Stephenie Meyers - Twilight Series

siouxz72

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I all read all three of these books I am looking for something else that I just can't put down.

Any suggestions? :dontknow:

Still waiting... :lol:

I wanna read something just as good. I guess there's nothing... :(

The new book doesn't come out until next fall right?

• 1 month later...

I really loved The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. It's a bit of a mystery about twin sisters. I couldn't put it down.

Oh, and yes, the fourth book is supposed to come out Fall 2008, but that's not set in stone. I read somewhere recently that she finished the rough draft, so now it has to go through editing and rewrites and whatnot, but she said she's still pretty sure it will hit shelves in the fall (but no guarantees).

I found the first book at an LDS bookstore. I had a friend recommend the series so I figured I would pick it up. When I bought the book the clerk warned me that she had some complaints about it being sold there, that maybe it wasn't appropriate. This kinda made me curious...

Once I started this book I couldn't put it down! What a great read for a rainy day!

I think that nowadays so many vampire stories are linked with sex and the occult that people assume no vampire story should be in a church bookstore. But that's one thing I love about these books: they're pretty clean (except for some mild language and relatively minor violence). Certainly not what I expected from a vampire book.

• 3 months later...

I can't download trailers with my dial-up. It takes so long I usually lose the connection before they finish, so I just don't bother.

I need to buy my mom a new monitor one of these days. She has DSL internet, but her monitor is so old that images are super dark on it and you can barely see anything. My daughter and I tried to watch the trailer the other day at mom's and we just couldn't make out what was going on.

I loved the books. I know many who do, even guys. However, I know two people who didn't like them. That'd be my husband, and one of my brother in laws.

I do think that people worry too much about Vampires and Werewolves and such things in stories. Heck, I know some people who thought Harry Potter was evil, nevermind the whole good vs evil thing. I've even heard of people not liking Star Wars because of the Force. >.<

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I FINALLY met a female who gave me a bad review, and for the reasons I expected: It's very gushy and cheesy, and somewhat cliche.

I'll still give it a go, but I'm not expecting much in terms of plot, narration, development, etc. etc.

VOL, remember that these books are aimed and Young Adults, especially Female Young Adults. I have read this thread and heard from a few at Church, YW and their mothers, regarding this author. So this weekend I bought the Twilight Series.

I read Twilight yesterday. Yes, finished it in one day. Helps when you eat pot pies for dinner and a huge salad for supper.

I like her, and I am ready to start on the second book. She is no where near as gushy, cheesy or romantic as some authors. If I didn't know already that she was LDS I might have wondered if perhaps she was LDS.

Go to your library and check the book out. That way you are not out any money.

If the store where I bought it had The Host, I would have bought that one too. It was out :(. I will try again this Saturday.

I remember hearing similar objections to Harry Potter. I don't have any objections with such a book being sold in a LDS bookstore. I think places like Deseret Book are pretty good about scanning for content and anyway it is just a book. If you personally object to reading stories about vampires and werewolves, then just don't read them. I personally think that it is fun every now and then to read about things that are far from our experience.....and in this case, we are talking about fiction and fantasy. I'd rather read the Twilight Series than Lord of the Flies or Heart of Darkness or some other such depiction of human nature. From what I have heard, these vampires are pretty tame!!! :)

Are you serious? The one so interested in the Twilight Series and you didn't know she was LDS? Wow I'm amazed. :eek:

Yeah, I was totally clueless! I've even read some interviews with her. I guess it just didn't come up in the ones I read.

• 4 months later...

... but I felt like the first book at least was giving the wrong lessons. Of course people like to hear messages like "it's ok to live on the edge", thinking that they can go and get themselves into things, and be prideful enough to think they have enough willpower to resist etc. That is the wrong message to be sending to YA though. I thought the girl was not a good role model, she was a clutz, ignored good people who tried to befriend her, she was a victim... To send out the message that someone like that would be loved and cherished is wrong. Also, the love was nothing but animal instinct type of thing, totally superficial - he loves her for her blood type, she loves him because of what he looks like... why not teach YA's to love based on character? The girl’s whole life is some big infatuation with this guy – that is all she is, some cltzy infatuated girl - that is wrong to teach YA that there is nothing more to life than infatuation/unhealthy relashonships. Women need to live for something more than just putting on a show for some guy. I give it two thumbs down for the message. I’m embarassed it was written by someone who is LDS.

