How to replace caffeine

Sunday21

On 4/14/2016 at 7:47 PM, letmeoff said:

It's the sugar that's the problem, it's toxic even at moderate levels.

On 4/15/2016 at 10:46 AM, letmeoff said:

Actually the body doesn't need sugar, as in cane sugar.

It's called propaganda, there is some truth mixed mostly with lies. And why, because sugar is a delivery system for other chemicals in foods.

Like tryptophan found in chocolate

Potential side effects of tryptophan include nausea, diarrhea, drowsinesslightheadedness, headache, dry mouthblurred vision, sedation, euphoria, and nystagmus (involuntary eye movements). Because tryptophan has not been thoroughly studied in a clinical setting, possible side effects and interactions with other drugs are not well known.

letmeoff... you're incorrect in this.  If the body doesn't need sugar, then your tongue wouldn't have sweet receptors.  As a matter of fact, the energy fuel that powers your body comes from sugar molecules.  Without sugar, your body will simply.... cease to function.

That said, not all sugars are made the same... there are different kinds of sugar molecules - glucose, fructose, sucrose, etc.  These are all sugars.

Honey, for example, is pure glucose.  Honey is the nectar of the gods or liquid gold that is hailed in the homeopathic world as an immune booster, memory booster, energy booster, etc. etc.

Grapes, another example, has a higher sugar content per serving than a traditional chocolate chip cookie.  But, it's pretty obvious that grapes is healthier than a chocolate chip cookie.  How is that?  That's because grapes is made up of mostly natural glucose and fructose with a very little bit of sucrose thrown in.  Glucose can be directly processed by the muscles without further breakdown.  Extra glucose are stored in fat cells for later use.  Fructose (the sweetest of them all) is sent to the liver for processing to convert it to glucose.  Fructose, therefore, is a slow-metabolized sugar.   Sucrose is broken down into glucose and fructose in the small intestines before it is sent to its processing organs.

A traditional chocolate chip cookie, on the other hand, usually contains refined sugars.  Refined sugar, also called table sugar, is basically sugar cane (a naturally occurring grass that is as healthy as grapes) ground to extract the juice and then boiled at very high temperatures, killing off all its beneficial nutrients and bonding the glucose and fructose together to result in 99% sucrose crystals of nothing but empty calories.  It is very easy to overload on these unhealthy sweeteners because you can easily pour an entire tablespoon full of table sugar into your lemonade which equates to 2 cups of grapes or 3 sticks of sugar cane....

Now, most Filipinos know that chomping on one stick of sugar cane takes a while... such that if you've chomped on 3 sticks in one sitting, your jaw would be sore the next day.  When we climb the mountain by our house, we take one stick and tie it to our back like a ninja sword.  We chomp on the stick to give us the needed energy to make it to the top of the mountain.  And usually, you still have half the stick to munch on on the way down.

Now, high-fructose corn syrup is even worse.  Every processed drink in the US seem to contain high-fructose corn syrup.  This is basically corn starch (long chains of glucose molecules) that is turned into fructose (sweeter than glucose) by adding bacteria enzymes.  So, not only does the process end up killing off all the beneficial nutrients of corn, it adds harmful chemicals in turning it into fructose.  And, like table sugar, you can easily overload on it.

So yes... the fatigue problem that the OP has... that can be a lack of energy to power the brain... the answer of which is a boost of good sugar... so grapes and its naturally occurring whole-food sugar content goes a long way to fueling that brain on the short-term.

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

letmeoff... you're incorrect in this.  If the body doesn't need sugar, then your tongue wouldn't have sweet receptors.  As a matter of fact, the energy fuel that powers your body comes from sugar molecules.  Without sugar, your body will simply.... cease to function.

That said, not all sugars are made the same... there are different kinds of sugar molecules - glucose, fructose, sucrose, etc.  These are all sugars.

Honey, for example, is pure glucose.  Honey is the nectar of the gods or liquid gold that is hailed in the homeopathic world as an immune booster, memory booster, energy booster, etc. etc.

Grapes, another example, has a higher sugar content per serving than a traditional chocolate chip cookie.  But, it's pretty obvious that grapes is healthier than a chocolate chip cookie.  How is that?  That's because grapes is made up of mostly natural glucose and fructose with a very little bit of sucrose thrown in.  Glucose can be directly processed by the muscles without further breakdown.  Extra glucose are stored in fat cells for later use.  Fructose (the sweetest of them all) is sent to the liver for processing to convert it to glucose.  Fructose, therefore, is a slow-metabolized sugar.   Sucrose is broken down into glucose and fructose in the small intestines before it is sent to its processing organs.

