Political Realization

prisonchaplain

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:15 PM, Jojo Bags said:

In official government documents, there is a total of 72 ways you can be considered a potential domestic terrorist.  People who talk about individual liberty, states rights, are "constitutionalists," believe in the 2nd Amendment, evangelical Christians, those who believe in end time prophecy, are opposed to the U.N., talk about the new world order in a derogatory manner, store food for emergencies, are frustrated with mainstream ideology, have patriotic bumper stickers, anti-abortion, veterans, support libertarian candidates, etc.  I counted them up and I fit a number of them.  According to the U.S. government I am considered a potential domestic terrorist, yet I am a totally law abiding citizen, former cop, and veteran. 

You call that freedom?

I believe in individual liberty, and associate with the Acton Institute (dedicated to that cause), support state rights, tend to support strict originalist interpretation of the Constiution, support the 2nd Amendment, am an Evangelical Christian, believe in a literal, premillennial rapture and End Times Tribulation, question much of what the U.N. does, believe that whatever the NWO ends up being probably plays into End Times prophecy, etc. etc. etc.  And yet, I work for the government. Many of us do. So, I guess that if I hit so many allegedly questionable belief lists, and still stand in good favor, then yeah...that is freedom.

On 3/19/2016 at 1:09 AM, prisonchaplain said:

As an Evangelical who came of age in the early 1980s, I remember so well the clarity of the world. Democracy vs. Communism and the Moral Majority vs. secular humanism. We figured God would use the church to turn America';s politics and culture to Jesus and righteousness. 30+ years later--what a different world it is! Paul told us to pray for Caesar, not to elect Peter. I will still cast my vote. Nevertheless, my best Christian righteousness will be seen in my love of God and neighbor, far more than in any devotion to a candidate, party, or policy position.  

Being fortunate enough to live in the US for a couple years in that^ decade, I remember the clarity. I wish I had raised my eyes a bit and appreciated more the inspirational appeal of your president back then. The world today is cluttered with 'leaders' of such small stature...

On a side note, not that it matters so much, but I've thought for awhile that if one of the current candidates had won in 2008, things might have been less dire for conservatives and others these days. But the pendulum has swung, & that's another story,...

Edited by lonetree

Guest MormonGator
25 minutes ago, lonetree said:

Being fortunate enough to live in the US for a couple years in that^ decade, I remember the clarity. I wish I had raised my eyes a bit more and appreciated more the inspirational appeal of your president back then. The world today is cluttered with 'leaders' of such small stature...

On a side note, not that it matters so much, but I've thought for awhile that if one of the current candidates had won in 2008, things might have been less dire for conservatives and others these days. But the pendulum has swung, & that's another story,...

Reagan was one of a kind....

5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Reagan was one of a kind....

Yes, a man who was not born to privilege(unlike, say, the Kennedys). 

BTW, even today I still listen to the 'Morning In America' ads... and smile.

Edited by lonetree

7 hours ago, lonetree said:

Yes, a man who was not born to privilege(unlike, say, the Kennedys). 

BTW, even today I still listen to the 'Morning In America' ads... and smile.

That's pretty much most of the US Presidents.  That's not what made him special.

On 3/27/2016 at 10:15 PM, Jojo Bags said:

The 9/11 terrorist attacks (if you believe it was terrorists) accelerated the government agenda to increase the power of the government to conduct surveillance on the innocent American citizen.  We now have don't fly lists where innocent people who simply don't agree with the government are banned from using air travel.  We have returned veterans forcibly incarcerated in a mental facility simply because they posted disagreement of government policies on Facebook. 

It is comments like this that make others not want to take you seriously....Enjoy australia.

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

That's pretty much most of the US Presidents.  That's not what made him special.

On the contrary, it actually is one of the things that made him special. While many presidents do come from humble backgrounds Reagan came from among the worst. As we all know his father was a severe alcoholic shoe salesman who was incapable of holding a job for a long period of time. Even some of the presidents with other poor backgrounds (Clinton, Garfield, Lincoln) didn't really have it that bad. 

Edited by MormonGator

On 3/19/2016 at 11:09 PM, prisonchaplain said:

As an Evangelical who came of age in the early 1980s, I remember so well the clarity of the world. Democracy vs. Communism and the Moral Majority vs. secular humanism. We figured God would use the church to turn America';s politics and culture to Jesus and righteousness. 30+ years later--what a different world it is! Paul told us to pray for Caesar, not to elect Peter. I will still cast my vote. Nevertheless, my best Christian righteousness will be seen in my love of God and neighbor, far more than in any devotion to a candidate, party, or policy position.  

well said. I hope the same can be said for any believer.

the first time Christ came to the world, in americas, the nonchristians in leadership positions had issued an ultimatum- a sign that there was a christ or die. Fortunately many peoples prayers were answered on that great day when He came into the world. And the sign was great enough to shock the unbelievers for about a decade or two, then things really went south, until very catastrophic events occurred just before Christ visited the americas after his resurrection.

now I hope history does not do an identical or not identical repeat for the second coming and the apocalypse and all that.... but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being similar.

Guest MormonGator
17 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

"They hate us cuz they ain't us"

"They are KY Jealous"

"hater's gonna hate and ain'ters gonna ain't!"

