Exotic Pets...Just for Fun

Aish HaTorah

If you could own any kind of exotic animal (assuming there were no restrictions to the animal in the area in which you live and had the resources to care for the pet), what would you pick an why?

Or, even if it is already permitted in the area you live, what crazy animal do you not have, but would like to?

Guest MormonGator

No question it would be a tarantula or a boa constrictor. I love snakes and spiders. 

Sadly though, the beautiful Lady Gator doesn't share my opinion on them. 

I have "settled" for my precious little pit bull, an English Bull Terrier. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

I can send you snakes (probably not boas), spiders, and scorpions from our yard.  :D

lol. I live in Florida so if I really wanted too I'm sure I could out and collect them. The Everglades is crawling with boas (cheesy pun intended). 

9 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

lol. I live in Florida so if I really wanted too I'm sure I could out and collect them. The Everglades is crawling with boas (cheesy pun intended).

I should have remembered all the episodes of Duck Dynasty.  Not Florida, but close enough.  ;)

I could use a little less exotic pets... we have 6 ball pythons.  Want them MormonGator?

But yeah, if I had the money, I'd build a public zoo.  Elephants and giraffes and lions and tigers and silverbacks and chimpanzees and all that jazz... and shamu.  I want shamu.  Sea World don't want shamu anymore.

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I used to have a Mexican Redknee Tarantula.  I miss that spider.

?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-N7C

Thinking about getting a Mexican Fireleg next.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.backwaterreptiles.co

Gorgeous pics. Spiders and snakes are easily the most misunderstood animals out there, no question. 

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

I'm not that deep.

Lehi

lol. 

Pit bulls are up there too. I've seen pits that wouldn't hurt a fly and I've seen pugs that are nasty little creatures. 

Guest MormonGator

My dog is trained in protection (we live out in the woods) so she would defend LadyGator and I. However the cool thing is that my niece and nephew can pull on her ears, basically drive her crazy and she doesn't care. 

Guest MormonGator

My dog is trained in protection (we live out in the woods) so she would defend LadyGator and I. However the cool thing is that my niece and nephew can pull on her ears, basically drive her crazy and she doesn't care. 

3 hours ago, Aish HaTorah said:

If you could own any kind of exotic animal (assuming there were no restrictions to the animal in the area in which you live and had the resources to care for the pet), what would you pick an why?

Or, even if it is already permitted in the area you live, what crazy animal do you not have, but would like to?

Over the course of my life I've owned many exotic animals... mostly of the reptilian or arachnid/arthropod variety.  As I grow older I find that I want to "own" animals less and less and just observe them more and more.  As a kid I used to collect EVERYTHING... bring it home and keep it.  Even some of my adult years have had these phases of wanting to own or posses.... but for the most part I've been moving more and more away from that.

These days I get a much bigger thrill at being able to observe an animal in it's natural habitat and get a few snapshots of it.  Admittedly, I still love to hold and capture animals, (again, mostly reptiles and arthropods) and pose them for photos before releasing them.  Perhaps I'm moving toward a time when all I will take will be "in situ" photos... completely hands-off.  I guess only time will tell.

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, EarlJibbs said:

I would want a fox. They can be domesticated and actually start acting like a dog. So should I just get a dog? Nah. 

I read somewhere that many people have had domesticated foxes as pets and you are right, they act just like dogs.