Slavery and the Gospel

LeSellers

This is a rabbinic response to the frequent attack on the Jewish (and Gospel) practice of "slavery".

The Gospel is, and always has been, a Gospel of Charity.

Lehi

============================================================================

Does the Bible believe in slavery?

By Rabbi Hillel Goldberg

It’s a claim often bandied about by the, ahem, “enlightened” and used to prove the evils that would result from a Bible-based society. But is it true?

The answer seems straightforward. This week’s Torah portion opens (Exodus 21:2-6):

“If you buy a Jewish eved [the Hebrew may be translated slave, servant, or bondsman], he shall work for six years and in the seventh he shall go free, for no charge. If he shall arrive by himself [unmarried], he shall leave by himself; if he is the husband of a woman, his wife shall leave with him. If his master will give him a woman and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall belong to her master, and he shall go out by himself.

“But if the eved shall say, ‘I love my master, my wife and my children — I shall not go free,’ then his master shall bring him to the court and shall bring him to the door or to the doorpost, and his master shall bore through his ear with the awl, and he shall serve him forever.”

You can read the rest here.

out of all the slaveries of the world if i had to choose to be under one it would be the jewish one. Not only on the 7th year you were to go free (or become part of the family).. but every 7 days they had to let you rest (and the animals too)- one of the first laws that had rights for not only slaves but animals as well.