Which is Worse? How bad is sugar?

Traveler

From the thread “Is being overweight a sin?”, there is discussion around the notion of benefits or lack of benefits in the partaking of alcohol.   Thought I would introduce perhaps another controversial topic for discussion.  Concerning the possible benefits or lack of benefits of sugar.  So the question is – which drug (sugar or alcohol) is more addictive and harmful – both in regards to an individual’s health or as a direct cause of death?  Note that falling off a cliff because someone was drunk is an indirect cause of death.

Also when (at what point) does indulging in sugar become excessive and habitual?

The Traveler

I'd vote for sugar as being more dangerous and addictive.

I promotes yeast growth and a host of inflammatory responses, and some evidence points to its being a primary cause of heart attacks and other conditions that have been rising in the past half century.

Lehi

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

From the thread “Is being overweight a sin?”, there is discussion around the notion of benefits or lack of benefits in the partaking of alcohol.   Thought I would introduce perhaps another controversial topic for discussion.  Concerning the possible benefits or lack of benefits of sugar.  So the question is – which drug (sugar or alcohol) is more addictive and harmful – both in regards to an individual’s health or as a direct cause of death?  Note that falling off a cliff because someone was drunk is an indirect cause of death.

Also when (at what point) does indulging in sugar become excessive and habitual?

Now, lithen, buddy.  I can (hic) quit my sugar, any time I want!!!

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 8:58 PM, The Folk Prophet said:

Really? Sugar more toxic than alcohol? So if someone was stuck on a desert island with nothing to eat but either 100% sugar or 100% alcohol they'd die quicker from eating the sugar than downing straight alcohol?

Interesting question - since you asked the question then I would assume that you know the answer.  Or at least think you do. 

For the record - it is my understanding that in our society there is a greater health risk and problem (including direct results in death) from sugar consumption than from alcohol. 

One of the great surprises of my life was when my wife contracted type 1 dubieties and she determined that she needed to eliminate all sugar from her diet and mine as well as I intended to support her.  First that there is hardly a meal that can be purchased at a restaurant that does not have sugar in every course – (appetizers, salad, bread, main course and of course desert.)  Many items prepared in homes contain sugar – few realize that mac and cheese is loaded with sugar and one of the unhealthiest meals for children.

Even among LDS that think themselves healthier and more spiritual than others seldom serve any treat at any function that is not loaded beyond reason with unhealthy amounts of sugar and many members view anyone that turns down such things overloaded with sugar as some extreme nut job that should be criticized for extreme beliefs and habits.  We may criticize many of our inactive friends or non-members for being so addicted to caffeine that they cannot start a day without the drug – but instead must have a sugar fix to start the day.  When the WofW was given, sugar consumption was hardly a problem and on the average a person today will consume more sugar in 3 days than the average person of Joseph’s era would consume in a year.

The number one health problem in the USA today is overweight and the number one contributor to being overweight is sugar - And the reason there is so much sugar in stuff- because it is addictive. I would submit – how to know when someone is addicted?  When they consume more than their body can handle and be healthy – and they would rather ruin their health than cut back – or they have tried to cut back (diet) and discovered that they lack the will power to sustain their good intentions.  But no addict want to have their addiction pointed out to them and few will accept help until they are in fear of dying from their addiction.

The Traveler

18 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

For most of us, there is an achievable balance between ant larvae and honey-glazed sugar bombs. 

Yeah, chocolate-covered ants. Mmmmm. :)

(Yes, I'm joking, no, I've never eaten chocolate-covered ants, though I watched a friend do it...)

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, zil said:

Yeah, chocolate-covered ants. Mmmmm. :)

(Yes, I'm joking, no, I've never eaten chocolate-covered ants, though I watched a friend do it...)

At a fraternity party I saw a guy eat a live goldfish. It was both disgusting and depressing. Disgusting for obvious reasons. Depressing because this doofus got into the same college I did. 

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

At a fraternity party I saw a guy eat a live goldfish. It was both disgusting and depressing. Disgusting for obvious reasons. Depressing because this doofus got into the same college I did. 

Also depressing because that's gotta be a bad way to die (for the poor goldfish).

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, zil said:

Also depressing because that's gotta be a bad way to die (for the poor goldfish).

It gets better. His girlfriend was intelligent, politically active, funny and I gotta say it-flat out gorgeous. She was madly in love with him! All of my friends-even the female ones!-didn't understand what she saw in him. 

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It gets better. His girlfriend was intelligent, politically active, funny and I gotta say it-flat out gorgeous. She was madly in love with him! All of my friends-even the female ones!-didn't understand what she saw in him. 

Clearly she was insane. :estaloco:

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, zil said:

Clearly she was insane. :estaloco:

Blinded by love, I guess. I shouldn't talk. I virtually assure you that several of my exes suffered from that form of insanity when they dated me! 

Guest MormonGator
15 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

No accounting for taste.

Enough about my exes Eowyn. They were nice people. 

Edited by MormonGator

Once you accept your own mortality, threads like this sort of stop being relevant.  Sugar is deadly?  Well, so is fun and sex and dieting and everything else.  Every act brings you closer to the eventual end - there's gotta be something wrong with the amount of obsessing we do about pushing that point out as far as possible.

