(Another) teaching in RS question

Well, I may be about to do something I shouldn't, so someone stop me if I am going down the wrong path here.

I teach a lesson each month in RS. I have taught mostly grad classes for many years, and have some experience teaching undergrads. I am not worried about my teaching skills. Frequently, women will come up and compliment me after class. Things seemed to be going well for the maybe 2 years that I have been doing this. 

Then our leadership changed. Last month, one of the new leadership members sent me a long email with ideas for the lesson. Not only do I plan my lessons out in advance (unlike most of the women in my ward, I actually work and need to plan in advance, so this was a little late to do anything but cause me more stress), but I don't need any help planning my class. I started an email to that effect, but decided not to send it and just didn't respond.

Now I get another long email for next month's lesson. ???  Why is she making work for herself?  She doesn't need to parse out the chapter to me; I can read.

What makes this difficult is that I was her VT and kinda know her, though we are not BFFs. I sit behind her in church. So, I don't want to make it so that we don't speak. 

However, I am two steps away from asking her if she'd like to teach the ... lesson.    I have been in a more demanding job for over a year and don't need this. I really don't. And I don't have a problem going to the bishop and asking to be released.

Thoughts? She would be shocked and mortified that she is making me want to stop going to RS altogether, much less stop giving lessons. I don't want to hurt feelings, but I can do my own work, thank you.

And, if we wanna get really paranoid about this, I wonder if she has said anything to the other (white) teachers, or is she saving her instruction for the black woman? Arrgh... something that was very educational for me as a convert, and generally a pleasure to do, has become a sad burden.

She probably doesn't realize this is getting under your skin this much.

I would reply saying "thank you for the tips. I feel I have a good understanding of the lesson and if I need any help in the future I will let you know."

Hopefully this will give her the hint that you don't want the extra help anymore and that you're comfortable with the lessons. I doubt it has anything more to do with just that she wants to feel like she's helping you prepare as much as she can since you have such a demanding job, but she doesn't recognize that it's coming across differently for you. 

But I don't know the relationship between you and her as well as the other teachers. Hopefully this can be worked out!

Have you asked her (in person or in email) why she is emailing these instructions to you? Perhaps she has gotten instruction from the bishop to have training for the teachers and this is her way of doing it. Or maybe she is new in her position and feels that she needs to help in this manner.

From my experience in being in the RS Presidency (and being an RS teacher), I really don't think it's anything nefarious. I imagine she sees her job in a different light than you do and she feels this is the best way to fulfil her calling.

I would ask her for the purpose behind the emails. Then, if that doesn't help you understand, I would simply tell her that the emails are not helpful and maybe give her a suggestion on how she can help you.

1 hour ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

"I feel I have a good understanding of the lesson and if I need any help in the future I will let you know."

I need someone in my life to help me craft such diplomatic responses to annoying situations. I either shove my feelings and get increasingly irate, or say the wrong thing about it at the wrong time and regret it later.

I have served in a couple of leadershippy positions. Discussions in a presidency will often include things like, "How can we help Brother So-and-So teach his lessons more effectively?" [Translation: He's dry as two-day-old toast, but we want him to be successful and not just release him.] Ideas get generated, like e.g. let's really break it down for him and structure the lesson plan out for him. Oh, but he'll get offended if we single him out for such treatment. Well, Brother Thus-and-Such does a great job of teaching, and Brother TheOther does fine. If we send them the same email, they'll probably just go ahead and prepare their normal lesson anyway, so no harm done.

Could be anything, really. As long as they are not insisting that you do anything different, just keep doing what you've been doing. If you're really worried about it, go have a frank (but delicate) talk with them. Ask them if they are sending you the detailed outlines because they want you to do something different from how you have been doing it. They will probably say no, but if they say yes, take careful note of what they say. Your duty as a teacher is to teach the class and bring the Spirit, but it is also to sustain them. Their duty as a presidency is to see to the instruction of the class. So if they want something done this way or that, you should probably accomodate them, even if it seems a silly or useless request.

That's my opinion, FWIW.

I'm guessing she's just not used to RS teachers having lots of teaching experience, like yourself.  Not realizing this, she's just in the habit of giving lots of guidelines to help teachers out (like is done for new graduate student TA's).  It just hasn't "clicked" that you're an experienced teacher and don't need the help.   

