Conference isn't even over and I'm gonna cause problems already

8 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Remember that Smith had a good sense of humor himself. I don't think he would have survived without it. 

Very true!

Anyone catch what the Gen. Primary Presidency are wearing... "Primary Colors"?  (think color wheel)... clever!

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Very true!

Anyone catch what the Gen. Primary Presidency are wearing... "Primary Colors"?  (think color wheel)... clever!

When Hinckley introduced his son as a seventy (or another church authority position) he said "I speak very highly of the mother. Can't say the same about the father". 

Tell me again how super serious they are. 

16 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

When Hinckley introduced his son as a seventy (or another church authority position) he said "I speak very highly of the mother. Can't say the same about the father". 

Tell me again how super serious they are. 

I honestly, truly was sad at his passing, he was the prophet that I personally needed when he was here. One moment you are crying at his story, the next you get to laugh at his humor. My favorite Mormon Message of all time, 4 minutes that always tugs at my heart strings:

Lessons I Learned as a Boy

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

I honestly, truly was sad at his passing, he was the prophet that I personally needed when he was here. One moment you are crying at his story, the next you get to laugh at his humor. My favorite Mormon Message of all time, 4 minutes that always tugs at my heart strings:

That's sort of how I feel about Thomas Monson, except for that he hasn't passed yet, thank God. He has a great sense of humor too, with his Navy days he had to! So did Boyd Packer.

39 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

This was a wonderful message. New to me. Thank you for posting!

I will say this. I don't bleach my hair nearly as much as my mother would love be to because of that bleach-blonde Utah lady look. "But Mom! I don't want to look like the rich housewives in Grandma's old ward!" Mom: "But that's how everyone does their hair!" Me: "So bleach your hair!" Mom: "I don't want to look like the rich housewives in my MIL's old ward!"

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I don't bleach my hair nearly as much as my mother would love 

You dye it green instead, right Backroads? 

10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

You dye it green instead, right Backroads? 

Ooh... No, never green. I've done pink and purple in the past. However, the ward mission leader is a hair stylist and is always doing her own hair funky colors. Perhaps I shall go green... for you of course.

Edited by Backroads

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Backroads said:

Ooh... No, never green. I've done pink and purple in the past. However, the ward mission leader is a hair stylist and is always doing her own hair funky colors. Perhaps I shall go green... for you of course.

Thank you Backroads. You have the Gator seal of approval. Cool kids club card hereby issued. 

Guest MormonGator
7 hours ago, Vort said:

You...can do that?

Yes

50 minutes ago, beefche said:

I need one of those. I'll put it next to my Kiddie Kredit Kard that I've had since I was about 5....

Application sent. 

Didn't mean to post and run, but I had a lot at work and had the lesson this week.

Anyway, I probably should have been more clear. Part of what I look for in diversity and inclusion is not just skin color. That's superficial. I'm looking for people in leadership positions who have lives that look like mine. I'm not married now, I don't have bunches of kids, I don't even have grandkids yet. I work and have worked for years. I'm not one of these sweet LDS leadership ladies who always sound like they are talking to kindergarteners. Often, I feel like I can't be myself with the women at church because they don't have any experience being out in the world with men and people who aren't LDS and having to deal with all of that.  The only person I feel I can really talk to is another convert who works on campus. I'd just like to see some women in leadership who haven't been at home eating bon bons for 20 years. /ducks and runs.

21 minutes ago, dahlia said:

Didn't mean to post and run, but I had a lot at work and had the lesson this week.

Anyway, I probably should have been more clear. Part of what I look for in diversity and inclusion is not just skin color. That's superficial. I'm looking for people in leadership positions who have lives that look like mine. I'm not married now, I don't have bunches of kids, I don't even have grandkids yet. I work and have worked for years. I'm not one of these sweet LDS leadership ladies who always sound like they are talking to kindergarteners. Often, I feel like I can't be myself with the women at church because they don't have any experience being out in the world with men and people who aren't LDS and having to deal with all of that.  The only person I feel I can really talk to is another convert who works on campus. I'd just like to see some women in leadership who haven't been at home eating bon bons for 20 years. /ducks and runs.

All the better that you're the RS teacher!  People need to see diversity- it does exist, but so often people who don't fit the "mold" try to blend in which only encourages the illusion of the "mold".

43 minutes ago, dahlia said:

Dear D, this is why you post here! I am in the same industry as you. I know how you feel.

3 hours ago, dahlia said:

Often, I feel like I can't be myself with the women at church because they don't have any experience being out in the world with men and people who aren't LDS and having to deal with all of that.

I don't understand this.  You are you, not someone else.  The best contribution you can make to eternity is to be the best you you can be - not the best me, not the best someone else, not a cookie-cutter-Mormon woman, you.  God did not create replicas, He created individuals.  The world does not need a bunch of cutouts, it needs strong, intelligent, righteous, unique individuals who choose to unite for a common purpose - to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

(In case you can't tell, I feel strongly about this topic.)

No one can elevate themselves by putting others down. I'm disappointed that I don't feel I can even reply to this topic because I'm seen as a bonbon popping baby machine with nothing more to contribute. 

Edited by Eowyn

On 4/3/2016 at 1:15 PM, Eowyn said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheri_L._Dew

These are two prominent, educated, professionally accomplished LDS women that come to mind.

But it doesn't matter. Educated =/= qualified. Accomplished =/= qualified.  Called = qualified. This is the Lord's work and really, none of us is qualified or experienced enough to do any of it. We all stand in need of His help and teaching. We're all given whatever resources we need to do what He asks of us. Obedience, humility, keeping covenants, and striving to do what's right are some of the primary credentials for filling any calling. 

I don't think anyone could come up with a better response that than.

dc