What to do about your death?

Traveler

6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I want to be buried in a Kiss casket with my bible and Book of Mormon. At my funeral I want them "Ring them Bells" by Bob Dylan played, along with "Nearer my God to thee". Other than that, I don't care. 

Looking for autographs?  Not like there's any other reason to take the books along where you're hoping to end up. :P

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Looking for autographs?  Not like there's any other reason to take the books along where you're hoping to end up. :P

LOL! That's awesome! 

21 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

I'm going to make arrangements to be buried on my farm in a family cemetery.  I'm also planning on making my own coffin, probably out of cedar.

Why cedar?  I mean, cedar is nice wood, and I like it and the way it smells.  But.  It's expensive and very hard. 

Pine, pine is the way to go young man.

I never heard of a cedar coffin.  But then, I don't go to many funerals.

dc

11 minutes ago, David13 said:

Why cedar?  I mean, cedar is nice wood, and I like it and the way it smells.  But.  It's expensive and very hard. 

Pine, pine is the way to go young man.

I never heard of a cedar coffin.  But then, I don't go to many funerals.

dc

Maybe he wants to keep the moths away as long as possible... :)

On 3/10/2016 at 11:57 AM, MormonGator said:

The writer Hunter Thompson wanted to be cremated and have his ashes shot out of a cannon. Pam, I heard you were thinking the same right? ;)

The writer Hunter S Thompson also shot himself to death.  In his kitchen.

dc

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, David13 said:

The writer Hunter S Thompson also shot himself to death.  In his kitchen.

dc

I know, I've read many of his works. I'm a huge fan. 

I've been preparing for this in the last year, due to my circumstances all around me, or actually inside me, as some of you may know if you read my earlier posts.

Here in Los Angeles near me they have green something or other.  $15,000.00.  For just a little chunk of real estate not big enough to turn around on.

I'd rather be buried in Utah, maybe a little marker would be nice, name, religion and maybe a slogan.  I found a nice place Pleasant something a few miles south of SLC, south and west.  A pioneer cemetary, so I could be out there with the Saints from the old days.  I think that would be nice.

$500.00.  Yes, 500 bucks and then an additional $500 when they need to dig the hole. 

That's my kind of value.

But I need to visit the location.  And consider the weather.  It will be cold in winter.

dc

There are several reasons that funerals and graves, the associated "stuff" of death, cost so much—two are the most important: monopoly and regulation.

In most USmerican jurisdictions, one must be embalmed, you cannot buy a casket from anyone but a mortician, and, even if you're cremated, you must first be "looked after" at a mortuary. This is a fraction of the list of things the law requires.

It takes years of schooling (not necessarily "education") to become a legal mortician, which keeps (as was the intent) the numbers of morticians low so they can charge even more: professional birth control.

The government, at the behest of the mortuary industry, forces us to line its pockets. Were it the only example of such coercion and fraud, we'd be happy, but the same thing applies to hundreds of other occupations, from barber to veterinarian and more besides.

When the question is "why does it cost so much?", the answer is usually "government interference".

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

A cow-orker's husband passed away about a year ago. He wanted his body donated for science. Indiana University has a hospital in Indianapolis where they receive bodies for science, use them as needed for one year, then cremate them and provide the ashes to the family. She plans on doing the same when she passes. I thought that was a great way to receive necessary cadavers while still allowing the family an economic way of disposing of the body.  

30 minutes ago, beefche said:

cow-orker

Hey! A cow from Ork! Who knew they had cows there too!  Also, I figured they called themselves Orkians, or Orkites, or Orki, Orkans, Orkish, basically anything other than Orkers, but I guess they can call themselves anything they want, right? :P

Guest MormonGator
25 minutes ago, Mahone said:

As I get sent off for cremation, I want the song 'Firestarter' to be playing for the audience. As long as I get that, I'm happy.

Before I give you a cool kids club card-what version of Firestarter? 

Presuming I go first, as per agreement with my wife, I will be cremated in my garments, placed in a double urn, ashed kept until her passing, she shall be cremated in the same manner, her ashes added to the same urn. Our family is directed to bury the urn with a single headstone with both of our information on it. We figure since we're sealed, we might as well continue to keep in the same space in death in the most practical manner. 

It should be quite impressive on the first resurrection when our ashes pop up, begin whirling and swirling about and then having two people suddenly manifest themselves. "Honey, do you know where my socks are"?

• 2 weeks later...

If you write your will so that the family member who wants the more expensive funeral gets his inheritance reduced to pay for it (and send a copy to them while you are alive telling them you are doing that for the specific intention to discourage them from wasting any funds on anything except a green burial (lots of places now allow dead people to be wrapped in a shawl and buried in the dirt in a woodsy area, hauled in your own pickup, grave dug by survivors  which costs slightly less than a cremation if you don't buy an urn), then your whole family will go along with it.

It is also pretty inexpensive to be buried in a Vet's cemetary if  you pick a cheap casket from sam's club or costco.

I think it does families a lot of good for everyone to know what the dead person wanted.  But the fact is that your next of kin generally will decide what happens, and typically anything in a will they won't know about when they are making the arrangements.

We have a family cemetery so whoever is left when I die is more than likely shipping me over there to lie with my kin.

But I really don't care what anybody does with me or my stuff after I die.  Bury me, burn me, plant me, give my liver away... whatever.  I told my husband if you decide to put me in a casket and you don't pick the cheapest box you can find you're wasting your money.