Stuck in an Excruciating Dilemma...

Awakened

So... A long time ago... I made some dear friends... There's a long story to it but I won't bother getting into that. It's not relevant right now. The problem is, these friends, although great people, have led me to do some sexual things with them outside of marriage. Luckily nothing TOO bad. But it's wrong. And it's definitely keeping me from getting close to my Heavenly Father and going on my Mission.

But in order to repent fully from all this... I greatly fear that... I will have to say goodbye permanently to my friends I'm doing these things with. And deep emotional attachments have developed with us. And even further, these friends are, of course, not LDS, so they probably won't understand if I try to explain why I have to do this. So now, because of my sheer idiocy in giving in to these sexual things, I need to decide now between God or them... :( I want to choose God but it's so very hard to bring myself to say goodbye to them after all we've experienced together. In fact, I haven't been able to do it yet at all.

I don't want to hurt them... They're nice people who don't deserve it. And if I say goodbye permanently, I know it will hurt them so much... I don't want to leave them. But I KNOW this church is true. There is no doubt. Well, I guess there is SOME doubt as anyone will have obviously or else having faith would be impossible as you would have a sure knowledge then. But you know what I mean I'm sure.

Please, any help, advice, or encouragement at all would be greatly appreciated. Even criticism. I don't care. It's perfectly fine. I just badly need to talk about this at least with people who are LDS too. Who understand the gravity of all this.

Edited by Awakened

We've always been taught that we should associate with good people.  Not saying these people aren't good. What I'm saying is those people who make us want to do better.  Who lift us spiritually.  Who don't bring us down to the ranks of sin.  It's hard at times to have to give these people up.  I get that.  They are still good people but just don't have the high standards we should strive to have.  And yes they probably wouldn't understand.  

But there comes a time when you have to do what YOU need to do to bring yourself up to the standards you should be keeping.  If that means breaking an association with people then so be it.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Awakened, how about if you look at this from a different perspective.  You say these are good people, so I"ll take your word for it.  I have friends that are not members of the church too.  My friends that are not members might not understand all my choices but they try to support me.  Your friends should do the same for you.

Explain to them what you need to do and why.  True friends will support you.  If they are true friends, they will remain your friends, and support you in living the Law of Chastity.  If they chose not to continue the friendship (or not to support you--which is choosing not to continue the friendship) then know that it was THEM not you that made that decision to end your friendship.

Heavenly Father needs to come first.  All that we have, and are, and hope to be is through Him.  The only other option is to choose to follow Satan.  He does not take care of those who follow him.  He doesn't love them, he uses them and tosses them aside.  Don't choose that path.  Choose to love and follow Heavenly Father...no matter the cost it will be worth it.  He will make certain it is worth it. Trust Him.  He has blessings in store for you, friendships and more, that you can't even begin to imagine right now.  Just trust Him, and follow Him.