I would suggest talking to her,  thank her for her efforts, and say something to the effect of "Let me ask you when I need help".   People gave some  nice conversation guidelines.   

Edited by Jane_Doe

Honestly, I would just respond with, "Thank you so much.  This is really helpful."  And the use her stuff or not.  It will make her feel helpful (which I am sure that's all she is trying to be) and although it won't stop her, at least you have a pat answer for when she does it again.  And you have no obligation to use her notes or not.  And you really don't need to worry about it beyond that.

Edited by bytebear

Dear dahlia,

are you sticking to the lesson? In some wards, including material from outside church approved material is a no no. For example, in some wards, you can supplement with a conference talk but not with a book written by a well -known Mormon author. I bumped into an inactive sister in the grocery store,  I told her that I missed her at church and how much I enjoyed her lessons. She told me she was asked not to teach anymore because she included material that was not from an approved source. By the way, congrats on the new job. Love to hear how you are doing!

Edited by Sunday21

If you don't mind me being blunt, a pride issue is in play. One is not teachable when there is pride. 

A few years ago I worked out of town for the summer. On Sunday I was free to attend church wherever I felt. One Sunday I felt a good place would be to attend a branch in an area where an ancestor had settled. It was only about an hour drive so that's where I went.

The one thing that was most remembered was attending the Gospel Doctrine class. I always read the lesson beforehand as part of the Sunday preps so I knew the lesson. Another prep, which was done every day, was to ensure that the Spirit was with me in a recognizable manner.

Class started and the instructor went right to it. From her skills it appeared that she was a school teacher. She told us what the lesson was on and that's about as far as she went according to the manual. She did research and presented her research rather than presenting what the manual provided. None of the quotes were from the manual but rather from her research. She would follow the topics in the manual and read a quip here or there but from then on it was a matter of presenting her learning and studies. Not a single bit of it was by the Spirit but rather the whole time was tackled as though it were a school classroom.

When class was over I literally felt like I had been spiritually starved. I came for a spiritual uplift and was most willing to do anything on my part to achieve it but the class was taken on with a secular approach and it caused spiritual starvation. I attended a couple of weeks later and it was the same thing: a secular learning environment with a resulting feeling of spiritual starvation. 

Instructors have the commission, and command, to teach by the Spirit. Teaching by the Spirit is not done in the same manner as is done in school. No offense to you since I don't know you, but I have observed something that is unsettling: When a school teacher teacher teaches a class in church (seminary and institute teachers excepted) the teaching is never done by the Spirit but rather in a secular manner - they teach as they know how but they don't know how God has commanded it to be done.

When teaching by the Spirit the goal is to first get the Spirit present:

"And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of faith; and if ye receive not the Spirit ye shall not teach." (D&C 42:14)

I have yet to attend a class where that command was strictly adhered to. At times when the Spirit was not present the instructor would move forward in presenting the lesson anyway. I would be ok with the instructor staring down the class if need be until the Spirit is present. If the Spirit isn't present then maybe a hymn needs sung or some scriptures read. Maybe a second prayer is needed to be offered in which the instructor says "I'm not feeling the Spirit here, let's beg Heavenly Father for the presence to come". Something must be done except to move forward with the lesson.

D&C 50 contains the golden key to coming to God for those that can find it. It also reveals how teaching by the Spirit is done:

"17    Verily I say unto you, he that is ordained of me and sent forth to preach the word of truth by the Comforter, in the Spirit of truth, doth he preach it by the Spirit of truth or some other way? 

18    And if it be by some other way it is not of God." (D&C 50:17-18)

Secular teaching is not by the Spirit but rather by one's wisdom, learning, understanding, and ability to maintain attention. But it also is not of God. The only God-approved teaching method is by the Spirit and if the Spirit is not present then it doesn't matter how skilled one is the method is not of God. In God's church the teaching must be by God's method.

When teaching by the Spirit the presence of the Spirit is clearly felt. The Spirit will prompt what to say and what not to say. When the instructor speaks the Spirit will bare witness, and of approval, of what is being said. Sometimes we may want to say something that we think is of importance or value but that isn't an automatic right just because we're called as the instructor - if it isn't from the Spirit then it is wrong to say and saying it will detract from, if not outright offend, the Spirit.

