Fight for Your Marriage

I hope you all don't mind me posting about my blog, but a few months ago some comments made by a reader got me thinking about the conversations my wife and I had in the process of finding our way to a marriage where intimacy was a source of joy for us both rather than hurt and stress, and several conversations I had with a friend who was in a similar but worse situation in his marriage.  It occurred to me that all these conversations and nearly all my blog posts fit neatly under the heading of 'Fight for your marriage'. 

I decided to pull it all together in a two part post, but it wound up being a 4 part series.  Now it is done and I'm rather proud of it.  If I were to write a book on marriage, it would probably be based on what is there.  I know for some of you this isn't the information you marriage needs but it hope it is helpful to at least some people.  I would certainly appreciate your reading it, commenting on it there (including constructive criticisms), and sharing it with anybody you feel could benefit from it.  Most of my hits on my blog actually come from non-LDS marriage sites for some reason and I'd really rather like to reach a more LDS audience.

The link for part one is http://latterday-marriage.blogspot.ca/2015/05/fight-for-your-marriage-part-1.html

Edited by Latter-Day Marriage

Honestly thought blogs were dead a while ago, so I was surprised to see one up and active. Read several of you posts. Didn't find anything disagreeable, and many things very interesting related to intimacy. Keep up the good work.

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest MormonGator
13 hours ago, Latter-Day Marriage said:

I hope you all don't mind me posting about my blog,The link for part one is http://latterday-marriage.blogspot.ca/2015/05/fight-for-your-marriage-part-1.html

People who share their blogs are losers. 

By the way, go to mine too!

(I love blogs. Sure, people say they are dated, but they are also fun ways to express yourself. Don't feel guilty about having one at all!) 

Edited by MormonGator

3 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Where did you come up with this from? Blogs aren't dead. They aren't as trendy as they were once. But dead?

I have absolutely nothing against blogs;) My limited sphere of exposure (family/sisters in the ward) has completely dried up in favor of things like Facebook. 
If they are still alive and kicking... great!

• 2 months later...
On 21/02/2016 at 3:16 PM, Latter-Day Marriage said:

I hope you all don't mind me posting about my blog, but a few months ago some comments made by a reader got me thinking about the conversations my wife and I had in the process of finding our way to a marriage where intimacy was a source of joy for us both rather than hurt and stress, and several conversations I had with a friend who was in a similar but worse situation in his marriage.  It occurred to me that all these conversations and nearly all my blog posts fit neatly under the heading of 'Fight for your marriage'. 

I decided to pull it all together in a two part post, but it wound up being a 4 part series.  Now it is done and I'm rather proud of it.  If I were to write a book on marriage, it would probably be based on what is there.  I know for some of you this isn't the information you marriage needs but it hope it is helpful to at least some people.  I would certainly appreciate your reading it, commenting on it there (including constructive criticisms), and sharing it with anybody you feel could benefit from it.  Most of my hits on my blog actually come from non-LDS marriage sites for some reason and I'd really rather like to reach a more LDS audience.

The link for part one is http://latterday-marriage.blogspot.ca/2015/05/fight-for-your-marriage-part-1.html

Lots of people are fighting for their marriage these days. Probably because they think it's like land ownership, and they have to defend their castle of love from all the other single princesses and black knights who roam their lands.

Edited by letmeoff

2 hours ago, letmeoff said:

Lots of people are fighting for their marriage these days. Probably because they think it's like land ownership, and they have to defend their castle of love from all the other single princesses and black knights who roam their lands.

A lot of people are fighting for their marriages because they value them, they value the concepts of commitment and family, and they love their children and don't want those precious little ones to be damaged by not having a their father or mother in their home.

Marriage is far more than a convenience, a license to have sex. Marriage is the foundation of civilization.

Marriage is worth fighting for.

Lehi

15 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

A lot of people are fighting for their marriages because they value them, they value the concepts of commitment and family, and they love their children and don't want those precious little ones to be damaged by not having a their father or mother in their home.

Marriage is far more than a convenience, a license to have sex. Marriage is the foundation of civilization.

Marriage is worth fighting for.

Lehi

Wasn't like that in the beginning.

16 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Marriage is the foundation of civilization.

Clarification / expansion, it is the foundation of eternity.

1 minute ago, letmeoff said:

Wasn't like that in the beginning.

The beginning of what?  Eternity? This Earth?  Mortality? Mankind's existence on this earth?  I testify that marriage and family are indeed "from the beginning" and meant to be eternal.

1 minute ago, zil said:

Even if he claims to be a latter day saint [sic], it seems unlikely that letmeoff has a deep testimony.

Lehi

1 minute ago, letmeoff said:

God didn't marry Adam & Eve, they were created partners.

Fundamental LDS doctrine.

God gave Eve to Adam. He married (or, more accurately, He sealed) them.

Lehi

7 minutes ago, zil said:

The beginning of what?  Eternity? This Earth?  Mortality? Mankind's existence on this earth?  I testify that marriage and family are indeed "from the beginning" and meant to be eternal.

Actually you're wrong, there was no marriage in the beginning. It happened soon after the fall, so unfall and you'll see.

Just now, letmeoff said:

Yeah he did, and he's the only one that can.

He has delegated that power to one man, Thomas S. Monson. President Monson has, in turn, delegated that power to a few men in each Temple.

But "in the beginning", Adam and Eve were married, and marriage is the basis for civilization.

Lehi

12 minutes ago, letmeoff said:

Actually you're wrong, there was no marriage in the beginning. It happened soon after the fall, so unfall and you'll see.

God married them in Eden, before the Fall.

Lehi

1 minute ago, LeSellers said:

He has delegated that power to one man, Thomas S. Monson. President Monson has, in turn, delegated that power to a few men in each Temple.

But "in the beginning", Adam and Eve were married, and marriage is the basis for civilization.

Lehi

Is it really? Or is it community.

Just now, letmeoff said:

Is it really? Or is it community.

Is what really? Marriage the foundation of civilization, or is community the foundation of civilization? Or is marriage the foundation of community?

Lehi

2 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Is what really? Marriage the foundation of civilization, or is community the foundation of civilization? Or is marriage the foundation of community?

Lehi

No, community is the foundation of a relationship. With God and with each other.

14 hours ago, letmeoff said:

Married them how? There's no marriage vows in the bible, and didn't Jesus make it clear later on to discontinue making vows.

Genisis 2

And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a awoman, and brought her unto the man.

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and aflesh of my flesh: she shall be called bWoman, because she was taken out of Man.

24 Therefore shall a aman leave his bfather and his mother, and shall ccleave unto his dwife: and they shall be eone flesh.

25 And they were both anaked, the man and his wife, and were not bashamed.

When:  As you can see above, Adam and Eve were husband and wife, hence they were married.   The fall doesn't happen until the next chapter. 

How:  Marriage is a priesthood covenant between a man, a woman and God, not a vow.  God most certainly has the power and authority to institute a marriage covenant.  The marriage covenant is sacred and not recorded in the Bible due to it's sacred nature.  Those who have a temple recommend can hear it when they attend a sealing in a temple. The marriage vows the world uses (till death do you part etc.) are the world's creation. 

Also, I'm not sure where you get that there is some kind of ban on making vows.  Acts 18:18 has a missionary companion of Paul shaving his head due to a vow and there no condemnation of him for making a vow.  Likewise in Acts 21:23-24 no condemnation for making a vow, the only places a vow is mentioned in the New Testament.  D&C 59:11 says " 11  Nevertheless thy vows shall be offered up in righteousness on all days and at all times; "