Are you listening to yourselves?  Y'all are talking about giving up sugar for Pete's sake. 

:P

5 hours ago, Traveler said:

Interesting question - since you asked the question then I would assume that you know the answer.  Or at least think you do. 

For the record - it is my understanding that in our society there is a greater health risk and problem (including direct results in death) from sugar consumption than from alcohol. 

One of the great surprises of my life was when my wife contracted type 1 dubieties and she determined that she needed to eliminate all sugar from her diet and mine as well as I intended to support her.  First that there is hardly a meal that can be purchased at a restaurant that does not have sugar in every course – (appetizers, salad, bread, main course and of course desert.)  Many items prepared in homes contain sugar – few realize that mac and cheese is loaded with sugar and one of the unhealthiest meals for children.

Even among LDS that think themselves healthier and more spiritual than others seldom serve any treat at any function that is not loaded beyond reason with unhealthy amounts of sugar and many members view anyone that turns down such things overloaded with sugar as some extreme nut job that should be criticized for extreme beliefs and habits.  We may criticize many of our inactive friends or non-members for being so addicted to caffeine that they cannot start a day without the drug – but instead must have a sugar fix to start the day.  When the WofW was given, sugar consumption was hardly a problem and on the average a person today will consume more sugar in 3 days than the average person of Joseph’s era would consume in a year.

The number one health problem in the USA today is overweight and the number one contributor to being overweight is sugar - And the reason there is so much sugar in stuff- because it is addictive. I would submit – how to know when someone is addicted?  When they consume more than their body can handle and be healthy – and they would rather ruin their health than cut back – or they have tried to cut back (diet) and discovered that they lack the will power to sustain their good intentions.  But no addict want to have their addiction pointed out to them and few will accept help until they are in fear of dying from their addiction.

The Traveler

I'm confused. Did you answer the question? Did you even address it? While I don't disagree that sugar is/can be addictive and that it is/can be abused, that doesn't answer the question about which would kill you quicker...straight sugar or straight alcohol.

28 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Once you accept your own mortality, threads like this sort of stop being relevant.  Sugar is deadly?  …  Every act brings you closer to the eventual end

No one expects to put dying off indefinitely (although most of us would like to). The difference between what you imagine the motivation to be and the real motivation is stark and important:

Yes, we will all die (absent the Lord's return prior). But there is a world of difference between the way one man dies and the way someone else will go. I want to die in my sleep, unexpectedly, and in full control of my faculties. Healthy living will help me reach that goal. Do I have a guarantee? No, but I want the odds stacked severely in my favor.

Yes, I've made the same covenants most of us here have to eschew tobacco, coffee, tea, alcohol, and all recreational drugs. But why did the Lord set this commandment before us? See Doc&Cov 89, the first and last few verses. Not only do we get the spiritual blessings for obedience, but we get the physical and mental blessings associated with those practices, as well.

Avoiding sugar, and other toxic additives in the SAD (standard American diet) is one way I can painlessly reach my goal of an unexpected death.

Sugar is not worth dying in pain, not worth missing my granddaughters' weddings, not worth spending months or years attached to a room full of machines, taking pain killers, and not worth spending my money on doctors and nursing homes.

Your choices may vary.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

No one expects to put dying off indefinitely (although most of us would like to).

"Every man dies, but I always thought an exception would be made in my case." -William Saroyan 

19 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Sugar is not worth dying in pain, not worth missing my granddaughters' weddings, not worth spending months or years attached to a room full of machines, taking pain killers, and not worth spending my money on doctors and nursing homes.

So not eating any sugar inoculates you from these things?

7 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

So not eating any sugar inoculates you from these things?

It helps, it helps a lot.

The sources I have seen point to massive inflammation from eating sugar, and this inflammation is the root cause of many conditions we'd like to avoid: cancers, heart attacks, strokes, arthritis, lung and liver problems, possibly cataracts, transient pain (like fibromyalgia) and several others.

When I was a kid (and much later), I used sugar as a primary energy source: I'd eat a tablespoonful at a time, just like, well, candy. I have suffered from arthritis since I was 14, had a heart attack two years, ten months, two weeks, and four days ago. I've had five eye operations (including two cataract replacements and three retina re-attachments). No one has pointed specifically to my sugar consumption as the causes of any of these except what I've read in the past three years.

Of all the poisons I have been exposed to, sugar seems to be the most likely trigger for all of these, and, having undergone them all, I do not want to do any of them again.

So, while it's far from all I do, drastically limiting my sugar intake is 'way high up on my list of things I can do to dance at my granddaughters' weddings. Losing 50 pounds is second: I'm down from 239 to 189, and while I can't say I've "kept it off", I can say I haven't let it get nearly as bad as it was (which is easier without sugar, too).

Lehi

I'd be interested in seeing those sources. 

I agree that sugar can be harmful and addictive, but in my experience, most people can't maintain a hardline "no sugar anywhere, ever" rule. I don't think that a little bit of sugar in an otherwise healthy diet is going to send me to an early grave. I do believe that balance is possible, if not very difficult for many. 

I'm sure you're aware that Dr. Mercola is kind of controversial, and not a reliable source as far as traditional Western medicine is concerned... but as I'm not convinced that Western medicine has all the answers, thanks all the same. :)