Do we all hear/feel the Spirit the same?

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

And she swears she's not following after Snuffer.

The first rule of the Snuffer club is that we don't talk about the Snuffer club. 

hey waitaminute.  That's rated R.  FP warned me that that would jeopardize my ... something. OH!  There I go again putting my faith in the arm of flesh!  I'd better go see Fight Club, then.  Wait...  I'm so confused.

Edited by Guest

I owe you all a sincere apology. I began moving toward divisiveness rather than unity and that was displeasing to God. Sorry. Jesus said that if we are not unified in His gospel then we are not His. It does not matter where were are in progression nor what are views may be, it is more important to be unified with each other. He would rather have unity and some incorrect ideas rather than divisiveness over technicalities.

With that being said I will share a little for those that are interested but also not attempting to dissuade others from what they want to believe. 

The Old Testament has the most references to God having anger. They also were more hardened and could not handle the higher law thus were given what they could better handle which was the lesser law. In their hardness, how was God to drive home the point that they could not continue transgressing against God without a penalty? If they believed that God was only a god of love then they would not understand an eternal punishment for transgressing the law - how could a God of love punish one with a hell? Thus God used lingo that was meaningful to them.

Using meaningful lingo is nothing new but rather how God best relates to those whom He is communicating to. For example in the Old Testament it says that God repents which also means that God makes mistakes (Genesis 6:6). We also read how God hardens people's heart against Him as though He is a god of confusion (Exodus 7:3). We also read of God being a god of evil (Exodus 5:22-23).  Those words, too, were used for the benefit of understanding of those of that day.

Here's another one: when one is cast into hell they will be there forever. That is because hell is an endless punishment, right? For those that think it is ok to sin that may be what needs to be believed so that they will avoid sin. But in reality almost all that go there will not remain there. Jesus tells us why the verbiage is used which causes most to think otherwise:

"4    And surely every man must repent or suffer, for I, God, am endless. 
5    Wherefore, I revoke not the judgments which I shall pass, but woes shall go forth, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, yea, to those who are found on my left hand. 
6 Nevertheless, it is not written that there shall be no end to this torment, but it is written endless torment. 
7 Again, it is written eternal damnation; wherefore it is more express than other scriptures, that it might work upon the hearts of the children of men, altogether for my name's glory. 
8 Wherefore, I will explain unto you this mystery, for it is meet unto you to know even as mine apostles. 
9 I speak unto you that are chosen in this thing, even as one, that you may enter into my rest. 
10    For, behold, the mystery of godliness, how great is it! For, behold, I am endless, and the punishment which is given from my hand is endless punishment, for Endless is my name. Wherefore- 
11 Eternal punishment is God's punishment. 
12 Endless punishment is God's punishment." (D&C 19:4-12)

If one is not able to handle the idea of God having no anger (as we know anger) because it will lead to sinning then I pray that what I shared is utter confusion to them. However on a personal level for the belief of God being an angry god - a God that is ready to dam a person for failing to be perfect in obedience - was a hindrance in knowing Him. It wasn't until the idea was abandoned that God was an angry god before I could trust Him enough to know Him on a personal level. The perspective that He is a God of love beyond my comprehension was finally realized then the realization also came that as a God of love He is deeply interested in me personally, as he is of you and of all others. It is much easier to draw closest to one that loves me, not one that is angry at me over my weaknesses and poor choices. With that love comes patience and understanding, unlike what is found with a god of anger. From there I was able to come to Him and trust that He is not out to chide and chastise me in my weaknesses but rather support and help me in overcoming them. He is the best cheerleader on this path of life!

Since being able to come to God on a personal and intimate level (which was not possible while believing He was an angry god that is easily enraged) there were marvelous insights obtained. One such insight which I testify of is that when we come to God - and it matters not whether it is Father, Jesus, or the Holy Ghost - They shut out the whole universe and give me undistracted attention. They make me feel like I'm the only thing in the universe that matters to them. But this isn't just a 'me' thing because They do the exact same for you when you come to Them. You, too, will feel like you are the most important thing in the universe to Them while with Them. That is their nature and They are like that because each of us are very important to Them. The parable of the 99 reveals that They are interested in each and every one and that's why they are not satisfied with at least having 99 left, but rather will go searching for the lost 1. That is genuine love and concern for each and every individual! That is not consistent with the idea of an angry God since an angry God would be angry that the 1 left (and they should have known better) and would lock the door so the 1 could not get back in even if they found their way back.

33 minutes ago, Sadliers said:

...He was an angry god that is easily enraged...

A person can feel anger with being an angry person (indeed, I think the two are quite different).  A person can feel anger and not be easily enraged (again, quite different).  Feeling anger does not prevent or replace or void love (they're not even opposites).

As others have said, I personally would not assume that what God feels when he's angry is all that similar to what I feel when I'm angry (nor anyone else for that matter - we're all quite different), but God communicates to us in ways we can understand, so if in revealed scripture he used the word "anger", I think he meant for us to understand it roughly the way we understand anger.

On 4/8/2016 at 0:52 PM, Carborendum said:

hey waitaminute.  That's rated R.  FP warned me that that would jeopardize my ... something. OH!  There I go again putting my faith in the arm of flesh!  I'd better go see Fight Club, then.  Wait...  I'm so confused.

I believe that was another prophet who gave said warning. At the very least I know President Benson gave such counsel. 

5 hours ago, zil said:

A person can feel anger with being an angry person (indeed, I think the two are quite different).  A person can feel anger and not be easily enraged (again, quite different).  Feeling anger does not prevent or replace or void love (they're not even opposites).

As others have said, I personally would not assume that what God feels when he's angry is all that similar to what I feel when I'm angry (nor anyone else for that matter - we're all quite different), but God communicates to us in ways we can understand, so if in revealed scripture he used the word "anger", I think he meant for us to understand it roughly the way we understand anger.

Captain Moroni seems an excellent example of this... If we believe the Book of Mormon's characterization of Captain Moroni a someone that if everyone was like him then Satan would have no power over anyone... Well that sounds like a very close match ideal of righteousness and spirituality we are told to strive for.  Then we read a few different times in the Book of Mormon where he gets angry...  The very same book that says that Satan had no power over him also said he got angry.

Seeing this we might get a glimmer at Divine or Righteous Anger... it wasn't driven by pride, or personal attacks, or even the desire to hurt, but to instead right things that were clearly wrong being done to others.  And also his anger never overrode his judgement and sense of right and wrong.  I am sure there is more but those are what came to mind

On 4/10/2016 at 1:13 PM, The Folk Prophet said:

I believe that was another prophet who gave said warning. At the very least I know President Benson gave such counsel. 

There we go putting our trust in the arm of flesh.  What do Prophets know?  We should be depending on the Spirit to lead us into watching R-rated movies.  Duh-uh.