When teaching by the Spirit the listener also has a duty. They are not to just sit back and say "teach me, and do it well"! It is the listener's responsibility to listen by the Spirit:

"19    And again, he that receiveth the word of truth, doth he receive it by the Spirit of truth or some other way? 

20    If it be some other way it is not of God." (D&C 50:19-20)

If the listener is also approaching the class as if for secular learning then it is not of God either. They must come with the Spirit and listen by the Spirit. Those that follow that counsel will know if the instructor is failing to teach by the Spirit. When they receive by the Spirit and the instructor teaches by the Spirit then a true form of communication takes place:

"21    Therefore, why is it that ye cannot understand and know, that he that receiveth the word by the Spirit of truth receiveth it as it is preached by the Spirit of truth? 

22    Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together." (D&C 50:21-22)

That edifying and rejoicing must be the goal for every class in the church otherwise there was a breakdown in the method of teaching/learning and it was not of God. 

Preach My Gospel goes into detail about teaching by the Spirit. If the lesson is taught by the Spirit then there will not be any complaints from the RS presidency. If the lesson is tackled as done in the school classroom then the Spirit will pressure the RS President to change and improve the method so that it is of God.

Edited by Sadliers

Hi, Dahlia.  Good to hear from you again.

We have to look at the assumptions here and determine which are correct or not.

1. She thinks you need her help.
  2. You think you do NOT need her help.

Questions:

1. What are her motives?  Micro-manager type? or doe she really think you don't know how/what to teach.  I know you're a convert of some time, does she automatically assume, then, that you don't know the doctrines and procedures?  Or is this merely her way of being helpful?  Regardless of any of these, it doesn't seem that she really is doing this to get under your skin.  She's doing this because she thinks she's supposed to.
  2. How are you teaching?  I saw Sadliers' comment.  Are you teaching with the Spirit?  Are you intellectually stimulating, but not Spiritually stimulating?  Are you sticking to authorized sources?

You thought about asking to be released over this.  I think that would be a mistake.  You have to know at least why she's doing this.  You have to try to work it out.  That's part of being in a ward family.  You have to be willing to work out issues like this.

I'd focus on the statement you made: Why is she making work for herself?  This focus puts the charity hat on you.  You're then looking at her with charity and saying, "Look, you've got a lot on your plate with being RS Pres.  I'd like to take some of it off your  plate.  I'm really a confident and capable teacher.  If you just give me the topic, or set up the schedule from the manual, I can take it from there.  Then I'll feel like I'm helping you out a lot more.  And that's what we do.  We help each other out, right?"

1 hour ago, Sadliers said:

If you don't mind me being blunt, a pride issue is in play. One is not teachable when there is pride. 

I don't see pride as being in play at all. She is good at her job. does that make one prideful? No I think that you are off base here.

Class started and the instructor went right to it. From her skills it appeared that she was a school teacher. She told us what the lesson was on and that's about as far as she went according to the manual. She did research and presented her research rather than presenting what the manual provided. None of the quotes were from the manual but rather from her research. She would follow the topics in the manual and read a quip here or there but from then on it was a matter of presenting her learning and studies. Not a single bit of it was by the Spirit but rather the whole time was tackled as though it were a school classroom.

When class was over I literally felt like I had been spiritually starved. I came for a spiritual uplift and was most willing to do anything on my part to achieve it but the class was taken on with a secular approach and it caused spiritual starvation. I attended a couple of weeks later and it was the same thing: a secular learning environment with a resulting feeling of spiritual starvation. 

So you didn't feel the spirit so that must mean that no one else did either? Speaking of pride who made you the spiritual measuring stick? You don't know who was and who was not touched by her well prepared message.

Instructors have the commission, and command, to teach by the Spirit. Teaching by the Spirit is not done in the same manner as is done in school. No offense to you since I don't know you, but I have observed something that is unsettling: When a school teacher teacher teaches a class in church (seminary and institute teachers excepted) the teaching is never done by the Spirit but rather in a secular manner - they teach as they know how but they don't know how God has commanded it to be done.

This is untrue, the best gospel doctrine teachers I have ever had were professional educators.

