Conor McGregor

Vort

McGregor is moving up TWO weight classes to face Nate Diaz. On a strictly cage level, I'm a big fan of the Diaz brothers, but I don't think Nate will have any answers to McGregor. I'm just amazed at a guy moving up two weight classes and almost certainly still being the favorite, against at least a gatekeeper-level fighter. Almost makes me want to buy the PPV.

Edited by Vort

Yeah, Diaz at 170... he's not gonna do it.

But then UFC has been surprising us lately.

Jones is back in the ring or so my husband says.  He's not liking that decision.

Did you see that last Bellator match with Dada?  That was... uhm... embarrassing.

I did not see it. Sounded pretty awful.

Jones: The guy is my entry in the GOAT contest. I'm glad to see him back, though on a moral level I am not convinced that MMA is a good thing. But from a fan perspective, I'm very happy that Jones is back.

It should be acknowledge that, even though he's only 5'9", McGregor is an absolutely enormous featherweight. He probably walks around at middleweight, which is three weight classes above his MMA title weight -- and unlike boxing weight classes, MMA weight classes are huge, like 15 pounds. Welterweight should be right up his alley. When he finally gets around to fighting dos Anjos for the lightweight title, I would not be surprised if he is actually the favorite. His cutting to featherweight is and always has been ridiculous. I think his plan is to clean out featherweight (check), then start moving up the weight classes so he doesn't have to make the hellacious cuts any more.

Of course, a lot can happen very quickly in MMA, so this all may be outdated in a month.

Edited by Vort

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...