Filthy Lucre

Jojo Bags

10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

These duplicate posts have to stop! Even I get tired of repeating my brilliant and witty points twice in a row! 

And even I get tired of hearing your brilliance!

The duplicate posts are due to a lag in the LDS.net server.  It looks like you haven't posted.  So, you hit the button again.  But it actually did send.  Then you just sent it again.  Have patience, Gator-san.

I didn't really want to post anything else, but since the new improved website gave me two for the price of one, I need to put something in here.

I was locked out again. 

The website still won't 'remember me' when I come back.

One of my favorite things about Sacrament meeting is the women singing.  They sing so nice.

dc

Edited by David13

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Have patience, Gator-san.

Aye aye cap. :: Folds hands in a prayer form and bows to the greatness that is Carb :: 

Edited by MormonGator

12 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Aye aye cap. :: Folds hands in a prayer form and bows to the greatness that is Carb :: 

As long as we understand each other.  Errm... just so I'm clear.  That was a joke.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

As long as we understand each other.

"All around the world everywhere I go, No one understands me no one knows, What I'm trying to say."-Opening lyrics to "You Speak my Language" by the Boston based band, Morphine. 

5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Following the logic I'm laying down, one might as well ask if a good LDS man can be a gynecologist.  I figure the answer to that is also yes.  Although here in Colorado Springs, we got a heck of a lot more LDS anesthesiologists than gynocologists.

I don't see that as good logic at all. Or, in other words, it does not follow that the fact that we should avoid prurient our crass things means that we should avoid medical professions.

1 hour ago, David13 said:

Oil & gas.

Military & law enforcement.

Every week in HP we have a different topic.  This week it was Vietnam military operations.

dc

Last year I had to sit another member of my branch's elder's quorum down and explain to him the intricacies of Gamergate. 

Specifically, I had to explain that most mainstream media outlets only presented one side of the issue back when it first happened, and so people needed to go to "non-traditional" news sources like Breitbart to get the full picture. (Nutshell rendition: individuals on both sides of the Gamergate controversy have been subjected to violence, intimidation, and death threats. This includes an incident where a discussion panel meant to examine whether or not GG had any merit to their questions about journalistic ethics had to relocate after receiving nearly a dozen bomb threats called in by people who didn't want that panel to convene.)

On 2/29/2016 at 7:55 PM, The Folk Prophet said:

This isn't relevant to the discussion as to whether seeing an R-rated movie in the US as a canary in the coal mine for members is a justifiable reason to do so. If there's no one going into the dangerous coal mines, then what's the canary for again? Don't go into the coal mines marked "DANGER". Whether the government's marking of the coal mines as dangerous or not is consistent is well beyond the point. Sure...take the canary into the coal mines that aren't marked "DANGER". But the ones that are already marked...we've already been counseled to stay out by the leaders of the church. So once again...what's the canary for? And how they mark their coal mines as to safety in England or other countries doesn't change a thing in the US as to which ones we should and should not enter.

"Research" is not the concern. Viewing is.

So is such counsel for US members of the church only? Or does it apply to all LDS members worldwide? Should British LDS members heed to the rating guidelines provided by the United States only, or that of their own country only, or both? Is a movie acceptable for a US LDS member to consider seeing because it's rating a PG-15 in the US despite higher rating in other locations, but not for a British LDS member to consider seeing the same movie because it's rated an 18 in the UK?

I'm terms of your analogy, would you consider going into a mine because the US rated it as safe, despite the warnings of it being dangerous by other countries? What about the other way around?

I'm glad you have such faith in the rating system provide by a single entity. But for me, I take into account many more factors before making a decision as I see the world as far less black and white than you do.

Edited by Mahone

21 minutes ago, Mahone said:

I'm glad you have such faith in the rating system provide by a single entity. But for me, I take into account many more factors before making a decision as I see the world as far less black and white than you do.

I have never understood this line of reasoning. This is not a matter of "having faith in" the MPAA rating system. It is a matter of recognizing that if a secular ratings board has rated a movie as "restricted" for sex, violence, and/or filthy language, then it's approximately 100% sure that it is not a movie that will engender spiritual growth. This is obvious, right?

Guest LiterateParakeet
11 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

A branch president's "approval" of something has no bearing on what is and isn't appropriate behavior, the direction we are going with our spirits, toward or away from our exaltations.

For clarification of my thought process, and not judging anyone...(I should make this my sig line, if we still had them...)

Recently someone in a class I was in quoted Elder Oaks talk about judging:

Third, to be righteous, an intermediate judgment must be within our stewardship. We should not presume to exercise and act upon judgments that are outside our personal responsibilities. https://www.lds.org/ensign/1999/08/judge-not-and-judging.p14?lang=eng

We also talk about stewardship quite a bit here, so the topic has been on my mind.  Thus, my earlier comment about the Branch President.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

My BIL once declared the Varsity Theater to be "hypocritical" because in order for us to watch a film with all the words bleeped out and the "naughty scenes" cut out, they had to hire someone to watch the movie to do the editing in the first place.

So, what are we to think about this?

If a movie you buy needs to be edited for inappropriate content, you've already enriched an immoral industry.  Employing another person to bleep out filth is requiring another person to view filth, which makes you complicit in their sin.

8 hours ago, MormonGator said:

If you think a Mormon should not read Shakespeare or go to the Louvre because of content, I truly believe you are misinterpreting prophetic counsel. There is a huge difference between modern movies (ironically, I don't watch many movies and I tend to agree with you that they are needlessly vulgar) and classical works of art. 

