due to poor English skills this is a chance to be close to others.