Husbands Being the Main Source of Stress

22 minutes ago, NightSG said:

I bet you even know when to hyphenate anal retentive, don't you? :P

Like other two-word (or multi-word) modifiers, it is hyphenated when used directly as an adjective and not hyphenated when used e.g. as the complement in a copulative sentence. For example: "He is an anal-retentive contributor" vs. "That contributor is anal retentive."

P.S. Knowing such things does not make one anal retentive. In case anyone was wondering.

3 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Generally people don't compare themselves to fictional characters... they are more likely to compare other people they to know to the other fictional characters. 

For example a man simply puts himself in the main male lead role (no matter how big the disconnect) and lives vicariously... 

This vicarious living is kinda of the point of entertainment.

However the nature of vicarious living is that it is probably seen as "better" then their "real" life so they start to want their real life to take on the "better" aspects of the fake one.  This will lead to him comparing his spouse/GF to the fictional women.  This is of course a comparison they can not win which is why it hurts so much.

Same is true in reverse.  Women don't read the romance novels to compare themselves to the female lead.  They read it to be the female lead, vicariously, and they can and do run into the exact same problem as men can

Now people who are generally happy and stable in the "real" world are better able to resist this lure... but everyone has low points and moments of weakness were this can hook them.

Right on.

Ever since my very first novel (that was not assigned as a Reading Material in school) - The Mystery of the 99 Steps - I've always looked at the characters - in this case Nancy Drew - as an interesting study of the 3rd person instead of putting me in Nancy Drew's shoes.  I'm thinking about it right now and I think it stems from me as a Filipino reading American books... it would be too much of a leap to be an American Detective.  Rather, I'm more interested in what American Detectives are like and how they own top down jalopies.  And that's always been how I see the characters in the story including Elizabeth Bennett.  It's like I'm getting to know this person as a friend.  That's why I really don't like Twilight, Hunger Games, and Divergent... I don't wanna be friends with those stupid girls.

Now movies... yeah, there are movies like Superman The Movie where I fantasize flying with Superman like Lois Lane.  But no, I don't fantasize being an airhead reporter who can't spell and has to be saved from her airheadedness.  LOL.

But yeah, I know lots of people who measure the meaning of their lives against their favorite novels.

Edited by anatess2

3 hours ago, Vort said:

Like other two-word (or multi-word) modifiers, it is hyphenated when used directly as an adjective and not hyphenated when used e.g. as the complement in a copulative sentence. For example: "He is an anal-retentive contributor" vs. "That contributor is anal retentive."

P.S. Knowing such things does not make one anal retentive. In case anyone was wondering.

Sure.  You just go on believing that.  :rolleyes: