18 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I am watching on lds.org. No delay. No wardrobe misfuntions. Interesting floral presentation. Kind of prairie grass. Hmm. A ecological theme? Just kidding! :P

I actually sent a text message to a friend of mine in our bishopric asking him "Wow, is that REAL grass in the back drop"?  I just know he was rolling his eyes thinking "Only Brother Karma....." (Karma in place of my name, of course) Hey, inquiring minds, ya know?

I'm here and was watching live front and center yesterday.  I met with one of the 70 and got some reserved tickets.. Nice.

I'm about to go over for the Music and Spoken Word then the a.m. session.   Again for the afternoon session I have a reserved seat which means I can go in 5 minutes before and still have the seat.. 

Could everyone hear what went on with the sustaining yesterday?  Or did they cut that out?

I really liked Elder Uckdorf's message.. 

President Monson had quite a short talk.. 

dc

1 hour ago, David13 said:

I'm here and was watching live front and center yesterday.  I met with one of the 70 and got some reserved tickets.. Nice.

I'm about to go over for the Music and Spoken Word then the a.m. session.   Again for the afternoon session I have a reserved seat which means I can go in 5 minutes before and still have the seat.. 

Could everyone hear what went on with the sustaining yesterday?  Or did they cut that out?

I really liked Elder Uckdorf's message.. 

President Monson had quite a short talk.. 

dc

When you go this afternoon, feel the grass! Just kidding! :rolleyes: We heard Pres Uchtdorf say that there had been some dissenting votes and that those people should see their stake presidents. That's all.

Lucky you to see conference live. We all wish we were there with you.

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, David13 said:

We heard someone shout "NO!" After several sustainings. I love President Uctdorf's response, "noted".

3 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

We heard someone shout "NO!" After several sustainings. I love President Uctdorf's response, "noted".

I actually appreciated Pres Monson's correcting Pres Uchtdorf to acknowledge the negative votes. I think it shows that they do take the votes seriously and pointed out the correct process in dealing with them.  I'm sure Church critics think of that in other terms, but that's how I view it.

I remember when the oppositionists started their online movement last year--they were so sure (based on experiences in the 1970s) that a "no" vote was an automatic ticket to a personal meeting with a member of the First Presidency.  I love, on many levels, the Church's response of referring the oppositionists back to their stake presidents.  Reinforces the role of a stake's Presiding High Priest (I think we often don't appreciate just how much priesthood authority our SP's wield), denies the oppositionists the access to power (and the PR value of being able to say they met with an apostle) that they crave, and compels them to "put up or shut up" by bringing their concerns to precisely the local leaders who many of these malcontents make it a point to avoid.

18 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

The Church's response of referring the oppositionists back to their stake presidents.  Reinforces the role of a stake's Presiding High Priest (I think we often don't appreciate just how much priesthood authority our SP's wield),

This is another example of the Church's getting in line with the scriptures as we Saints become more obedient to the Lord.

The Doctrine and Covenants makes the stake the fundamental unit of organization of the Church. When I was set apart as  missionary, an Assistant to the Twelve did the ordinance (as with all the other missionaries of the time). Today, the stake president is performing his duty. And so the responsibility for running the Church is again devolving to the stakes where the Lord has told us it belongs.

I believe the centralizing tendency we are now overcoming came about when an Apostles was simultaneously called as a stake president or a Temple president. The Church is too large for that now. So it is to our advantage to align ourselves with the Lord's will and command.

Lehi

7 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I was there right in the first front center section.. From the right rear 2 or 3 times some female called out loud "object" once each to the first two or three sustainings.

At first President Uchtdorf seemed annoyed or like he didn't know how to respond.  After they got into the lesser, or later callings, the objections either ceased, or they threw the malcontent out.

He only came up with "noted" on the second or third shout out.

What he did, which was good, was say "show by the usual signal or something" the raising of hands.. Then on the second or third, he said "Any objection BY THE SAME SIGN".

So then maybe the Miss (or Mrs) "I get to run the church" either shut up or raised her hand.  I couldn't see and didn't look.