I have yet to attend a class where that command was strictly adhered to. At times when the Spirit was not present the instructor would move forward in presenting the lesson anyway. I would be ok with the instructor staring down the class if need be until the Spirit is present. If the Spirit isn't present then maybe a hymn needs sung or some scriptures read. Maybe a second prayer is needed to be offered in which the instructor says "I'm not feeling the Spirit here, let's beg Heavenly Father for the presence to come". Something must be done except to move forward with the lesson.

Yeah because we live on planet earth where we are bound by the time constraints of our church structure. A little something I like to call real life.

Secular teaching is not by the Spirit but rather by one's wisdom, learning, understanding, and ability to maintain attention. But it also is not of God. The only God-approved teaching method is by the Spirit and if the Spirit is not present then it doesn't matter how skilled one is the method is not of God. In God's church the teaching must be by God's method.

When teaching by the Spirit the presence of the Spirit is clearly felt. The Spirit will prompt what to say and what not to say. When the instructor speaks the Spirit will bare witness, and of approval, of what is being said. Sometimes we may want to say something that we think is of importance or value but that isn't an automatic right just because we're called as the instructor - if it isn't from the Spirit then it is wrong to say and saying it will detract from, if not outright offend, the Spirit.

So our instructors should not prepare beyond a cursory reading of the lesson then fasting and prayer so that they will be filled with spirit and know what to say? I'm already falling asleep.

If the listener is also approaching the class as if for secular learning then it is not of God either. They must come with the Spirit and listen by the Spirit. Those that follow that counsel will know if the instructor is failing to teach by the Spirit. When they receive by the Spirit and the instructor teaches by the Spirit then a true form of communication takes place:

That edifying and rejoicing must be the goal for every class in the church otherwise there was a breakdown in the method of teaching/learning and it was not of God. 

Preach My Gospel goes into detail about teaching by the Spirit. If the lesson is taught by the Spirit then there will not be any complaints from the RS presidency. If the lesson is tackled as done in the school classroom then the Spirit will pressure the RS President to change and improve the method so that it is of God.

Someone can always find a reason to complain about something.

How exactly will the spirit pressure the RS president to change? How can you distinguish this from her own personal thoughts on how the meeting should be run?

2 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I don't see pride as being in play at all. She is good at her job. does that make one prideful? No I think that you are off base here.

So you didn't feel the spirit so that must mean that no one else did either? Speaking of pride who made you the spiritual measuring stick? You don't know who was and who was not touched by her well prepared message.

[...]

How exactly will the spirit pressure the RS president to change? How can you distinguish this from her own personal thoughts on how the meeting should be run?

When one loses their pride they are readily teachable. The OP expressed being offended in being asked to do the lessons a certain way. Pride causes one to feel their dignity and ability has been attacked. A sign that one is not prideful is they are teachable which means they do not take offense when someone asks them to teach a different way.

Yes, I did not feel the Spirit. I know the Spirit very well and know when the Spirit is present and when the Spirit is not. What makes you think you know the Spirit well enough to challenge God and the witnesses He gives? Since you feel to challenge the Spirit's witness to me on it, it gives me a personal witness that you don't know the Spirit. The Spirit I know is the Holy Spirit. That same Spirit is the Spirit that witnesses of God to all and does not change from one person to the next. By challenging and doubting the Spirit I know with a certainty that you are among those that don't know the Spirit. It is a common problem with those that think they can learn God through a secular manner - they think they know God but they don't. And they can't know God because they don't know the Spirit - Father, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are One which also means a person can't know one without knowing the other. Failing to know the Spirit is a result of failing to understand and practice the first two principles of the gospel: Faith and repentance. I recommend that you go back and work on those in order to come to know the Holy Spirit. 

Yes, you will declare me as wrong. So let's just go to the next. Perhaps you can prove me wrong by sharing your witness of what the Spirit is, how to identify the Spirit, and how to distinguish between the 3 sources of revelation: the Spirit, ourselves, or Satan. Add to it your testimony of how you came to know the Spirit, what you do to feel the Spirit's presence, and how often you feel the Spirit's presence.

The RS president is ordained to the calling and, if she is seeking the Spirit, will receive directions on what needs changed. Why do you suppose that you're in a position to also challenge what the RS President received from the Spirit?