With all the good books, why waste your time on twilight? I won't be reading any more of the series.

Wow, I really think you got the entirely wrong message from that book. Bella is a NORMAL girl. Believe it or not, most teenagers will feel the way she does, and quite often. Teenagers (and even adults) will often make poor decisions. It does not make them bad people or poor role models (if it did, then no human being on this planet should be a parent, as they would be a poor role model for their child). The book wasn't trying to say, "Hey, it's okay to dance with the devil and you'll be fine later." The message was, "Everyone goes through these feelings and similar experiences." In fact, the author has stated that Bella was a bit autobiographical, and I can't tell you how many people I've met who can relate to Bella because they felt the same way in high school (myself included).

I also don't recall her ignoring good people who tried to befriend her. In fact, most of her friends were good people. And her being a clutz makes her a bad role model? So my clutzy 14-year-old daughter is not a good person because she has two left feet? Don't you think that's rather judgmental?

And someone like that can't be loved and cherished? Seriously?! EVERYONE deserves to be loved and cherished, even people who make mistakes. If not, then this entire human population is in real trouble.

As far as Bella's and Edward's love being superficial, that's pretty true for most teenagers. That's just the way it is. They do not have the maturity to understand "true love" or be capable of feeling it (most of them anyway). I don't see how creating a realistic character is teaching young adults to love someone based on superficial features, as most teens and adults do that anyway. Most people don't date someone who they consider unattractive just because they have a great personality. Those people are called "friends". Most people do need a physical attraction to love someone.

I'm sorry, but you are judging an entire series and calling it a "waste of time" based on the first book? I'm sorry, but it sounds like you live in a fantasy world where everyone does the right thing all the time. If you're like that, then that's great and I'm happy for you. But it's not true for the vast majority of people. That's one reason why so many people like Twilight, because they can relate to what Bella is going through.

And, believe it or not, most teens and young adults really can distinguish fantasy from reality. You're really selling them short to claim that these books will "teach" them anything. They're found in the fiction section, after all.

I'm a 36-year-old woman and I loved the books. I've met fans from early teens to late 60's, men and women. None of them seems to have an issue with separating fact and fantasy, yet even the oldest of them can remember feeling what Bella feels, trying to make new friends, their first crush, etc.

I'm sorry you didn't like the book, but I feel you're way off base in your interpretation. It seems as if you were looking for things that just aren't there, and assuming kids will pick up things from the story that my experience tells me they won't. It's your opinion of course, but one that I definitely can't share.

My kids saw the movie this weekend. They said you could have missed the first hour. Wasn't until the end the movie got good. My son said many of the scenes were extremely cheesy. But I will still see the movie out of curiosity.

I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. I'm not happy with the casting AT ALL, and from what I saw of the trailers it just doesn't look like something I want to spend $6-$9 on. My oldest daughter saw it with some friends, and while they liked it overall they also found a lot to criticize in it.

• 2 months later...

I love Twilight!! I've read all the books. I think its awesome the Stephanie Meyer is an active member of the church. Her book 'the host' really makes her faith apparent. She alludes to alot of gospel principals in that book. She's a talented author and Twilight has become a world of its own. My friends and I can talk about it for hours! haha.

• 8 months later...

Well, it's getting close. New Moon will be out November 21. Below is a video of Behind the Scenes that shows how they made the wolves.

Yes, I am embarassed that I am posting this, because all the smart people wouldn't be caught dead reading the book, much less going to the movie. But I got hooked. What can I say?

Elphaba

'The Twilight Saga: New Moon' Inside Look: "The Wolf Pack" - MSN Video

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I don't actually get what the craze is about... sure they're good books, I've read them and seen the movie, not bad at all, but far from being worth obsessing over by so many people.