"Oh, just put on a cardigan or jacket..."

Backroads

I want to know if this is some bizarre piece of judgment on my part or if I am vindicated in calling this tacky: I hate the idea of layering over my garments. Now, I do have some layering. I will wear camis under some shirts as my chest is just so that it can be hard to find a shirt that is properly modest.

However, what I don't like is buying sleeveless dresses that obviously show my garment sleeves with the plan of tossing a jacket over it. It just seems like a fashion mistake.

It also drives me nuts when other women do it because I see so many oopsies. Now, I realize no one's eyes will be burned from their sockets upon seeing a glimpse of the garment and I realize garment slip-ups happen to the best of people.

But why am I throwing on clothes with some huge plan for layering stuff just so I can wear them?

I have really narrow shoulders so every shirt I wear is usually on the edge of my shoulders (thus showing my garments), so I always have to have a DownEast layering shirt underneath. So I don't ever have a problem with that, since I already have a layer on underneath that covers my garments. It probably looks strange to non-LDS people who don't know why I have a shirt on underneath my shirt, but it helps me to not have to worry about my garments showing and makes me feel a little bit more secure. 

• 2 years later...

I imagine because it enables women to wear something that isn't from DownEast or Lularoe. 

Showing up in the exact same dress (and sometimes same color or pattern!) as a third of the ward is generally a bigger "fashion mistake" than layering or a bit of underwear flash.

Layering with visible underwear is a legitimate fashion trend right now. Models all over the runaway are wearing completely sheer tops with lacy bralettes. The bralettes are meant to be seen. Now garments aren't meant to be seen, but from an outsider's perspective, they might see a flash of lacy white as jumping on a trend not a fashion mistake. 

I try not to judge the fashion of LDS women in general because garments are not designed for comfort, fashion, or even a good fit on the variable female body. When women are expected to be all sorts of attractive in and out of LDS culture but now have to deal with ill-fitting, inconvenient, and uncomfortable underwear...just let it be. 

On 2/19/2016 at 8:04 PM, Backroads said:

It also drives me nuts when other women do it because I see so many oopsies. Now, I realize no one's eyes will be burned from their sockets upon seeing a glimpse of the garment and I realize garment slip-ups happen to the best of people.

Some hot or cold places, it's not that unusual to wear an athletic base layer (like UnderArmor IsoChill) under regular clothes.  It has multiple advantages, including dispersing sweat a bit before it gets to the outer layer, so your shirt doesn't show armpit or seat belt sweat spots.  You could look for the cheap WalMart versions (or the good ones if you want the full thermal effects) in colors that go with your outfits.

Edited by NightSG

I do this.  A lot.  The first layer is simply a shell - so all I want out of it is the design of the front part that I intend to expose.  Then I layer something over it in some matching or contrasting color depending on the look I want.  The effect is a layered look without the actual layers.  So, I can have the look of winter New York in Sunny Florida.

This is also great for people with anatomical challenges - like if you're short and wide... faking layers can visually slim down and add an illusion of length.

Of course you never ever ever remove the layer - as a matter of fact, some of them I pin down just to make sure they REALLY don't separate in a non-intentioned manner.  Because then it would be defeating the purpose.  So, in a sense, the layered look is one single outfit worn over garments and not multiple separates.

Fashion is all illusion, dahling.

14 hours ago, NightSG said:

Some hot or cold places, it's not that unusual to wear an athletic base layer (like UnderArmor IsoChill) under regular clothes.  It has multiple advantages, including dispersing sweat a bit before it gets to the outer layer, so your shirt doesn't show armpit or seat belt sweat spots.  You could look for the cheap WalMart versions (or the good ones if you want the full thermal effects) in colors that go with your outfits.

A garment can actually do that.  Especially with the new materials they have now.  No more need for... what we call at my house... rash guards.

P.S.  So, this is my second trip where I traveled with all my belongings inside one carry-on bag.  My travel mission is to be able to have 7 unique ensembles, one for each day of the week, plus Church clothes.  It doesn't matter how long the trip is - 7 days, 1 year, no matter.  You wash your clothes once a week and wear them again the next week.

First trip was last winter to Colorado.  So... I fit several outfits good for 7 days of unique ensembles thick enough to survive winter in one carry-on.  2nd trip was the super hot Philippines, which should have been easier to fit on a carry-on but I had to attend a wedding so I needed to pack a long gown with the matching high heels into the carry-on in addition to my Sunday high heels... so I almost didn't make it because the shoes alone took almost half the space!

Anyway, this was a breeze to do with layers.  My winter ensemble had outer layers matched with thermals.  So I can mix-match pieces to put either as an outer design layer or an inner warmth layer that you can't see so you can wear the same shirt twice in a row.  Same idea with hot weather outfits but this time I needed all the space I can get so I used 7 colored camisoles with 3 different short-sleeve cardigans to make 7+ different unique outfits.  I brought 3 additional t-shirts I can use as either an outer layer or an inner layer... I have more than 7 days worth of unique ensembles especially as I have 3 different bottoms that I can mix-and-match with.  Put one long black skirt in the pile and you got several options for Sunday clothes.

So, if you're on a shoe-string budget - you can use fake-layers to make tons of different ensembles out of a few pieces and you can live off of a 40 liter sized closet using camisoles that roll into tiny spaces for color splash.

Edited by anatess2

I buy shirts that have built in jackets that go with them. It’s my favorite type of shirt.  The outer jacket can’t be removed because it’s sewn onto the shirt.

I do wear camisoles under some of my summer tops. The style these days seems to have cut-outs or a lace inset that would show garments, so I wear a cami underneath.

14 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Aaaahhrrmmm... I think it's no bueno.  Not many people can pull off a bolero look.  You have to have the right chest proportions for it - too big and you look like you're in a straitjacket (the website you linked show models who look like this!), too small and you look like you have massive shoulders.

And the sleeveywonders - this has potential but those modelled look tacky.