The lies they tell you when you're a kid...

Jamie123

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Vort said:

This is awesome.

Thanks Vort. I'm humble too, aren't I? 

Carb my friend-I'm not using it as a curse word. I'm addressing God and saying "God, I hated that place". I'm not sure how that uses His name in "vain". Just like Scarlet when she said "As God as my witness, I'll never be hungry again." I capitalize the name, I don't say it anger. But since it offended you, I changed it. There. I'll never forgive myself. As God as my witness, it'll never happen again. (playing, playing)

But Gone With the Wind is still among my favorite books/movies of all time. 

Edited by MormonGator

46 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Gone With the Wind

My sister from another mister and I went and saw it in the theater a couple years back. They did one showing for the 75th anniversary or something. It was fun! We were the youngest chicks there! :D

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

My sister from another mister and I went and saw it in the theater a couple years back. They did one showing for the 75th anniversary or something. It was fun! We were the youngest chicks there! :D

Lol. I'm Gen X, so I know what you mean. My 89 year old Memere and I would watch it and all my aunts (and my own Mom!) would be bored to death. I'd be hanging on every word. After all, I've only seen it 65 times. 

I have never understood why GWTW is so well received. Other than Rhett, I didn't like the characters (ok, Melanie was ok, but she seemed so one dimensional). And I especially didn't like Scarlett. What a selfish, narcissistic, mean woman. Just didn't like her.

Ok, rant over.

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, beefche said:

I have never understood why GWTW is so well received. Other than Rhett, I didn't like the characters (ok, Melanie was ok, but she seemed so one dimensional). And I especially didn't like Scarlett. What a selfish, narcissistic, mean woman. Just didn't like her.

Oh I agree Scarlet is selfish and mean-but beneath it all I think she's likable. She has a will to survive that really is admirable. I think that's why Rhett falls in love with her. 

You are not alone Beefche. So many people I know agree with you. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Thanks Vort. I'm humble too, aren't I? 

Carb my friend-I'm not using it as a curse word. I'm addressing God and saying "God, I hated that place". I'm not sure how that uses His name in "vain". Just like Scarlet when she said "As God as my witness, I'll never be hungry again." I capitalize the name, I don't say it anger. But since it offended you, I changed it. There. I'll never forgive myself. As God as my witness, it'll never happen again. (playing, playing)

But Gone With the Wind is still among my favorite books/movies of all time. 

Gator, ... ... ... :banghead: ... ... ... I love you, bro.  :yinyang:

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I love you, bro.  :yinyang:

Very mutual, and that I say in all seriousness. I certainly, 100% view you as a brother. Even when we disagree. 

Edited by MormonGator

43 minutes ago, beefche said:

Ok, rant over.

She makes me feel better about myself. LOL

39 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Oh I agree Scarlet is selfish and mean-but beneath it all I think she's likable. She has a will to survive that really is admirable. I think that's why Rhett falls in love with her. 

You are not alone Beefche. So many people I know agree with you. 

Let me clarify a bit. I can understand why the movie itself was a big hit. This was a hugely different film (it was released in 1939). Sweeping sets, wonderful costumes, drama out the wazoo, just a completely different movie from what was seen at that time. Now, it's so iconic that I think some people like it for that reason. But, in my opinion, the book wasn't great and the character of Scarlett is so awful that I just can't stand that movie.  

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, beefche said:

Let me clarify a bit. I can understand why the movie itself was a big hit. This was a hugely different film (it was released in 1939). Sweeping sets, wonderful costumes, drama out the wazoo, just a completely different movie from what was seen at that time. Now, it's so iconic that I think some people like it for that reason. But, in my opinion, the book wasn't great and the character of Scarlett is so awful that I just can't stand that movie.  

I understand totally what you mean. 

15 hours ago, MormonGator said:

THIS. 

The big lies I was told were: High school is the best time of your life, and your childhood friends will be your friends forever. Thankfully both were very wrong. 

Telling a kid something like that ought to be a jailable offense.  I had people tell me that crap and WOULD have killed myself and likely several others hadn't a few others told me otherwise. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
6 hours ago, beefche said:

Now, it's so iconic that I think some people like it for that reason. 

Some people perhaps, but not me. I love Scarlet. She is mean, nasty and selfish, but she is also strong, determined and intelligent. I wouldn't want to be her friend in reliance life, but as a character she is fabulous.

I also love Melanie. She's the perfect foil for Scarlet. She makes me want to be a better person. I adore her.

Rhett, ah be still my heart. I love rogues, and he is The Rogue.

The only character I don't care for is Ashley...I think he is weak, and dull. I can never understand why Scarlet is so memorized by him. I guess it's not that mysterious...she wants him because he is the only guy except Rhet that is not fawning over her. I like his love for Melanie but that's it. He's pretty dull.

Oh yeah and back to the thread topic...I didn't care for high school either. And I  think it's unrealistic to tell children they can be anything they want to be. We tell them that and then quickly back pedal when they want to be NBA, or NFL players, or go to Hollywood. I encourage my kids in reasonable dreams, but I don't tell them they can be anything they want to be, cause I'm a pessimistic realist. :)

Edited by LiterateParakeet

14 hours ago, NightSG said:

Details?  Or do you prefer to just pretend I'm telling you the same story and make a generous contribution to my functional car fund? :D

Told me his dad is sick (which is true), and that they need $200 for some medical procedure (which is also true).  So, I gave it to him even when I knew he's a candidate for Rehab.  $200 ended going up his nose.  The idiot (me, not him).

So yeah, how's that car fund going?  Hopefully you've gone past $150 by now?

Guest MormonGator
7 hours ago, kapikui said:

Telling a kid something like that ought to be a jailable offense.  I had people tell me that crap and WOULD have killed myself and likely several others hadn't a few others told me otherwise. 

Amen. I make it a note to tell the few young people I run into that life isn't like that. Most thank me. The good news is that college really was a spectacular time and I met lifelong friends there.

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

So yeah, how's that car fund going?  Hopefully you've gone past $150 by now?

Got a couple of offline contributors, but the ultimate plan is to get something in the $800-1500 range, (including any needed initial repairs) and if contributions pass $500, I'm still going to want to match them with my own money.  (Obviously if they don't pass $500, I'll be matching them and then some.)  Still getting a couple months' rent and bill money set aside, while keeping everything caught up so I won't end up right back in the same situation of having to take on additional short term (i.e. painful interest levels) debt to get by.  A ramen and hot dog diet is manageable for a while, but there's not really a way to cut costs on the rent and basic bills.