A traditional chocolate chip cookie, on the other hand, usually contains refined sugars.  Refined sugar, also called table sugar, is basically sugar cane (a naturally occurring grass that is as healthy as grapes) ground to extract the juice and then boiled at very high temperatures, killing off all its beneficial nutrients and bonding the glucose and fructose together to result in 99% sucrose crystals of nothing but empty calories.  It is very easy to overload on these unhealthy sweeteners because you can easily pour an entire tablespoon full of table sugar into your lemonade which equates to 2 cups of grapes or 3 sticks of sugar cane....

Now, most Filipinos know that chomping on one stick of sugar cane takes a while... such that if you've chomped on 3 sticks in one sitting, your jaw would be sore the next day.  When we climb the mountain by our house, we take one stick and tie it to our back like a ninja sword.  We chomp on the stick to give us the needed energy to make it to the top of the mountain.  And usually, you still have half the stick to munch on on the way down.

Now, high-fructose corn syrup is even worse.  Every processed drink in the US seem to contain high-fructose corn syrup.  This is basically corn starch (long chains of glucose molecules) that is turned into fructose (sweeter than glucose) by adding bacteria enzymes.  So, not only does the process end up killing off all the beneficial nutrients of corn, it adds harmful chemicals in turning it into fructose.  And, like table sugar, you can easily overload on it.

So yes... the fatigue problem that the OP has... that can be a lack of energy to power the brain... the answer of which is a boost of good sugar... so grapes and its naturally occurring whole-food sugar content goes a long way to fueling that brain on the short-term.

I am talking about processed cane sugar, nothing else.

18 minutes ago, letmeoff said:

I am talking about processed cane sugar, nothing else.

Well, if that's what you're talking about... then it's not just refined sugar that is not necessary... anything processed is not necessary.  Sugar beets is just as popular as sugar cane in the making of refined sugar.  High-fructose corn syrup is another processed sugar.  Even your "diet sugars" like Equal or Splenda or even refined Agave is more harmful than beneficial.

8 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Honey, for example, is pure glucose. 

Not quite: http://glorybee.com/content/honey-facts-nutrition

Fructose is the predominant sugar at 38.5 percent, followed by glucose at 31 percent. Disac- charides, trisac -charides and oligosaccharides are present in much smaller quantities. Besides carbohydrates, honey contains small amounts of protein, enzymes, vitamins and minerals.

13 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Well, if that's what you're talking about... then it's not just refined sugar that is not necessary... anything processed is not necessary.  Sugar beets is just as popular as sugar cane in the making of refined sugar.  High-fructose corn syrup is another processed sugar.  Even your "diet sugars" like Equal or Splenda or even refined Agave is more harmful than beneficial.

Yes the machine world has taken over.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:51 PM, Carborendum said:

Jajajaja!  I'm Filipino, I have an excuse!

What I meant about pure glucose is that natural honey... unlike table sugar... has glucose that is not bound to fructose (no extra digestion required) whereas grapes have sucrose that has glucose bound to fructose just like table sugar and would require breaking down.  Pure glucose hits the bloodstream and spikes insulin because insulin delivers the glucose immediately... so, in saying that honey is bad for you because it is sugar is not necessarily true... nectar of the gods and all that...

Edited by anatess2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had no idea how addicted to caffeine I was until..I tried living without it! I have resorted to jumping up and down in my office to stay awake.

I have also started jogging in the morning in order to ensure that I am awake during my commute to work. The depths to which I have fallen!

11 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I had no idea how addicted to caffeine I was until..I tried living without it! I have resorted to jumping up and down in my office to stay awake.

I have also started jogging in the morning in order to ensure that I am awake during my commute to work. The depths to which I have fallen!

Exercise!?  Oh, Sunday21, how could you?

Have you attempted a full night's sleep yet? ;):P

1 hour ago, zil said:

Exercise!?  Oh, Sunday21, how could you?

Have you attempted a full night's sleep yet? ;):P

Gad no! Not that desperate yet....

Sounds like the song:

Black socks: They never get dirty. The longer you wear them the stronger they get.

Sometimes, I think of the laundry but something keeps telling me, don't send them yet.no never..no never..don't send them yet!

I taught my niece that song, my sister was mad!