I am going to be home sick all weekend and I want to check out the LDS General Conference messages. I have never seen any General Conference messages before. How does it work? What is the time frame for each day's messages? Are all the messages intended for all people or are they specific to groups (e.g. women, children, missionaries)?

There are 4 sessions for everyone, broadcast at 10 and 2, MST. They stream at lds.org (and are available to watch any time after that). There is another session for the Priesthood on Saturday at 6. I believe that is also broadcast. The women's session was last weekend. 

11 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

There are 4 sessions for everyone, broadcast at 10 and 2, MST. They stream at lds.org (and are available to watch any time after that). There is another session for the Priesthood on Saturday at 6. I believe that is also broadcast. The women's session was last weekend. 

Thank you.

You can watch General Conference on lds.org, mormon.org, byutv.org or if you have cable/satellite, you may have BYUTV as a channel and can watch it there. It begins on Saturday at 12 noon EST and lasts for 2 hours. Then there is a 2 hour break and the next session begins 4 pm EST. The priesthood session* begins after a 2 hour break at 8 pm EST.

General Conference resumes on Sunday at 12 noon EST, 2 hour break and final session is at 4 pm EST. 

You can expect a lot of talking with some hymns sung by choirs interspersed. The talks are separate talks and you do not need to watch from beginning to end to "follow" along. Also, the videos of these sessions will be available usually within 24 hours on lds.org. The written talk will be available usually on Thurs after the final session (in this case, on Thursday 4/7/16). In the 2 hour breaks in between the sessions are videos on news of the church as well as videos about the church, members of the church, or scriptures.

All are invited to watch. On Saturday, there will be some statistics given in the 2nd session which may be of interest (gives total membership, # of missionaries, report on financials, etc.). Also in that session is when members of the church sustain the leaders of the church as well as some of the General Authorities (leadership) are sometimes called.

* priesthood session is for men only, however, since they print the priesthood session and have been broadcasting it, women read/watch as well.

3 hours ago, beefche said:

You can watch General Conference on lds.org, mormon.org, byutv.org or if you have cable/satellite, you may have BYUTV as a channel and can watch it there. It begins on Saturday at 12 noon EST and lasts for 2 hours. Then there is a 2 hour break and the next session begins 4 pm EST. The priesthood session* begins after a 2 hour break at 8 pm EST.

General Conference resumes on Sunday at 12 noon EST, 2 hour break and final session is at 4 pm EST. 

You can expect a lot of talking with some hymns sung by choirs interspersed. The talks are separate talks and you do not need to watch from beginning to end to "follow" along. Also, the videos of these sessions will be available usually within 24 hours on lds.org. The written talk will be available usually on Thurs after the final session (in this case, on Thursday 4/7/16). In the 2 hour breaks in between the sessions are videos on news of the church as well as videos about the church, members of the church, or scriptures.

All are invited to watch. On Saturday, there will be some statistics given in the 2nd session which may be of interest (gives total membership, # of missionaries, report on financials, etc.). Also in that session is when members of the church sustain the leaders of the church as well as some of the General Authorities (leadership) are sometimes called.

* priesthood session is for men only, however, since they print the priesthood session and have been broadcasting it, women read/watch as well.

Thank you for taking the time to share this information with me.

Am I the only one who seems to be on a time delay? I'm watching it "live" through BYUTV on my Roku. It started about 12:10 EST (and you know how punctual the church is about Gen Conf).  And I noticed that lds.net on FB posted the summary of the talk that I am still watching. 

Was there a wardrobe malfunction fear? Someone's tie coming undone? LOL!

9 minutes ago, beefche said:

Am I the only one who seems to be on a time delay? I'm watching it "live" through BYUTV on my Roku. It started about 12:10 EST (and you know how punctual the church is about Gen Conf).  And I noticed that lds.net on FB posted the summary of the talk that I am still watching.

We started on BYUtv, then switched to the computer because of the delay. Eventually, because we missed the first hymn and prayer, we went back to the BYU broadcast version.

It is/was odd.

We did get to see the last few minutes of BYU sports TV, though. Made it all worth it.  (Please note the sarcasm.)

Lehi

17 minutes ago, beefche said:

I'm watching it "live" through BYUTV on my Roku.