Then later, as they did in previous years, he said "Pres Monson told me to say see your stake pres."

I didn't hear a "no" but maybe that came from somewhere else.

dc

8 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

When you go this afternoon, feel the grass! Just kidding! :rolleyes: We heard Pres Uchtdorf say that there had been some dissenting votes and that those people should see their stake presidents. That's all.

Lucky you to see conference live. We all wish we were there with you.

Sunday21, you ought to know as well as I that those were Chia plants.. Who wouln't know that.

I was blessed.  I didn't have to say anything.  A friend just said I willl talk to a 70 I know and see if I can get you more tickets and upgraded tickets, which I did get.  Front and center for three sessions.

I met with the Elder from the 70 yesterday am.

And it turned out that my ticket for Sunday morning was actually quite good, terrace 12, the ticket from my Stake Pres.

dc

Edited by David13

27 minutes ago, David13 said:

Sunday21, you ought to know as well as I that those were Chia plants.. Who wouln't know that.

I was blessed.  I didn't have to say anything.  A friend just said I willl talk to a 70 I know and see if I can get you more tickets and upgraded tickets, which I did get.  Front and center for three sessions.

I met with the Elder from the 70 yesterday am.

And it turned out that my ticket for Sunday morning was actually quite good, terrace 12, the ticket from my Stake Pres.

dc

Pretty amazing!:eek:

Worth saying twice.

The usual nuts were all over the street as well, shouting, holding up signs.

Just sad that they have no sufficient imagination to go out and do something worthwhile with their lives.

Maybe it's scriptural, maybe they are the, or related to the people in the big building, pointing and mocking, maybe that is it.

dc

Edited by David13

On 4/2/2016 at 0:44 PM, Sunday21 said:

Interesting floral presentation. Kind of prairie grass. Hmm. A ecological theme? Just kidding! :P

I did Saturday audio only, so didn't get a look at their shaggy lawn backdrop until Priesthood.  Then I went home and fixed the lawn mower because it kept reminding me of my back yard.

FWIW, once you get the mower chugging, running a cup or so of Sea Foam through it does wonders.  Guess maybe I should change the 10 year old spark plug one of these days.

14 hours ago, David13 said:

Maybe it's scriptural, maybe they are the, or related to the people in the big building, pointing and mocking, maybe that is it.

Every time I read the "great and spacious building" bits, I just keep thinking of the view of Prestonwood Baptist from Arbor Hills Nature Preserve's trails.  

Can't find a photo from the trail, and it's hard to get the full effect from any other angle, but near the observation tower, you can actually look across the river at this behemoth of a building dominating the horizon a couple miles away.

08cfc939e8f0892210502e687051f896.jpg

On 4/2/2016 at 11:27 AM, beefche said:

Am I the only one who seems to be on a time delay? I'm watching it "live" through BYUTV on my Roku. It started about 12:10 EST (and you know how punctual the church is about Gen Conf).  And I noticed that lds.net on FB posted the summary of the talk that I am still watching. 

Was there a wardrobe malfunction fear? Someone's tie coming undone? LOL!

probably not, just an effect of complex technology.

On 4/2/2016 at 11:27 AM, beefche said:

Am I the only one who seems to be on a time delay? I'm watching it "live" through BYUTV on my Roku. It started about 12:10 EST (and you know how punctual the church is about Gen Conf).  And I noticed that lds.net on FB posted the summary of the talk that I am still watching. 

Was there a wardrobe malfunction fear? Someone's tie coming undone? LOL!

probably not, just an effect of complex technology.

1 hour ago, NightSG said:

Every time I read the "great and spacious building" bits, I just keep thinking of the view of Prestonwood Baptist from Arbor Hills Nature Preserve's trails.  

Can't find a photo from the trail, and it's hard to get the full effect from any other angle, but near the observation tower, you can actually look across the river at this behemoth of a building dominating the horizon a couple miles away.

08cfc939e8f0892210502e687051f896.jpg

I'll be honest: to me, that looks more like a college campus than a single church.