A Jewish Voice From the Desert

Aish HaTorah

Shalom everyone.  A moderator (my apologies for forgetting which) was kind enough to point me in the direction of this subforum.  I have not had the opportunity to read any of the topics here, but I wanted to say hello and to offer my friendship as well as my brain (that didn't sound quite right...) to anyone who wishes to ask me questions or share your own experiences with our culture and faith.

Oh, and I happen to be Jewish.  I suppose that might be apropos to mention.

I greatly look forward to meeting each of you.

A few things I'd like to mention:

1) I am NOT easily offended.  I am kind and respectful, and if you are the same, I would appreciate that.  Ask me anything without fear.

2) I am NOT here to challenge your faith or disparage your beliefs in any way.  I love learning about all faith experiences.

3) I work odd hours, so if you ask me something and it takes me a spell to respond, please do not think I forgot you.  If it takes a REALLY long time for me to reply, I may not have seen what your post.

4) I am in recovery from sarcasm.  This is an ongoing process.  You have been warned.  ;)

May HaShem bless you and keep you.

Edited by Aish HaTorah

38 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

May HaShem bless you and keep you.

"HaShem" is a Hebrew euphemism meaning "the Name", used by respect the way we use "the Lord" to avoid saying the antemortal name of Jesus Christ (no other way to say it without saying it).

Lehi

10 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

"HaShem" is a Hebrew euphemism meaning "the Name", used by respect the way we use "the Lord" to avoid saying the antemortal name of Jesus Christ (no other way to say it without saying it).

Lehi

I do not believe that I am familiar with the "antemortal name of Jesus Christ.  You are correct, however about the respect part.  We take it a step further.  To us it is forbidden to say the name of HaShem (i.e. the tetragrammaton "yod hey vav hey").

1 hour ago, Aish HaTorah said:

I do not believe that I am familiar with the "antemortal name of Jesus Christ.  You are correct, however about the respect part.  We take it a step further.  To us it is forbidden to say the name of HaShem (i.e. the tetragrammaton "yod hey vav hey").

We believe that Jesus Christ was "the God of the Old Testament", i.e., that He was haShem before His birth. This requires a very detailed explanation (or none at all) because there is a relationship between Who he is/was, and Eloheim.

I don't have time to do it justice, but the Saints here will know Whom I am speaking of.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

9 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

We believe that the Jesus Christ of the New Testament is the God of the Old Testament.  The same one that you use HaShem and the tetragrammaton to represent.

9 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

We believe that Jesus Christ was "the God of the Old Testament", i.e., that He was haShem befoer His birth. This requires a very detailed explanation (or none at all) because there is a relationship between Who he is/was, and Eloheim.

I don't have time to do it justice, but the Saints here will know Whom I am speaking of.

lehi

Elohim, as in the Hebrew plural form of El?  The plurality of G-d.

We believe that Jesus Christ was "the God of the Old Testament", i.e., that He was haShem befoer His birth. This requires a very detailed explanation (or none at all) because there is a relationship between Who he is/was, and Eloheim.

lehi

11 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

We believe that the Jesus Christ of the New Testament is the God of the Old Testament.  The same one that you use HaShem and the tetragrammaton to represent.

lehi

Thank you for clarifying that.  Thanks to all of you.

What brought you to this site, full of crazy Mormons? I hope we have at least given you a good welcome.

Do you want us to call you Aish?

What kinds of discussion are you interested in? What sort of questions from Mormons would you enjoy responding to?

Are there any questions you want to ask of Mormons?

15 minutes ago, tesuji said:

What brought you to this site, full of crazy Mormons? I hope we have at least given you a good welcome.

Do you want us to call you Aish?

What kinds of discussion are you interested in? What sort of questions from Mormons would you enjoy responding to?

Are there any questions you want to ask of Mormons?

Let's see...what brought me to this site?  The Almighty Google.  ;)   As to the matter of whether or not you are all crazy, the jury is still out.  You have all, indeed, given me a warm and thoughtful welcome.  Thank you.

You may call me Aish.  I don't believe I am Catching Fire like some of those Hunger Games folks, but Aish will do.

I am interested in most any discussion.  I cannot promise that my contribution will be at all stimulating (I tend to suffer at times from verbal diarrhea), but I do genuinely enjoy conversation.  What sorts of questions...I am sure that there will be a few (or more) that will come to me in time.

Any and all questions you'd like to ask are welcome.  From serious theological to esoterical to cultural to...whatever.  :)

Edited by Aish HaTorah

What is your interpretation of the word Elohim as used in the first line of Genesis?:

בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ:

If I remember my alefbet correctly, I believe אֱלֹהִים says Elohim?

"El" is "God," but "Elohim" is plural. Correct? I always that it was interesting - so why isn't it ever translated as "Gods created the earth?"

To give you the Mormon angle on this, we believe in and worship what we call the Godhead, which consists of 1) God the Father (whom we call Elohim), 2) Jesus Christ (Jehovah, the God of Abraham and the rest of the Old Testament) and the 3) Holy Spirit. We believe they are three separate beings but one in purpose.