13 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Eventually, because we missed the first hymn and prayer, we went back to the BYU broadcast version.

Same experience as you both... also BYUtv on Roku.
Wonderful first session. There is no doubt that General Conference(GC) takes on a totally different tone when you are prepared, listening for answers and have a sincere desire to watch and be taught by the Spirit. As a youth GC was unfortunately a time to take a nap and often done as an obligation... one of those things I wish I could go back and change about myself.

That quote function keeps messing me up. Sorry for the random quote, beefche. 

Do any of you remember being a kid, and you get hurt but manage to hold it together until someone asks if you're okay, and you kind of lose it? (Okay, I've done that as an adult.) That's kind of what this session was like for me. Those who speak for the Lord, saying, "Life can be really hard. You've had a tough time. But you're okay, and here's how." 

1 hour ago, Eowyn said:

That quote function keeps messing me up. Sorry for the random quote, beefche. 

Do any of you remember being a kid, and you get hurt but manage to hold it together until someone asks if you're okay, and you kind of lose it? (Okay, I've done that as an adult.) That's kind of what this session was like for me. Those who speak for the Lord, saying, "Life can be really hard. You've had a tough time. But you're okay, and here's how." 

I know what you mean!

My digital cable provider finally picked up BYU-TV, and so I've been watching it normally and not through Roku. 

So near as I can tell, it's running on time or even *ahead* of schedule. 

Might be something with Roku, then. 

I watched it on YouTube via The Mormon Channel, no delays although it's now nearly midnight in the UK.

It was my first time watching it.. It was awesome!

I liked these two quotes the best

"Satan wants us to think our joy is self delusion.  choose to have hearts softened and nourish the seed"

"when we are distant from God we want him to solve all ourproblems immediately, when we are close to God we willingly recognise all the blessings he is already given us"

I really liked the talk about being sensitive to those kids who's home life isn't the ideal.   It resonated with me as my husband is a Buddhist and my kids go to Church.  I think it probably has more to do with the recent policy changes for baptism tho.

15 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

I watched it on YouTube via The Mormon Channel, no delays although it's now nearly midnight in the UK.

It was my first time watching it.. It was awesome!

I liked these two quotes the best

"Satan wants us to think our joy is self delusion.  choose to have hearts softened and nourish the seed"

"when we are distant from God we want him to solve all ourproblems immediately, when we are close to God we willingly recognise all the blessings he is already given us"

I really liked the talk about being sensitive to those kids who's home life isn't the ideal.   It resonated with me as my husband is a Buddhist and my kids go to Church.  I think it probably has more to do with the recent policy changes for baptism tho.

Yes both of these talks really resonated with me. I could not really figure out what Bro Bednar was getting at but I have this problem with him frequently. I read his book on Learning and I have no clue as to what that book was about.

i stopped watching on lds.org because it was repeating the am broadcast and switched to Byutv. Yes Byutv is very proud of its reality shows!

:offtopic:

The perfect examples of why I hate Daylight Shifty Time:

21 hours ago, Eowyn said:

MDT (Mountain Daylight Time). (MST = Mountain Standard Time and is between the second 01:00 AM on the first Sunday in November and 01:59:59 on the second Sunday in the following March.)

21 hours ago, beefche said:

Saturday at 12 noon EST and lasts for 2 hours. Then there is a 2 hour break and the next session begins 4 pm EST. The priesthood session* begins after a 2 hour break at 8 pm EST.

EDT (see above).

5 hours ago, beefche said:

It started about 12:10 EST

EDT (see above)....

Gaaaaaa!

:backtotopic:

10 minutes ago, zil said:

:offtopic:

The perfect examples of why I hate Daylight Shifty Time:

MDT (Mountain Daylight Time). (MST = Mountain Standard Time and is between the second 01:00 AM on the first Sunday in November and 01:59:59 on the second Sunday in the following March.)

EDT (see above).

EDT (see above)....

Gaaaaaa!

:backtotopic:

Various daylight saving times why I just look up a "world clock" whenever i need something.

34 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

oops

If that's for the MST/MDT thing, don't worry - no one gets these right (except people like me who have to code them and therefore know the rules far too well).  It's just not a natural thing for people, and I contend we shouldn't have to deal with such nonsense.  I was just using the opportunity to vent my favorite rant. :)