"Come, Thou Fount"

The arrangement of "Come, Thou Fount" that was sung at the end of this last session got to me. 

When I was a teenager and young adult, my circle of friends were all musicians, and mostly LDS. Those who weren't were accepting and respectful. About 18 years ago, this large group of dear people and I sang an arrangement very similar at the missionary farewell of one of our friends. 

In the course of those 18 years, some of those friends have left the Church, and some have turned from God completely, including one who became my sister-in-law (and is as of this month my ex sister-in-law... the marriage went in the toilet soon after the Gospel was rejected). That very missionary, in fact, has not only left the Church but has actively fought and picketed against it. 

It made me so sad, but also makes me echo the end of one verse: "Here's my heart, Lord. Take and seal it."

I always loved this song.  I know many were sad to see it removed when the latest edition of the hymnal was published.

Many don't understand what "Ebenezer" means.  The footnote on every copy refers to the scripture (1 Samuel 7:12 ) and saying it means "stone of help".  But that doesn't really help.

The background is that Samuel had finally gotten the Israelites back on track from yet another mini-apostasy.  He raised up the stone and called it ebenezer.  The symbolism of "raising an ebenezer" means that we are renewing our covenants.  Here I'm planting my foot and declaring that I am turning my tent towards Jehovah.  Somehow that gets missed in most ward choirs I've been in.

Edited by Guest

I just read that to my husband, and he remarked that it makes Dickens' choice of " Ebenezer Scrooge" as that character's name pretty interesting. In the end, he did have to recommit to what was right.

Edited by Eowyn

17 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I just read that to my husband, and he remarked that it makes Dickens' choice of " Ebenezer Scrooge" as that character's name pretty interesting. In the end, he did have to recommit to what was right.

That, I believe, is why Dickens chose it.

I got a lot of comfort and peace from Pres. Uchtdorf's talk at the end of Sunday morning session. It was a good reminder to never give up on anyone. The Good Shepherd doesn't. 

Speaking of the Celestial Language...;)

My heart went out yet again to Pres. Monson.  I noticed him faltering, but still enduring to the end.  My children even noticed something off.  I told them that we just need to keep praying for him while he's still with us.

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I got a lot of comfort and peace from Pres. Uchtdorf's talk at the end of Sunday morning session. It was a good reminder to never give up on anyone. The Good Shepherd doesn't. 

I thought the same thing. It gets difficult to endure in hope for something that seems so impossible. I'm grateful for prophets who can help us to elevate our vision from the fence in front of us to see the pathway ahead.