Unable to login to LDS.net

NeedleinA

Just as a heads up. For the past 3 days I have not been able to login to LDS.net. So, a couple of thoughts/suggestions...

1. I was locked out of the site, both on my home computer, phone and work computer.
2. This leads me to believe there was some work happening on the site during that time as I received a variety of error messages as I attempted to login??
3. If there was work being done on the site, it would be nice if there was a notice on the site letting users know. A simple statement like:
"Site maintenance currently in progress, this may affect some users ability to login". Something like that. 
4. I surely couldn't have been the only one locked out. I wonder which current and potential users got locked out, frustrated or just moved on elsewhere?
5. I realize an outside company are doing these updates, but it sure would nice to see a simple "Site maintenance in progress notice" from them. 

My 2 cents.

Yes, I realize the site is free. Yes, I realize the site is privilege, etc. I offer this suggestion as a way to "help" the site during this time of transition;) 

That's why we now have a facebook page where I can keep people updated. One specifically for the forums. :)

Plus the site wasn't down during this.  Unless we bring the site down I can't find a way to put out a message.  Just that our log in system went haywire.  And it didn't affect everyone.  I couldn't even get in to post that we were having log in issues. :)

Also it wasn't an outside company attempting to fix it this time.  It was our own team of technicians.

Thanks Pam. I was unaware that you had a Facebook page for the forum specifically. I'll have to try to find that in the future and not take it personally that I can't login, hah:D

Edited by NeedleinA

4 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Thanks Pam. I was unaware that you had a Facebook page for the forum specifically. I'll have to try to find that in the future and not take it personally that I can't login, hah:D

Well you won't be able to find it because it's a secret group. :)

31 minutes ago, pam said:

Well you won't be able to find it because it's a secret group. :)

You might see it if you put on a pink tutu, twirl around 2 times, click your heels three times and say, "I'm a pretty little bunny" in your best Shirley Temple voice. But, you have to record that and put the video on FB after you friend all of us. 

Between "secret groups" and a "pink tutu"... who does one believe around here?<_<

If it is secret, then it doesn't help the public know the real forum is having issues. If you have to post pink tutu videos to see it, I'd be jailed pronto!

4 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Between "secret groups" and a "pink tutu"... who does one believe around here?<_<

If it is secret, then it doesn't help the public know the real forum is having issues. If you have to post pink tutu videos to see it, I'd be jailed pronto!

This is just a suggestion - I don't know who does what, but, if I were in charge of the universe, when / if the forums are offline (or it's known they will be intermittently offline), I would simply put a little notice bar at the top of lds.net (similar in format to the current "Enter the photography contest" banner), stating that the forums are getting maintenance, or I would change the "Forum" menu item there to temporarily point to an lds.net article explaining that the forums are getting maintenance.  (I assume lds.net is run on some kind of CMS which allows articles to be written and menu items to point to article categories or individual articles.  If I'm wrong, and all this isn't a quick and simple administrator change in the back end, then nevermind.)

Something like that would enable members and the public to know that the forums are being worked on, and if an article were used, updates could be made with status and estimated downtime...

(Part of me thinks someone must have thought of this before, so there's a good reason why it's not done, but I'm putting it out there in case it hasn't been needed before, so no one ever had a reason to consider it.)

Thanks again to the team!