Edited by Sadliers

23 minutes ago, Sadliers said:

Yes, I did not feel the Spirit. I know the Spirit very well and know when the Spirit is present and when the Spirit is not. Since you feel to challenge me on it, it gives me a personal witness that you don't know the Spirit. The Spirit I know is the Holy Spirit. That same Spirit is the Spirit that witnesses of God to all and does not change from one person to the next. By challenging and doubting the Spirit I know with a certainty that you are among those that don't know the Spirit. It is a common problem with those that think they can learn God through a secular manner - they think they know God but they don't. And they can't know God because they don't know the Spirit - Father, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are One which also means a person can't know one without knowing the other. Failing to know the Spirit is a result of failing to understand and practice the first two principles of the gospel: Faith and repentance. I recommend that you go back and work on those in order to come to know the Holy Spirit. 

So you are the self proclaimed expert on feeling the spirit? If you didn't feel the spirit then no one did? That's pretty arrogant. Do you think we all feel the spirit the same way? or that we should? Or that if it is not your interpretation then we must be wrong? That we don't know God? My faith and repentance has not been sufficient?

Well Conference is this weekend I expect to see someone of your spiritual strength and closeness to God to be called to at least the quorum of the 70. I guess they missed you for the last one you could have been in the 12. 

27 minutes ago, Sadliers said:

The RS president is ordained to the calling and, if she is seeking the Spirit, will receive directions on what needs changed. Why do you suppose that you're in a position to also challenge what the RS President received from the Spirit?

Last time I checked we don't "ordain" RS presidents. They are set apart, you also don't know that the RS president in question received her ideas from the spirit you are making an assumption. 

9 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

So you are the self proclaimed expert on feeling the spirit? If you didn't feel the spirit then no one did? That's pretty arrogant. Do you think we all feel the spirit the same way? or that we should? Or that if it is not your interpretation then we must be wrong? That we don't know God? My faith and repentance has not been sufficient?

Well Conference is this weekend I expect to see someone of your spiritual strength and closeness to God to be called to at least the quorum of the 70. I guess they missed you for the last one you could have been in the 12. 

Last time I checked we don't "ordain" RS presidents. They are set apart, you also don't know that the RS president in question received her ideas from the spirit you are making an assumption. 

Yes, you're correct about the RS President being set apart. Thanks for the correction. 

So it is arrogant to receive a witness from the Spirit? Would God or Satan spawn such an idea?

Go go back and study D&C 50:19-22... One will know when a lesson is taught by the Spirit. It doesn't do any good to argue with God about it - that's gross arrogance and pride.

You do not understand the Lord's organization. One is called to the leadership positions in the church because of their leadership abilities, not solely on righteousness. An uncle had that same mistaken idea and while on his mission had the opportunity to meet the prophet. He asked the prophet a question that revealed the misperception. The prophet replied that he was called to that position to be a leader, not because he was the most righteous person in the church. As far as he knew the most righteous member in the church may be in a far away branch and without a calling except for Home Teacher. 

Now how about sharing your witness of the Spirit. Do you think it surprises me that you did not and will not?

29 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

For some reason, I first read that as "set alight."  I wondered about the potential for serious injury to all present and damage to nearby buildings when all that hairspray goes up.

It is in the purview of the presidency to supervise the teaching in the group, either to address any issues with the teaching or to ask that the teaching be tailored to particular issues or challenges that are faced by individual group members (e.g. tailor a generic lesson about "obedience" to the fact that a number of group members are struggling with depression, etc.)

I think I'd probably reply to such an email with something along the lines of the following:

Dear Sister _______,

Thank you so much for taking the time to come up with all of these wonderful suggestions.  I know you must have put a lot of time into it, and I was wondering if you'd mind me asking whether there are any particular underlying issues--either in the Relief Society membership generally, or with my teaching style particularly--that led you to put together this list?  I'm always looking to be more effective as a teacher, and I hope the Presidency will feel free to let me know if they feel that I'm doing something wrong, or that my current style isn't reaching some class members or that I need to make some specific changes.

Her response should let you know if there are some real issues, or whether you're just dealing with a micromanager--and if the latter, then you'll know how to deal with future "suggestions".

Edited by Just_A_Guy

45 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Last time I checked we don't "ordain" RS presidents. They are set apart,

A nit. The scriptures themselves do not consistently use the word "ordain" in this manner; for example, in the Doctrine and Covenants the Lord speaks of those damned to outer darkness as being "ordained unto this condemnation".

