Yikes! What I did while the forum was down...

NeedleinA

After a couple of days of the forum being down, I started getting bored. So... regrettably I went and read a couple of other "LDS" forums, something I had not done before. No, I didn't go to any apparent anti-forums, but rather ones that gave off the initial feel of being in line with the church. 

What gave off the appearance of mainstream LDS teaching quickly turned out not to be. Yikes! The spirit quickly left after half the posters started:

1. Giving advice that members should be praying to Heavenly Mother

2. Read some books by excommunicated members

3. Priesthood authority had left the General Authorities a year ago.

That is about the time I said adios to that and have been waiting for LDS.net to reopen. So... Thank you to LDS.net and the many members here that share church approved doctrine. Funny enough, I'll be speaking in Sacrament fairly soon on "Blessings from Sustaining Church Leaders".

Unfortunately, this is fairly common.  There's just enough to make a site look like it's frequented by faithful members, but once you get in a ways, you find they're not so faithful as it seemed.  I hope your talk goes well.

I spent my time getting re-addicted to fountain pens.  (Equally expensive in time, more expensive in $, but not so expensive as one might think - they're making good, inexpensive pens these days.)  :)

I don't go to other lds forums but I do belong to some lds discussion groups on facebook.  I have left many of them.  I left wondering if all of us belonged to the same church.  I couldn't believe some of the responses people were giving.  Such negativity and it just wasn't for me.

Satan's got his claws into the world, and yes, into many members of the church. And he will continue to get a greater hold against all who do not protect themselves with the armor of righteousness. His chains, unless cast off, will continue to bind people down to the eternal gulf of misery and woe unto despair and destruction until they disdain the goodness of God.

16 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

After a couple of days of the forum being down, I started getting bored. So... regrettably I went and read a couple of other "LDS" forums, something I had not done before. No, I didn't go to any apparent anti-forums, but rather ones that gave off the initial feel of being in line with the church. 

What gave off the appearance of mainstream LDS teaching quickly turned out not to be. Yikes! The spirit quickly left after half the posters started:

1. Giving advice that members should be praying to Heavenly Mother

2. Read some books by excommunicated members

3. Priesthood authority had left the General Authorities a year ago.

That is about the time I said adios to that and have been waiting for LDS.net to reopen. So... Thank you to LDS.net and the many members here that share church approved doctrine. Funny enough, I'll be speaking in Sacrament fairly soon on "Blessings from Sustaining Church Leaders".

And not to sound boastful or anything, but I really hope people appreciate first, the More Good Foundation for providing this site. I appreciate that I have this site for free (but anyone is welcome to donate) to discuss a variety of topics, including spiritual.  And secondly, the moderators do try to keep things from being contentious as well as respectful to all religious beliefs. We are human and make mistakes but for the most part I think we do a good job overall. 

I actually spent more time with the family.  So, that means this forum is hurting my family?  I'm not sure if that's right...

But, yes, that is one thing I like about this board.  Others I've frequented let too much false doctrine in.  And most of the participants agreed with it.  Even when I got "offended" a few times, I kept coming back because at least I know that people mean well (for the most part) and tend to have sound testimonies and sound doctrines -- even if we disagree on some finer points.

It's a roll of the dice, searching for online LDS message boards.  But one decent faithful members-only forum is http://nauvoo.site/forum/index.php .  Nauvoo was originally started by Orson Scott Card, and the original nauvoo.com recently closed, but someone started this one to take it's place.  

4 hours ago, beefche said:

appreciate first, the More Good Foundation for providing this site. 

So not knowing anything about the MGF besides hearing its name a couple times here, I decided to look it up today.

Interesting paragraph about the origin of the group and I also liked the page about "Ways to Share" the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Good stuff - thanks!

2 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

So not knowing anything about the MGF besides hearing its name a couple times here, I decided to look it up today.

Interesting paragraph about the origin of the group and I also liked the page about "Ways to Share" the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Good stuff - thanks!

Your link gets my anti-virus worked up as a possible malicious site.

I've never intentionally looked for any lds social network sites, I just stumbled on this one years ago and have some how found I enjoy it sometimes. I have also stumbled on others and it's true that they seem wild. Your description sounds like the nonsense some of my family has been caught up in. Looking beyond the mark for sure. What with frequent Theophanies and such - some how the idea of walking by faith is subverted by seeing Deity to ask what's for dinner, it just doesn't add up if you ask me. (and I'm the one considered to have too little faith because I haven't seen divine beings) There is also just too much that caters to what the world wants - priesthood offices for women being one of the first to come to mind. 

