Bread in Milk

zil

Yes, I know I could google this, but I thought this way would be more fun.

Is bread in milk a Mormon thing, Utah Mormon thing, American thing, too-poor-for-butter thing....? :unsure:

I've met very few people who consume bread in milk, and all of them had some kind of tie to Utah.  I picked it up from my dad*, whose family came to Utah with the pioneers.  I don't remember mom's family eating bread in milk (they came from Texas).

*Dad sometimes toasts the bread first, which is highly illogical to me - why make bread crunchy just to put it in milk to get soggy?

I remember having cornbread and milk for meals sometimes. Crumble cornbread in a bowl and eat it with milk and sugar like cereal. Sometimes we did the same thing with rice.

It didn't seem like anything unusual at the time, but looking back I think that only happened when money was really tight.

2 minutes ago, zil said:

Is bread in milk a Mormon thing, Utah Mormon thing, American thing, too-poor-for-butter thing....? :unsure:

Um...never heard of it before. Got me?

Closest I could think of was soggy bread pudding or toast in runny cream of wheat, both of which I enjoy!

I think it's a southern thing, mostly.  It would be Utahns with a southern background or influence.  Or maybe poor southern.

The only thing I ever had like that was peaches in milk or cream.  Apparently that is a somewhat southern thing also, so my father in law was curious as to where the influence for that came from.

Probably a magazine with regard to cooking that my mother read.  Unless it was an old European thing that my grandmother started.  Or it could have been old American from my American grandmother.

dc

Just now, NeedleinA said:

Um...never heard of it before. Got me?

Closest I could think of was soggy bread pudding or toast in runny cream of wheat, both of which I enjoy!

Ahhhh, Cream of Wheat - *love* it.  I may have that for dinner.  (I don't usually buy milk, but did yesterday*, so all the "milk-required" foods will be eaten until it's gone. :) )

*And managed to avoid buying Corn Pops, so I have to can use it for other foods.

@Eowyn - I've heard of Italians having rice in milk (at times when there wasn't anything else available).  Cornbread in milk just sounds wrong - cornbread is most properly used as a butter-delivery system. :D

7 minutes ago, David13 said:

I think it's a southern thing, mostly.  It would be Utahns with a southern background or influence.  Or maybe poor southern.

The only thing I ever had like that was peaches in milk or cream.  Apparently that is a somewhat southern thing also, so my father in law was curious as to where the influence for that came from.

Probably a magazine with regard to cooking that my mother read.  Unless it was an old European thing that my grandmother started.  Or it could have been old American from my American grandmother.

dc

Odd then that my father's family - Yankees, all - ate it, but my mother's family - straight out of Dixie - never did.  Eventually I'm going to have to break down and google - just not yet. :)

Peaches in milk/cream, on the other hand, very definitely from the south.

59 minutes ago, zil said:

Cornbread in milk just sounds wrong

Don't knock it til you try it. :) But I haven't had it since childhood, because it's pretty nutritionally vacant. 

1 hour ago, zil said:

Odd then that my father's family - Yankees, all - ate it, but my mother's family - straight out of Dixie - never did.  Eventually I'm going to have to break down and google - just not yet. :)

Peaches in milk/cream, on the other hand, very definitely from the south.

Maybe I'm simply all wrong, then.  Maybe it's a Yankee thing. 

But the peaches.  Yes.  Georgia is the Peach state, you know, which must mean they grow and eat a lotta peaches there.

dc

2 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Biscuts = bread

gravy has milk

"has milk" pffff.  sounds a lot like "has cheezburger"

2 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

gator...your other wife needs to be put in her place...

Hey!  Capital "G"!  And that's "Miss Zil" to you!  Clearly those biscuits and gravy didn't teach you proper southern manners...

Bread w/sugar and nearly any sweet spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc.) then topped with milk is called Poor Man's Pudding. My folks hail from South Dakota. Paternal Grandparents are immigrants from Norway, Maternal GGGGrandparents are from the British Isles, then their descendants are from Nebraska, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and southern Canada.

Store bought white bread is NOT to be used. It turns into the nastiest glob of glue. Home made white bread that is at least three days old is T.H.E. Best!!!

Same goes for cooked white rice. Place hot in a bowl, top with spice, sugar and top off with milk (fresh from the cow is really the best). This is the one of the ways my Mom would eat rice. That or with hamburger, tomatoes, onions, celery, and Italian spices, IF you are using canned and watery tomatoes, then add uncooked rice. Bake at 305 degrees F until dry around the edges.

12 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Bread w/sugar and nearly any sweet spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc.) then topped with milk is called Poor Man's Pudding.

Interesting.  No sugar, no spice, for the bread in milk I know.  Break the bread into pieces (basically like they do when prepping the Sacrament), put it in a glass of milk, eat with a spoon.  It fascinates me that so far no one else does this.  Maybe it's limited to a few families...

I finally caved and googled.  It wasn't much use, but when I limited the search to lds.org, I got a surprising number of results - pages and pages.  Some were about staples, but most were about eating bread in milk in some form.  President Kimball appears to have been a fan.  Wilford Woodruff, Brigham Young.  (They appeared to like more than just plain bread in milk, but I prefer it plain.)  Maybe it came west with them and most families have given up on it... ::shrug::

Growing up I remember bread in milk. We would add honey to ours. If we used white store-bought bread, the heel was the best to use. We'd break it up into a glass, pour milk over it and add a spoonful of honey. My family background is LDS on both sides. We're mainly Danish with some English and Irish thrown in. The family came to Utah from the Eastern part of the US or straight over from Denmark.

6 hours ago, zil said:

Interesting.  No sugar, no spice, for the bread in milk I know.  Break the bread into pieces (basically like they do when prepping the Sacrament), put it in a glass of milk, eat with a spoon.  It fascinates me that so far no one else does this.  Maybe it's limited to a few families...

Oh my gosh. Next to corn dogs, this is the most disgusting food I ever heard of.   No offense. : )