Exotic Pets...Just for Fun

Aish HaTorah

9 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I read somewhere that many people have had domesticated foxes as pets and you are right, they act just like dogs. 

I once decided to investigate whether you could get a Dingo as a pet. Then I found out that Blue Healers were part Dingo. I really don't like Blue Healers. 

Also, it's illegal to keep a DIngo as a pet in Australia and they don't let you export them. 

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, EarlJibbs said:

I once decided to investigate whether you could get a Dingo as a pet. Then I found out that Blue Healers were part Dingo. I really don't like Blue Healers. 

Also, it's illegal to keep a DIngo as a pet in Australia and they don't let you export them. 

I know a guy who attempted to keep a wolf-dog as a pet. It was nasty, mouthy, and eventually he had to give it away. Not a good idea. 

18 hours ago, Aish HaTorah said:

If you could own any kind of exotic animal (assuming there were no restrictions to the animal in the area in which you live and had the resources to care for the pet), what would you pick an why?

Or, even if it is already permitted in the area you live, what crazy animal do you not have, but would like to?

Fox, wolf, cheetah, ocelot, or some of the bigger cats. It'd be awesome to care for such.

14 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I read somewhere that many people have had domesticated foxes as pets and you are right, they act just like dogs. 

Not quite like dogs. they definitely have their own unique behaviors.... altho if you get one of the siberian experiment ones, they have more behaviors like dogs than do other species.
The siberian ones are the closest to being domesticated, all others are tamed ones.

the biggest issues people have with them is they tend to have more destructive tendencies and if you want an indoor fox it takes more training as well as a real high maintenance to avoid the smell.

the other really really really big issue is there isn't any current way to test or cure for rabies in foxes that aren't terminal.

Edited by Blackmarch

18 hours ago, NightSG said:

Rat shortage in your neighborhood?  They're not too picky and will eat stray yap dogs too.

I can come by rats. The problem is once you get to the adult rabbit, adult chicken, baby pig sizes that it becomes a problem. 
When we lived in Utah, we had large Burmese pythons, our largest was about 16'. We would go to to local animal control station and get rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. all the time. The employees all knew what it was for and were glad the animals were put to good use instead of simply being euthanized and discarded. 

1 hour ago, NeedleinA said:

I can come by rats. The problem is once you get to the adult rabbit, adult chicken, baby pig sizes that it becomes a problem. 

No university with a farm near you?  The local one has classes in both raising and butchering, so it's fairly cheap to get an animal at any stage from birth to completely disassembled.  Guessing they prefer live food, but if they'll take fresh dead, feral hog piglets and rabbits can be plentiful in certain farm areas.  Live trapping them costs more, though.

Or if you can manage proper obedience training, you could just rent it out to farmers and let it find its own food.

Guest LiterateParakeet

There should be a warning on this thread with all those tarantula pictures, especially when one might be on one phone and scrolling with one's FINGERS!  EEK!  The snakes are okay though. ;)

I keep changing my.mind, but I'm going to go with grizzly bear. You know, like Grizzly Adams. Would that make me Grizzly Eve? Lol