2 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

No idea why?

When you hover with your mouse over my link does it give you a MGF link on the bottom of your browser? Just tried the link and works fine for me...

3 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

I've never intentionally looked for any lds social network sites, I just stumbled on this one years ago and have some how found I enjoy it sometimes. I have also stumbled on others and it's true that they seem wild. Your description sounds like the nonsense some of my family has been caught up in. Looking beyond the mark for sure. What with frequent Theophanies and such - some how the idea of walking by faith is subverted by seeing Deity to ask what's for dinner, it just doesn't add up if you ask me. (and I'm the one considered to have too little faith because I haven't seen divine beings) There is also just too much that caters to what the world wants - priesthood offices for women being one of the first to come to mind. 

Well I can guarantee you it's not.  It's the company I work for.

22 hours ago, beefche said:

And not to sound boastful or anything, but I really hope people appreciate first, the More Good Foundation for providing this site. I appreciate that I have this site for free (but anyone is welcome to donate) to discuss a variety of topics, including spiritual.  And secondly, the moderators do try to keep things from being contentious as well as respectful to all religious beliefs. We are human and make mistakes but for the most part I think we do a good job overall. 

I think the order of the Foundation makes this place so trustworthy. I only frequent forums where there is strong leadership (whether that be an official organization or just a few with-it creators and moderators). Other ways, chaos tends to ensue sooner or later. This could be religious-centered forums or geeky ones. Leadership that doesn't allow things to sway hither and yonder Is A Must.

Which is somewhat sad, as there have been LDS-esque forums I've seen with interesting subjects that can't be discussed here per site policy... that are next to downright useless because of the weird-Mormon/anti-Mormon stuff that has infiltrated. Sigh.

I spent the downtime pretty much doing what I always do, just having to cut lds.net out of my phone-surfing distraction time.

Edited by Backroads

Sites are going to be a reflection of their owners values.  (Not caring is a value)

I know that we mods get called all kinds of nasty names when we remove, edit or otherwise censor a poster... Usually it is because the poster forgets that posting on someone else's forum/website is not a 'Right' but a 'Privilege.'  A privilege that can be altered or changed for no other reason then the Owner wanted to.

On 2/12/2016 at 6:43 PM, zil said:

Unfortunately, this is fairly common.  There's just enough to make a site look like it's frequented by faithful members, but once you get in a ways, you find they're not so faithful as it seemed.  I hope your talk goes well.

I spent my time getting re-addicted to fountain pens.  (Equally expensive in time, more expensive in $, but not so expensive as one might think - they're making good, inexpensive pens these days.)  :)

My daughter does some really awesome art work with fountain pens.

7 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

My daughter does some really awesome art work with fountain pens.

:) I just like writing with them - haven't tried any kind of doodling (ala Zentangles), which is as close to pen art as I can come.  I'm sure the ink options are perfect for an artist (I've already mixed my own color, and am pondering more mixes).

9 minutes ago, zil said:

:) I just like writing with them - haven't tried any kind of doodling (ala Zentangles), which is as close to pen art as I can come.  I'm sure the ink options are perfect for an artist (I've already mixed my own color, and am pondering more mixes).

She does things as inspired by Mary Doodles. http://www.marydoodles.com/

14 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

She does things as inspired by Mary Doodles. http://www.marydoodles.com/

Fun!  I would have to practice long and hard (like years) and still might not be able to do stuff like that.  So many interests, so little mortality... :)  I'm currently just working on getting my handwriting readable again (the quick brown fox has jumped over the lazy dog many, many times, with all four fountain pens).  Then I'll write a few letters and see whether they cause heart attacks, or if I get replies... :eek:

Edited by zil

What I did while the forum was down... I clicked a couple times a day to see if it was up. Then I realized that I don't even know anyone on this forum well enough to be on their FB or other social media, so had no way to contact anyone and felt kinda out of sorts. LOL. But... that's my own doing. I'm mostly a lurker here, but do enjoy being a member. Was glad when it came back up.

I also own my own graphics forum, so spent more time there doing what I do best with graphics. LOL