20 Years of MMMBop

anatess2

http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/hanson-on-20-years-of-mmmbop.html

Wow.  I'm OLD!  I still have Middle of Nowhere in my car!

What's really great about that album is that the 3 Hanson brothers are like my family when we get together.  I have a bunch of musically talented uncles and cousins and when we get together the instruments just start coming out and a jam session starts to form.  That's how I learned to play the guitar... there's always a bunch of instruments lying around and the uncles and cousins pick up some tune and I usually pull out 2 spoons to play along with the beat but then a guitar would be free and I'd pick it up and just start following along... we can go for an entire day like that.  A few Christmases ago I took my kids to spend Christmas with my uncles and cousins and a jam session formed in the middle of the Christmas party - one cousin brought his trumpet, another brought her violin, another uncle brought his accordion... several guitars came out that we ran out of room on the amp.  The grand piano was in the middle of the room.  We were at my uncle's house that was only 1500 sq feet in a retirement community (strict sound ordinance) and the instruments were spilling into the kitchen.  This was my 2 kids' first experience with it and they had the time of their life!  My eldest kid took over the grand piano (he was only 10 years old at the time and has never played accompaniment - he's always played solo piano) and he was able to keep up with the professional musicians.... my other son who is a drummer didn't have his instrument - there were no drumsets in the house - but he was just happy laying claim to the tambourine.  There were about 50 people in this tiny house, more than half of them joining in and out of the impromptu jam session.

So yeah, Middle of Nowhere comes out almost 20 years ago and I remember hearing the garage version of Man from Milwaukee and I was hooked!  It made me miss home so much where the jam sessions are more common.  Hanson is pure unadulterated talent.  But Mmmbop is not my favorite song in that album.  This is (although it never got released as a single):

How 'bout:

Rocky Raccoon checked into his room only to find Gideon's Bible.

Kodachro-o-ome gives us the nice bright colors.
Gives us the gree-ee-eens of summers.
Makes you thin all the world's in a sunny day
Oh-yah.

Edited by Guest

20 hours ago, Carborendum said:

How 'bout:

Rocky Raccoon checked into his room only to find Gideon's Bible.

Kodachro-o-ome gives us the nice bright colors.
Gives us the gree-ee-eens of summers.
Makes you thin all the world's in a sunny day
Oh-yah.

Simonn and Garfunkel?  Man... that's before my time.  Hah hah.

Although... the fam love to jam to Sounds of Silence because the harmonizing is always fun to get into.  LOL.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

C'mon... Mmmbop is mid-90's y'all!  LOL!

My mid 90's consisted of Nine Inch Nails, Megadeth, Metallica....you know, good bands. :D

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

WHAAAAA????

You spent a decade-long mission in the 90's or something?  :D  Mmmbop only played like... every 30 minutes on the FM pop stations back in its day...

The 90s were filled with more "women's angst" type artists that served to tell all women that they were oppressed. I didn't spend a whole lot of time listening to new music during that era.  But I did hear the songs that actually WERE on every 30 minutes, like "Building a Mystery", "One Head Light", "Who Will Save your Soul?"  I used to call "Building a Mystery" the "Vampire Song".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QUq72fla3o

Guest MormonGator
15 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

The 90s were filled with more "women's angst" type artists that served to tell all women that they were oppressed. I didn't spend a whole lot of time listening to new music during that era.  But I did hear the songs that actually WERE on every 30 minutes, like "Building a Mystery", "One Head Light", "Who Will Save your Soul?"  I used to call "Building a Mystery" the "Vampire Song".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QUq72fla3o

Good point. Between Tori Amos, Alanis Morrisette, Sara McGlouhglin, etc the 90's was certainly a decade where women dominated the pop music era. 

Grunge was still popular from 1988-1994ish though. So it wasn't just angst ridden girl rock. 

The late 90s were more the boy band era. I'm surprised Hanson was in between the two. Then again, they were dudes, right? 

(just teasing Anatess) 

Edited by MormonGator

On 4/7/2016 at 2:47 PM, beefche said:

I haven't heard that song before. That was great!

Yeah, I feel so old these days seeing things that say "this is the 20th/30th/40th anniversary of xxxx!" 

It's odd to think that '90s music is now as old as all those "oldies" songs from the '60s that my parents used to play on road trips when I was a kid in the '80s.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

17 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

It's odd to think that '90s music is now as old as all those "oldies" songs from the '60s that my parents used to play on road trips when I was a kid in the '80s.

Stop it.  I grew up on 60s music.  You're making me feel old. Oh.  Wait.

Edited by Guest

20 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

On my dad's brand-spanking new cassette tape mix that was the rage when I was a kid on family road trips:

Connie Francis (Vee ay see ay tii ay oh en....)

Tony Bennet (I walk along the streets of sorrow.... waaaaaa)

Frank Sinatra (My Way is my dad's song.  We still end up crying when we hear it... and it's a special person that is allowed to sing it on karaoke nights)

And he was very proud of being "modern" for having Don McLean (Starry starry night...) in there.

He, of course, can't understand what's so good about The Reflex... especially the dance tape mix that we loved as kids that goes "pleck pleck pleck pleck plex" over and over.  Hah hah.

• 3 weeks later...

anatess, were you a member of Hanson.net? Your screen name looks familiar.  I also loved Mmmbop when it came out, I was a bit older than the average fan, I was 18. I hated the grunge music of the late 80's and early 90s, so Mmmbop was kind of a breath of fresh air, lol. In 2006 I got to interview the guys before one of their concerts, very down to earth and nice guys. They love what they do and they love their fans. I don't care for some of the new stuff they have released though.

On 07/04/2016 at 1:57 PM, Carborendum said:

Ok.  I've never heard of this band or this song.  Whaa???

That's hard to imagine, not knowing about Hanson. If you were a kid or the mother of a kid and/or listened to the radio in the late '90s you couldn't miss them. ?

M.

On 5/1/2016 at 9:59 AM, Echo2002 said:

anatess, were you a member of Hanson.net? Your screen name looks familiar.  I also loved Mmmbop when it came out, I was a bit older than the average fan, I was 18. I hated the grunge music of the late 80's and early 90s, so Mmmbop was kind of a breath of fresh air, lol. In 2006 I got to interview the guys before one of their concerts, very down to earth and nice guys. They love what they do and they love their fans. I don't care for some of the new stuff they have released though.

I'm not THAT much of a fan.  LOL.

I've only been a member of a group's fan club once in my entire life... I was a member of the Menudo Fan Club right when Roby Rosa got joined by Ricky Martin.  LOL.  No, no... I wasn't really a Menudo fan... my best friend wouldn't watch Dirty Dancing with me unless we first spend time trying to get through to the radio station to sign up for the Menudo Fan Club that was giving away wall posters.

Guest MormonGator
17 minutes ago, unixknight said:

Every time I see the title of this thread on the Current Events page this song immediately gets stuck in my head...

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3F

THIS. I've had to blast Hangar 18 by Megadeth and Warthog by The Ramones (two of my favorite songs) whenever I've seen this thread. 

Karma successfully rebalanced.  

6 hours ago, unixknight said:

Every time I see the title of this thread on the Current Events page this song immediately gets stuck in my head...

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3F

I've had "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" stuck in my head for about a decade now. Even when it's a good song, it can get really old.