If you didn't see the movie you wouldn't get it.

I never saw the movie you are talking about, but I know the line "They hate us because they ain't us." 

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

On the contrary, it actually is one of the things that made him special. While many presidents do come from humble backgrounds Reagan came from among the worst. As we all know his father was a severe alcoholic shoe salesman who was incapable of holding a job for a long period of time. Even some of the presidents with other poor backgrounds (Clinton, Garfield, Lincoln) didn't really have it that bad. 

Then it wasn't that he wasn't born to privilege.  It was that he as born to an alcoholic.

And to claim that Reagan was great because of the conditions of his birth short-changes the character of the man - which is what is more the source of his greatness.  I will bet my liver that he will still be just as great if he was born with a silver spoon.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Then it wasn't that he wasn't born to privilege.  It was that he as born to an alcoholic.

No, it was actually both. He wasn't born to privilege (Unlike HW Bush. Bush. Kennedy. Both Roosevelts, several others) and he was much, much more poor than even the others presidents who were born less well off. 

22 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

No, it was actually both. He wasn't born to privilege (Unlike HW Bush. Bush. Kennedy. Both Roosevelts, several others) and he was much, much more poor than even the others presidents who were born less well off. 

Garfield and Andrew Johnson would be tough to beat.  Johnson and his brother were sold to slavery... or the white version of slavery.. when their father died.  Garfield's father also died and those days, women just don't make good living, so Garfield struggled all his life in Ohio.

That said... poverty builds character yes... but Reagan was a very successful actor with all that behind him before he landed on the governor's house.  Reagan was great despite of his childhood, not because of it.

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Garfield and Andrew Johnson would be tough to beat.  Johnson and his brother were sold to slavery... or the white version of slavery.. when their father died.  Garfield's father also died and those days, women just don't make good living, so Garfield struggled all his life in Ohio.

That said... poverty builds character yes... but Reagan was a very successful actor with all that behind him before he landed on the governor's house.  Reagan was great despite of his childhood, not because of it.

Right, those two are the exceptions. Most presidents come from better off backgrounds than Reagan did. 

Having read several books on Reagan, almost all make the case that the poverty he was born into created an incredibly strong drive to succeed in two highly competitive fields. It actually is because he was born in the poverty that he was so successful. He didn't want to be like Jack. Neil also did quite well in life, probably for the same reasons.  

23 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

if you like Reagan books Anatess the best one is Ronald Reagan by John Patrick Diggins. 

I'd suggest Reagan, In His Own Hand, the Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America, edited by Skinner, Anderson, and Anderson.

It's facsimiles and transcripts of Reagan's speeches and messages as he, himself, wrote them, beginning in the 70s and running through his presidency.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

I'd suggest Reagan, In His Own Hand, the Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America, edited by Skinner, Anderson, and Anderson.

It's facsimiles and transcripts of Reagan's speeches and messages as he, himself, wrote them, beginning in the 70s and running through his presidency.

Lehi

Yup, loved that one. 

Same with the Reagan diaries too! He was one of the few presidents that actually kept his journal going throughout his presidency. 

The best book about the Reagan years was the multi volume "The Age of Reagan" by Stephen F Hayward.

A Different Drummer by Michael Deaver was a good one too. As we all know, Deaver was among his most loyal aides. 

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

On another note, if you like Reagan books Anatess the best one is Ronald Reagan by John Patrick Diggins. 

The only Reagan book I've read outside of the school textbook is Killing Reagan.

Oh, I read his letters to Nancy... if that counts.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
58 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The only Reagan book I've read outside of the school textbook is Killing Reagan.

That book was full of lies. Nancy Reagan consulting an astrologer had no effect whatsoever on Ronald Reagan or on policy. Reagan also showed no signs of Alzheimer's disease while in the office. Peggy Noonan, in her book "When Character was King" says is best "I (Peggy herself) worked in the White House. I knew people who did as well. If he showed any symptoms of sickness there would have been aides who said 'I helped him'" etc.  I could go on. And on. 

O'Reilley is a liar. 

Edited by MormonGator

13 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

It is comments like this that make others not want to take you seriously....Enjoy australia.

That's OK.  I'm used to this type of criticism and I find it quite amusing.  I find it usually comes from normally good people who are ignorant and uninformed.  It goes along with all the "traditional" answers that you get from many good LDS who don't take the time to do a lick of research into what is passed around at church.  Oh, well, I'm used to that, too.

“The bigger the lie, apparently, the more likely the uninformed were to accept it, simply because they couldn't believe any government would tell such an absurd story unless it were true.”  David Weber, On Basilisk Station.

10 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

That's OK.  I'm used to this type of criticism and I find it quite amusing.  I find it usually comes from normally good people who are ignorant and uninformed.  It goes along with all the "traditional" answers that you get from many good LDS who don't take the time to do a lick of research into what is passed around at church.  Oh, well, I'm used to that, too.

“The bigger the lie, apparently, the more likely the uninformed were to accept it, simply because they couldn't believe any government would tell such an absurd story unless it were true.”  David Weber, On Basilisk Station.

I find your condescending attitude to be in poor taste. I am happy to amuse you, and for what it's worth you amuse me also. Kind of like the crazy uncle at thanksgiving.