The problem with "classic works of art" is that they may still be inappropriate no matter how old they may be.  I don't see any difference between a nude painting that is 500 years old and an R-rated movie made last year.

6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Just be careful you (not you as in Vort) don't 1) view everything as sinful. Just because you don't personally like it, doesn't mean it's sinful. (again, not you as in Vort) and 2) think you (again, not you as in Vort) are holier than everyone else just because we might watch sports, go to art galleries or read the classics.  

I see Vort standing for truth and righteousness without compromise.

3 hours ago, David13 said:

I didn't really want to post anything else, but since the new improved website gave me two for the price of one, I need to put something in here.

I was locked out again. 

The website still won't 'remember me' when I come back.

One of my favorite things about Sacrament meeting is the women singing.  They sing so nice.

dc

I long for the old and unimproved, but tried and true web site.

Guest MormonGator
9 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

The problem with "classic works of art" is that they may still be inappropriate no matter how old they may be.  I don't see any difference between a nude painting that is 500 years old and an R-rated movie made last year.

Wrong. If you look at The David by Michelangelo and you think it's "inappropriate" that shows more on you than the David. You look at the context. You look at the setting. You look at what it has meant to the world. Your typical R rated movie has none of what The David or a Degas painting has. Than again, not everyone has an eye for artwork, and there is nothing immoral about it. 

9 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

I see Vort standing for truth and righteousness without compromise.

If you think it's righteous to talk about not reading Shakespeare or the classics, that is certainly your right. What could BYU teach in their English classes if you avoid Shakespeare? Should they not teach English or art at all? 

Edited by MormonGator

16 hours ago, Vort said:

I think I do not agree. I speak as a lover of Shakespeare, one of the hordes who genuflects to his greatness. But if the Spirit teaches a man to avoid all evil, even to the level of a raunchy Shakespearean pun, then that is what the man must do if he would behold the face of God and glory in his presence.

It seems that my life has demanded that I walk towards evil and interact with it on occasion.  I'm grateful to not get conflicting teaching from the spirit - who has never taught me to avoid all evil.  To the contrary, the spirit has been with me on occasion as I've approached and dealt with evil, guiding me, and I assume protecting me a little.

I'm not trained or certified in anything, I don't have a career in any of this.  Yet my life has brought me into contact (usually as a family relation) with: Child molesters, parents who enabled and protected them, illicit drug dealers and users, felons, alcoholics, and people seeking to end their own lives early.  Sometimes, I've had very long and extensive interactions and relationships with these people, trying my best to be a good person.  I was raised by one of them.  Once, "avoid evil" became the right thing to do, equaling "sever ties".  It fractured a close family and sent waves of grief and sadness that continues to rattle four generations, and may impact the eternities.  The rest of the time, the correct answer is to face evil, walk towards it, try to find ways to embrace people who are embracing it.  I'm not sure if I've ever been particularly good at it, but I've tried hard.

You live through stuff like that, and it molds you.  You develop an affinity for certain kinds of people who are struggling with certain kinds of evil.  Then you go look at a thread where people are aghast that someone could watch R-rated movies as a job, and you have to think kind of hard to see how your worldview and theirs interact.   I watched SLC Punk.  It's a raunchy, horrible show full of sex, violence, and bad language, and you should all stay away from it.  Yet I was led by the spirit throughout much of the movie.  My love for my fellow man was increased. I am a better disciple of Christ having watched it, than I was before.  I think a big reason, was the movie was not entertainment - it was research.  Past all the nasty and usual emotional manipulation, it was full of surprisingly mature twists and depths, and I learned how to love the sinners in my life as I watched it.  

If you wonder if the spirit might have something to teach you about that side of the fence, here is a safe way to explore it.  Can you feel the spirit here?

If so, then maybe go watch the PG-13 New York Doll movie.  If not, if you are only hearing a bunch of dudes just singing music, then watching the movie probably won't do much for you.

Guest MormonGator
17 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

If so, then maybe go watch the PG-13 New York Doll movie.  If not, if you are only hearing a bunch of dudes just singing music, then watching the movie probably won't do much for you.

LOVE THIS. Seen it many times. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm not trained or certified in anything, I don't have a career in any of this.  Yet my life has brought me into contact (usually as a family relation) with: Child molesters, parents who enabled and protected them, illicit drug dealers and users, felons, alcoholics, and people seeking to end their own lives early.  Sometimes, I've had very long and extensive interactions and relationships with these people, trying my best to be a good person.  I was raised by one of them.  

(edited just because we don't need another version of the song...though it was beautiful)

NeuroTypical, I thought this whole post was beautifully said, thanks. What a great way to start my day!

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest MormonGator
15 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

NeuroTypical, I thought this whole post was beautifully said, thanks. What a great way to start my day!

NT made my day too. Any day started with the New York Dolls is wonderful. "When I say I'm in love you best believe I'm in luv L-U-V" 

16 hours ago, Mahone said:

Should British LDS members heed to the rating guidelines provided by the United States only, or that of their own country only, or both?

Both.

Is a movie acceptable for a US LDS member to consider seeing because it's rating a PG-15 in the US despite higher rating in other locations, but not for a British LDS member to consider seeing the same movie because it's rated an 18 in the UK?

I can't speak to the UK rating system.

I'm terms of your analogy, would you consider going into a mine because the US rated it as safe, despite the warnings of it being dangerous by other countries? What about the other way around?

Why would anyone go into any mine marked dangerous by anyone?

I'm not quite sure what point your trying to get at, what your objective is, or what you're trying to justify.