Omanis Grant Permission to Dig at Nephi’s Bountiful

mirkwood

Very cool.

During the month of February a team of archaeologists, scholars and divers, headed by Dr. F. Richard Hauck, will be at Nephi’s Bountiful on a dig to find answers to some critical questions about conditions there in 600 BC.

http://ldsmag.com/major-announcement-omanis-grant-permission-to-dig-at-nephis-bountiful/

Thanks for sharing Mirkwood. What they will find, who knows? Is it the right place, who knows? I do enjoy reading about LDS archaeologists out hunting. Also, score one for the Omanis trying to set an example to others in the region, very cool. 

Now I hope they find the a giant stone that has carvings saying:

"Lehi + Sariah" or "Nephi wuz here"

My overriding concern is that it be a strictly by-the-numbers archeological dig, preferably (for appearance's sake only) using non-LDS archeologists, and that nothing of significance be destroyed. My philosophical belief is that nothing definitive will be found giving strong evidence of the Book of Mormon; it seems to me that God does not work that way. But if I'm proven wrong in this, so much the better.

10 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Thanks for sharing Mirkwood. What they will find, who knows? Is it the right place, who knows? I do enjoy reading about LDS archaeologists out hunting. Also, score one for the Omanis trying to set an example to others in the region, very cool. 

Now I hope they find the a giant stone that has carvings saying:

"Lehi + Sariah" or "Nephi wuz here"

Or even better:

Nephi is a momma's boy

--Laman

or, best:

I'm not an iron rod Jew.  I'm more of a Liahona Jew.

--Lemuel

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On 2/13/2016 at 10:58 PM, mirkwood said:

Very cool.

During the month of February a team of archaeologists, scholars and divers, headed by Dr. F. Richard Hauck, will be at Nephi’s Bountiful on a dig to find answers to some critical questions about conditions there in 600 BC.

http://ldsmag.com/major-announcement-omanis-grant-permission-to-dig-at-nephis-bountiful/

wow. I hope that significant finds are there to be found. And amazing that the local leaders would allow this.