Simple Foods to try?

NeedleinA

So I was thinking about "simple foods/drinks/flavors" that we might share with each other. Looking for ideas that are hopefully simple to find/try/make. I realize there are all kinds of wonderful exotic meals out there, but, that takes a lot of effort sometimes and finding ingredients are hard too, so it might not be realistic to make it for everyone. Any ideas of simple foods / drinks that you think we could try? Share with our families?

Here are three that come to mind for me:

1. Flan: Made by Jell-O. It basically is custard with a sugar syrup. Easy to find, cheap. If you can make pudding, you can make Flan.
2. Hazelnut Chocolate: Find some chocolate with Hazelnut in it and enjoy. German ALDI grocery stores (if in your area) tend to sell a lot of Hazelnut Chocolate stuff. 
3. Curry Ketchup: "Zeisner" is the best brand that we have found. We buy it on Base (Military Commissary) or you can order on Amazon. Great alternative to plain old Ketchup. 

Ideas? 

Is it time for lunch yet?

Edited by NeedleinA

Sister Vort made something absolutely marvelous last week. I think she's doing it again. It was called something like "English potato something-or-other". If you pretend you have French fries made in bacon grease, that's pretty much it.

Cube (or dice, or whatever the term is) the potatoes into, I don't know, maybe 1/2" chunks or so and soak them in water. Then I think she boiled them for a bit. Then you just take your leftover bacon grease, melted in a pan in the oven, and put the potato chunks in it. The grease did not cover the potato chunks, if I remember correctly, so she coated them. Then she added a little salt, possibly some other spice, and baked them for, I think, 45 minutes at 425 or 450 degrees. (That would be Fahrenheit. If you bake them at 450 Celsius, good luck with that.) She may or may not have covered it in aluminum foil, and that may or may not have made any difference in the taste.

I realize have done a very poor job of describing this. But it was simply delicious. My wife is a fabulous cook, so this was a bit more mundane-sounding than most of her creations, But it was just great. Probably not particularly healthy, but when we're talking bacon, the flavor is its own eternal reward.

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Henry Weinhard's Root Beer.

YES. And Vernor's Ginger Ale.

One of my favorite snacks lately is something I call "garlic-free garlic bread". I used to use garlic, but my wife developed an allergy to it (and several other things) when she was pregant with our son. I just add italian seasoning, tarragon, a drizzle of basil-infused olive oil, and a few drops of balsamic vinegar to melted butter, brush it on my bread of choice (I use hamburger buns, it's perfect for making two servings), and throw it in the oven. It's best to put it on the top shelf with the oven set to "broil". Keep a VERY close eye on it, because it doesn't take long for it to go from perfectly golden brown to burnt. Sometimes I'll sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top before throwing it in the oven.

Guest Godless
8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Vernor's -- have you been able to drink a whole glass without coughing?  A glass, not a can.

I always drink it straight from the can.

My all time favorite sandwich is a slice of bread (I use a nice, crusty one from Panera), a slice of good feta or goat cheese and I like to sprinkle some summer savory on top. Toast it in the oven just until the cheese starts to turn brown. Put a slice of fresh tomato on top. I sometimes will put homemade garlic butter on the bread before I place the cheese on it.  Oh my word this is the best during the summer with home grown tomatoes. Wow, my mouth is watering thinking of it. 

On 3/7/2016 at 9:58 AM, NeedleinA said:

So I was thinking about "simple foods/drinks/flavors" that we might share with each other. Looking for ideas that are hopefully simple to find/try/make. I realize there are all kinds of wonderful exotic meals out there, but, that takes a lot of effort sometimes and finding ingredients are hard too, so it might not be realistic to make it for everyone. Any ideas of simple foods / drinks that you think we could try? Share with our families?

Here are three that come to mind for me:

1. Flan: Made by Jell-O. It basically is custard with a sugar syrup. Easy to find, cheap. If you can make pudding, you can make Flan.
2. Hazelnut Chocolate: Find some chocolate with Hazelnut in it and enjoy. German ALDI grocery stores (if in your area) tend to sell a lot of Hazelnut Chocolate stuff. 
3. Curry Ketchup: "Zeisner" is the best brand that we have found. We buy it on Base (Military Commissary) or you can order on Amazon. Great alternative to plain old Ketchup. 

Ideas? 

Is it time for lunch yet?

navajo cornbread-
about 1 handful of corn to about 1 cup of flour, mash it together really well (it should be really sticky when it's at the right consistency, and it's good exercise for the hand) and then flatten into patties (preferably on the thinner side) then cook on a hot surface (I use a frying pan on a medium heat setting, or a bit less) till its a nice golden brown. Goes good with quite a few things, I generally like to put honey or maple syrup on top.