We believe Jesus Christ created the earth under the authority of God the Father. So I think Mormons would tend to think of the beginning of Genesis as "in the beginning, Jesus Christ created the heavens and earth."

But our founder Joseph Smith also delivered a sermon where he gave the idea as "In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and they came together and concocted [prepared] a plan to create the world and people it." https://www.lds.org/ensign/1971/04/the-king-follett-sermon?lang=eng
This interpretation isn't discussed much by Mormons, but it's out there.

Another question - do you have a favorite online Tanakh text you can recommend?

I recently found the following great site. If you play with the settings you can get the Hebrew Old Testament text. Actually, is there such a thing as "Hebrew Old Testament"?

The two texts' names they have are called:
Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
Westminster Leningrad Codex

http://biblewebapp.com/study/

Edited by tesuji

Is it only a plural form?  I thought it could either many G-ds or Most High G-d?

It can mean g-ds as well, absolutely.  It is definitely plural.  The absolute literal translation of "El" is strong or mighty one.  We recite that word in the Shema every day.

16 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

It can mean g-ds as well, absolutely.  It is definitely plural.  The absolute literal translation of "El" is strong or mighty one.  We recite that word in the Shema every day.

So it's grammatically plural, but you understand it to be singluar, one G-d?

Hey, I just learned about the Shema from that book I mentioned. So you say it every day? Very cool. I googled it - is this what you repeat every day?:

http://www.jewfaq.org/shemaref.htm

Edited by tesuji

12 minutes ago, tesuji said:

So it's grammatically plural, but you understand it to be singluar. one G-d?

Hey, I just learned about the Shema from that book I mentioned. So you say it every day? Very cool. I googled it - is this what you repeat every day?:

http://www.jewfaq.org/shemaref.htm

Singular, yes.  That is a very LONG debate for which you will get no consensus.  Ask two rabbis a question and you'll get three answers ;).

We recite it twice daily, except on Yom Kippur when we recite it thrice.  We consider it a mitzvah.

Edited by Aish HaTorah

I was fascinated to learn about the Shema. Because I recently decided that if I were to sum up what Mormonism is about, what all Christians should be about, I would give the following scripture from Matthew:

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

It turns out Jesus was quoting from the Torah here. Isn't that right?

I was fascinated to learn about the Shema. Because I recently decided that if I were to sum up what Mormonism is about, what all Christians should be about, I would give the following scripture from Matthew:

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

22 minutes ago, tesuji said:

Absolutely!  Yeshua, of course, was Yehudim, so he would most certainly have been referring to Devarim (Deuteronomy) 6:4-9:

HEAR, O ISRAEL: The L-rd our G-d, the L-rd is one.  ANd thou shalt love the L-rd thy G-d with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.  And these words, which I command you this day, shall be upon thy heart; and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thy house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.  And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thy hand, and they shall be for frontlets between thine eyes.  And thou shalt write them upon the door-posts of thy house, and upon thy gates.

Edited by Aish HaTorah
Can't type accurately and quickly at the same time!

55 minutes ago, tesuji said:

What is your interpretation of the word Elohim as used in the first line of Genesis?:

בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ:

If I remember my alefbet correctly, I believe אֱלֹהִים says Elohim?

"El" is "God," but "Elohim" is plural. Correct? I always that it was interesting - so why isn't it ever translated as "Gods created the earth?"

To give you the Mormon angle on this, we believe in and worship what we call the Godhead, which consists of 1) God the Father (whom we call Elohim), 2) Jesus Christ (Jehovah, the God of Abraham and the rest of the Old Testament) and the 3) Holy Spirit. We believe they are three separate beings but one in purpose.

We believe Jesus Christ created the earth under the authority of God the Father. So I think Mormons would tend to think of the beginning of Genesis as "in the beginning, Jesus Christ created the heavens and earth."

But our founder Joseph Smith also delivered a sermon where he gave the idea as "In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and they came together and concocted [prepared] a plan to create the world and people it." https://www.lds.org/ensign/1971/04/the-king-follett-sermon?lang=eng
This interpretation isn't discussed much by Mormons, but it's out there.

You are correct, It does say Elohim, which is a plurality.  G-d often refers to himself in the plural, but then He uses a singular form of whatever verb follows.  In the example from Bereshit you mentioned above, Elohim is plural, while the verb "bara," created is singular.

This isn't always the case.  He sometimes uses the plural form of the verb as well.

21 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

Absolutely!  Yeshua, of course, was Yehudim, so he would most certainly have been referring to Devarim (Deuteronomy) 6:4-9:

So you're telling me that we believe essentially the same things and the only issue Jews and Christians really have is a minor disagreement about who Jesus was?

:D

11 minutes ago, tesuji said:

So you're telling me that we believe essentially the same things and the only issue Jews and Christians really have is a minor disagreement about who Jesus was?

:D

Well..."minor" is a bit subjective :D, but yes in essence.  Your faith, as does most all of Christianity, has its roots in Judaism.  Of course, there were no Jews before Abraham.

Your view of Yeshua and who he was is a bit of a hurdle for us.

Edited by Aish HaTorah