Even the very elect. . .

I'm not sure what I hope to gain in this thread. 

I just found out about a second twig in my family branch that is about to break... a second priesthood holder falling to the world... a second family torn apart. Both because of bad choices, both because of different kinds of temptations and/or doubts taken from Internet pages. 

In total that is 10 of my nieces and nephews who will now grow up in broken homes without a priesthood holder. 

I guess, just be careful. Be careful where you are seeking for information. Go to the True Source. Be careful about who is seeking you out, or who you are seeking out on social media. Guard your covenants, especially those with your spouse, with your very lives. 

A few years ago I never would have seen this happening. No one is immune. 

16 minutes ago, beefche said:

strengthen what I thought was already strong. 

13 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

There is definitely plenty of opportunity for growth, 

I shared with our HPG last Sunday that previously in life I thought I was hardened steel in the gospel. After a series of hard trials, I can look back and see I was tin foil at best. Today I think I am hardened steel, but who knows what I will think in a couple of more years after another series of trials comes. Point being, like stated, "there is plenty of opportunity for growth" for us all and "strengthen what (you) thought was already strong", none of us is immune. 

Edited by NeedleinA

2 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I just found out about a second twig in my family branch that is about to break... a second priesthood holder falling to the world... a second family torn apart. Both because of bad choices, both because of different kinds of temptations and/or doubts taken from Internet pages. 

In total that is 10 of my nieces and nephews who will now grow up in broken homes without a priesthood holder. 

I guess, just be careful. Be careful where you are seeking for information. Go to the True Source. Be careful about who is seeking you out, or who you are seeking out on social media. Guard your covenants, especially those with your spouse, with your very lives. 

A few years ago I never would have seen this happening. No one is immune. 

so sad to hear. prayiing and hoping for their return.

I'm not sure the advice is being careful what source you go to can be valid any longer. It also is not the root of the real problem. I say that not by way of criticism of the comment or anything, but by way of focus -- by that I mean what the focus of our efforts to help others should be. The "don't read anti-mormon stuff" just doesn't work in the age of information/internet. It's really more about why they're reading that stuff in the first place. There are plenty of people who are very, very well versed in those things and have no crisis of faith at all.

So what should our focus be? The same as it always has been. The things of the Spirit may only be known by the Spirit. God stands revealed or not at all. We have to know the church is true because God has told us that the church is true through the Spirit, and then all the anti-Mormon stuff in the world doesn't stand up.

There is also another simple principle that we learn even in primary but then we seem to forget part of it. We know that the wise man who builds his house upon the rock will not be washed away. But we seem to forget what that rock is. The teaching is that those who hear the word of God and do it will not fall when the storms come. I bring this up also by way of counsel for how we should exhort those who struggle.

I want to add as well, particularly in light of the fact that I know my posts can come across sometimes as emotionless, logical and cold, that I have recently gone through the same thing with family. I cried a lot.

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

]\

I want to add as well, particularly in light of the fact that I know my posts can come across sometimes as emotionless, logical and cold, that I have recently gone through the same thing with family. I cried a lot.

I'm sorry you went through that. Your family is in my prayers as well.

Perhaps all of us should continue to pray for our families, and of course, each other. 

Eowyn, I am so sorry to hear this.  My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

The majority of my children are struggling with their testimonies.  None of them have actually left the church, but they are only semi active.  They seem to believe, but yet they allow other activities get in the way of church attendance.  And, their children aren't going to church and participating in Primary, etc. on a regular basis.  My youngest sister, who at one time was so strong, has left the church since her divorce.  I have many nieces and nephews who grew up in strong active families who have left the church.  My heart hurts.  I pray that good people will be in their lives who will help them regain their faith.  I pray that I might be an example and a beacon of light to them.  I pray that I might remain strong.  I keep telling myself to trust in the Lord and Heavenly Father.  They know of the needs of our family members and friends.  I also trust in the knowledge that we have family on the other side of the veil who are also working to help our families.  I have a strong testimony of this.  We are not alone in this.  We have heavenly help.

we have family on the other side of the veil who are also working to help our families

I also have a very strong testimony of this. Yesterday, when I found out one brother is leaving his wife, I though, "I'm kind of glad Dad isn't here to see this." Then I realized, he is seeing it, and from where he is, maybe he can have even more influence on his sons than he did here with a sick and limited body.

Thank you all, friends. As always your words and compassion are a comfort. 

I see this in every ward I've been in.  What I see as the problem is that members become part of the world.  They accept the ways of the world as their way and the way of the world is Satan's way.  It has crept in mainly through the media: mostly TV, then movies and the radio.  I think that any Latter-day Saint who watches 98% of all TV and movies is opening himself up to accepting some of the ways of the world as normal.  All it takes is the acceptance of just one worldly "truth" to open the door to accepting just one more worldly "truth," and then another, and another.... 

The only safeguard against deception is correct knowledge confirmed by the Holy Spirit.  I highly recommend the following two talks.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2004/10/be-not-deceived?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1989/04/alternate-voices?lang=eng

On February 18, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Eowyn said:

A hug.  That's what you hope to gain, because it's what people need when hearts are breaking.

*HUG*  I'm sorry your family is going through this, that you're going through this.  It might not be too much, but know that you guys are in my prayers.