47 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

you also don't know that the RS president in question received her ideas from the spirit you are making an assumption.

And this is the correct default assumption, exactly what all faithful Saints should assume of their leaders until shown differently.

23 minutes ago, Vort said:

A nit. The scriptures themselves do not consistently use the word "ordain" in this manner; for example, in the Doctrine and Covenants the Lord speaks of those damned to outer darkness as being "ordained unto this condemnation".

Yes a nit but an important one

23 minutes ago, Vort said:

And this is the correct default assumption, exactly what all faithful Saints should assume of their leaders until shown differently.

Except we are not in the OPs ward we are all making assumptions

Thank you, JAG. I really appreciate when people give me the benefit of the doubt and ask me before attaching negative views of my behaviors. I do the best I can in church callings, but since I'm not perfect (I know that may surprise some of you), I fail. And I want to do a good job, so when I do fail, I honestly don't mind being helped to make better choices or see things differently.

Because I feel that way about my own callings, I try to do the same to others. I really do feel that most people try to do a good job in their callings, but inevitably step on toes or hurt feelings. We should learn to forgive and assume the best as well as sustain them. For me, sustaining means we also allow them to make mistakes and learn from them, just as we do.

48 minutes ago, Sadliers said:

So it is arrogant to receive a witness from the Spirit? Would God or Satan spawn such an idea?

Do you even reread what you write  before you post it?

49 minutes ago, Sadliers said:

Now how about sharing your witness of the Spirit. Do you think it surprises me that you did not and will not?

Why would it surprise you that I do not want to share intimate feelings and experiences in a public forum to strangers? 

50 minutes ago, Sadliers said:

You do not understand the Lord's organization. One is called to the leadership positions in the church because of their leadership abilities, not solely on righteousness. An uncle had that same mistaken idea and while on his mission had the opportunity to meet the prophet. He asked the prophet a question that revealed the misperception. The prophet replied that he was called to that position to be a leader, not because he was the most righteous person in the church. As far as he knew the most righteous member in the church may be in a far away branch and without a calling except for Home Teacher. 

You don't know what I don't know. You don't know what my thoughts are on how leadership is called. 

Dear Sister _______,

Thank you so much for taking the time to come up with all of these wonderful suggestions.  I know you must have put a lot of time into it.  I'm always looking to be more effective as a teacher, and I welcome any feedback to my lessons.  I may even take some of these suggestions and use them in my professional activities as a teacher at (place where you work) to make even secular learning more spiritual.

I want you to know how grateful I am to have a calling that lets me feel the Spirit so much and gives me the opportunity to share it with others.  I feel it a joy, as I’m sure you do, to spend time preparing the lessons and have the blessing to ponder the topic and the scriptures as well as the words of modern prophets and carry that in our hearts all week long. 

As busy as I’m sure the RS president is, I’m grateful to have a someone who cares as much about the lessons as I do.  Thank you again for your suggestions.

I like JAG's idea.  But here is something that lets you be the one to bring the spirit to her within the message itself.  It has the following traits:

1. It doesn't in any way tell her she's done anything to offend you.
  2. It lets her know that you honor her position as RS President.
  3. It lets her know that you know what you're doing (your job as a teacher).
  4. It lets her know that you really do spend a lot of time studying, preparing, praying, and pondering the lesson to have a Spirit-filled lesson each week.
  5. It lets her know that you are taking her messages as "suggestions" only and not as direction.  For all you know that was all it was meant to be.  For all she knows, that's all it was.  Then she might start thinking, "Gee she seems to be doing ok.  Why am I spending so much time on this when she's obviously spending a lot of time herself?"
  6. Even in the wording of this message, it brings the Spirit into the communication.

If she decides to press the issue and say that it really is direction instead of suggestion, then that opens the door for you to ask her,"Can I as why this particular method / procedure is so important to you?" (politely of course). 

Edited by Guest

41 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

You don't know what I don't know. You don't know what my thoughts are on how leadership is called. 

Just going by this statement:

"Well Conference is this weekend I expect to see someone of your spiritual strength and closeness to God to be called to at least the quorum of the 70. I guess they missed you for the last one you could have been in the 12."

For some reason it seems to come off as condescending and implying that one is called to positions of such authority based solely on righteousness.

Edited by Sadliers