Woman as Heart

Connie

On a lighter note, women excel at the fine are of guilt.  The kind that strikes you right in the heart.  I do not know about Mormon mothers, but my mother still has the ability to make me hide under the sink and cry like a baby in the corner with my thumb inserted firmly in mouth and looking for a blanket.  Guilt.  Ah, guilt.

My mother doesn't just enjoy guilt trips, she runs the travel agency.

Edited by Aish HaTorah

Okay, this is how I see it:

1.) We come from Heavenly Father.

2.) We proceed to be born on earth.

3.) We then leave earth to go back to Heavenly Father.

Presiding these events is Priesthood Power.  Priesthood Power is exercised by a Holy Covenant between Man and God and between Woman and God from pre-mortality through post-mortality.

Now, think of those events as a Circle going counter-clockwise... from Heavenly Father back to Heavenly Father... with the events leading to being born on earth on the left side and the going back to Heavenly Father on the right side.

The Woman is the heart because the woman exercises her role under Priesthood Power in leading souls from Heavenly Father to our mortal birth.  The Man is the mind because the man exercises his role under Priesthood Power in leading souls from our mortal death back to Heavenly Father.  The heart part is complete faith to follow Christ.  The mind part wades through mortal logic to find Christ.

Of course, the events between mortal birth and mortal death is a perfect cooperation of Man and Woman fulfilling each of their own roles in bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of Man.  But the Woman is the one charged with bringing souls into mortality in the same way that it was Eve who chose to eat the Apple.  And the Man is the one charged with bringing souls to immortality with their exercise of the Holy Priesthood to fulfill the saving ordinances of the gospel.

Edited by anatess2

On 4/25/2016 at 1:28 PM, CV75 said:

Eve was the mother of three sons: Cain, Abel, and Seth.

Cain, Abel, and Seth were only three of many. If we assume that Eve lived about as long as Adam (i.e., 1,000 years, about 60 in the Garden), and that her reproductive life was the same fraction of her life as it would be with XXI women, she'd have had about 300 years of children bearing. Given some 2 years between births, she could have had 150 children, ~½ of which would have been sons.

We know that Cain was not the first, because he married his niece, presumably the daughter of an older brother and sister. We also know that Able died when he was a young adult (or older), and that Cain was older. It is unlikely to the extreme that Abel was the youngest child of the First Family, and that he had younger siblings, both brothers and sisters.

In the nine centuries that Adam (and Eve) lived, he would have seen his own twenty-fifth- or -seventh-great grandchildren.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

14 hours ago, LeSellers said:

Cain, Abel, and Seth were only three of many. If we assume that Eve lived about as long as Adam (i.e., 1,000 years, about 60 in the Garden), and that her reproductive life was the same fraction of her life as it would be with XXI women, she'd have had about 300 years of children bearing. Given some 2 years between births, she could have had 150 children, ~½ of which would have sons.

We know that Cain was not the first, because he married his niece, presumably the daughter of an older brother and sister. We also know that Able died when he was a young adult (or older), and that Cain was older. It is unlikely to the extreme that Abel was the youngest child of the First Family, and that he had younger siblings, both brothers and sisters.

In the nine centuries that Adam (and Eve) lived, he would have seen his own twenty-fifth- or -seventh-great grandchildren.

Lehi

...and think of the prospect of hundred-year old hand-me-down diapers: quite troubling indeed!

16 hours ago, tesuji said:

I think a good answer to the OP is to read the whole talk wherein the leader says this. They'll tell you what they mean by it.

This is one instance where I don't think they do.

The term "heart" as a symbol can have many meanings.  But I think we can discount the meaning as pertaining to an organ pumping blood.  In our modern society heart has come to mean emotions - anciently it meant the center or the basic essence.  It is my belief that both the man and the woman must learn to work together.  That the two are different - by necessity.  That it is the complementary union of the differences that is the key - rather than to work against the differences we are tasked with the necessity of integrating the differences.  So it is my belief that when we say that the woman is the heart of a marriage - it means that both the husband and the wife are tasked with utilizing the gifts of the woman as the center focus of the family and the union of marriage.  I find this a most interesting and perplexing thought - because as we LDS understand; marriage is the eternal beginning of things as the covenant initiating what constitutes Celestial glory and being one with G-d.  But we have so little revelation of the marriage covenant and it application in our heavenly parents.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator

It might be painting with a big brush. I know many women who are cold as ice and would stab you right in the back (or maybe better, right in the front!). Without getting into a gender war, I think religious people tend to view women as more "pure" or noble than men. Just my observations.

Growing up Catholic it was said many, many times that women wouldn't pressure men for pre-marital sex (a lie) and that's all men would do (a lie). There were also times where boys got different assignments and women didn't.

Now, when a marriage fails I've noticed that people are quick to jump on the side of the woman-even if she was cheating. Or abusing drugs. Rare is the person who thinks that both genders could be at fault.

Speaking of marriage failures, I've seen women punish the father of their children for things that went wrong in the marriage by either making up abuse claims or playing games with visitation rights.  

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
On April 24, 2016 at 10:21 AM, LeSellers said:

Please don't imagine this to be true. Our daughter-in-law has not born a child, but has three by adoption. And our son and his wife and their children are very much a family.

Lehi

Yup. I'm adopted as is my sister. And LadyGator and I don't have kids but we certainly are a family.