Bread in Milk

zil

2 hours ago, classylady said:

Growing up I remember bread in milk. We would add honey to ours. If we used white store-bought bread, the heel was the best to use. We'd break it up into a glass, pour milk over it and add a spoonful of honey. My family background is LDS on both sides. We're mainly Danish with some English and Irish thrown in. The family came to Utah from the Eastern part of the US or straight over from Denmark.

Hmmm.... Wonder if we're related. My 3rd great grandfather who was a Danish immigrant had 3 wives and many children, so it's possible. ?

I grew up having bread in milk.  It was a tradition from my grandma who lived in Southern Idaho, but I assumed it was a common Mormon thing, but they were also Danish so maybe that's where it comes from.  I still have cake in milk, and some people find it odd, but others I have converted.

Edited by bytebear

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:31 PM, zil said:

Interesting.  No sugar, no spice, for the bread in milk I know.  Break the bread into pieces (basically like they do when prepping the Sacrament), put it in a glass of milk, eat with a spoon.  It fascinates me that so far no one else does this.  Maybe it's limited to a few families...

Had this growing up in the 1960s. At times it was a substitute for breakfast cereal + milk for us kids. Oops edit: No glass, but a bowl. I guess not the same after all. I can still recall the distinct taste of the bread and milk though.

Edited by lonetree

22 hours ago, Eowyn said:

Hmmm.... Wonder if we're related. My 3rd great grandfather who was a Danish immigrant had 3 wives and many children, so it's possible. ?

I have Hansen, Rasmussen, and Thorup blood lines out of Denmark. Probably others, but that's what I remember without looking up my family history.

7 hours ago, classylady said:

I have Hansen, Rasmussen, and Thorup blood lines out of Denmark. Probably others, but that's what I remember without looking up my family history.

I haven't dug very deep into the Danish lines yet, but they're primarily Grundvig. 

On 4/24/2016 at 10:38 PM, classylady said:

Growing up I remember bread in milk. We would add honey to ours. If we used white store-bought bread, the heel was the best to use. We'd break it up into a glass, pour milk over it and add a spoonful of honey. My family background is LDS on both sides. We're mainly Danish with some English and Irish thrown in. The family came to Utah from the Eastern part of the US or straight over from Denmark.

Perhaps sad news for you - but we are likely related through your mentioned Danish connection.  :P  Last name (sen) from both my parents sides - very strong LDS pioneer genealogy.  Bread and milk was a stable from both sides indicating it was not really an economic thing.  My mother's father (my grandfather) was very wealth for his time,  He was a mail carrier, maintained a orchard of about 2 dozen trees (apple, cherry, apricot), a large garden, was a bee keeper and maintained about 100 chickens (mostly egg laying and capons).  He also had a large root cellar that as a child I was convinced was a secret back door into hell.  My father's side was relatively poor (sheep herders). 

Mostly the bread was stale - the mold was cut off and the milk was whole (quite creamy).  Sugar was forbidden, sweetener used was dried fruit - mostly apricots and sometimes apples or raisins - and crystallized honey.  Apparently this bread and milk is a culture thing and a beloved heritage to me but I fear is being lost with upcoming generations - I believe it was part of the pioneer attitude of using up and not wasting anything and relying on what a family could produce and store.  I fear this is all being lost to an affluent wasteful generation that throws out stuff that is still usable but considered inferior.

The Traveler

On 4/23/2016 at 3:01 PM, zil said:

Yes, I know I could google this, but I thought this way would be more fun.

Is bread in milk a Mormon thing, Utah Mormon thing, American thing, too-poor-for-butter thing....? :unsure:

I've met very few people who consume bread in milk, and all of them had some kind of tie to Utah.  I picked it up from my dad*, whose family came to Utah with the pioneers.  I don't remember mom's family eating bread in milk (they came from Texas).

*Dad sometimes toasts the bread first, which is highly illogical to me - why make bread crunchy just to put it in milk to get soggy?

Being from a long line of non-Mormons, we had "milk toast" given to us by our grandmother whenever we had a stomach ache [note to self: don't say you have a stomach ache!): toast in a bowl of milk with sugar. She was "Pennsylvania Dutch" and her family lines (Scots-Irish and German) had been in the USA since the mid-1800s. it wasn't bad, but not worth admitting you're sick for! Her grape soda ice cream sodas were much better LOL

24 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Perhaps sad news for you - but we are likely related through your mentioned Danish connection.  :P  Last name (sen) from both my parents sides - very strong LDS pioneer genealogy.  Bread and milk was a stable from both sides indicating it was not really an economic thing.  My mother's father (my grandfather) was very wealth for his time,  He was a mail carrier, maintained a orchard of about 2 dozen trees (apple, cherry, apricot), a large garden, was a bee keeper and maintained about 100 chickens (mostly egg laying and capons).  He also had a large root cellar that as a child I was convinced was a secret back door into hell.  My father's side was relatively poor (sheep herders). 

Mostly the bread was stale - the mold was cut off and the milk was whole (quite creamy).  Sugar was forbidden, sweetener used was dried fruit - mostly apricots and sometimes apples or raisins - and crystallized honey.  Apparently this bread and milk is a culture thing and a beloved heritage to me but I fear is being lost with upcoming generations - I believe it was part of the pioneer attitude of using up and not wasting anything and relying on what a family could produce and store.  I fear this is all being lost to an affluent wasteful generation that throws out stuff that is still usable but considered inferior.

The Traveler

Maybe reverse psychology is needed - that's how my dad got me to try zucchini bread (much to his everlasting regret). :)

On 4/24/2016 at 5:37 PM, zil said:

Oh, no, lots of southerners do that.  (Esp. if they grew up unable to afford / get cream.)

Well, if I recall correctly, it's much better with cream actually. 

And hey, we were Northerners or Northern Aggressors, if you prefer, central Michigan.

I think it was either tv or a magazine that we got the idea from.  But who knows.  Maybe a Southerner sneaked into the family somehow.

dc

Oh, and just to add something to the topic, bread and milk?  Blah!

Edited by David13

I'm not quite sure what y'all are talking about...

Are you talking about dunking a piece of bread in a glass of milk?

Or are you talking about making french toast with milk?

Anyway, I like making french toast with millk combined with the eggs soaking the bread in it, pan-fry then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

I also like dunking bread in milk.  We, Filipinos, like to "wash" our bread before eating... usually in ice-cold coca-cola, or milk, or even water if we don't have money for anything else.  Depending on the bread, it could be sitting in the liquid for a few seconds to soak up before we eat the soggy bread.  Then, after all the bread is gone, we drink the liquid with all the bread crumbles.  But, we don't do this to sliced bread or any soft bread.  We usually do this with pandesal, baliwag, or any of those crusted breads.  This really started with stale bread.  You know, the bread that got old so it gets hard but not moldy.  Dunking it makes it fresh.  Now I'm hungry.

Edited by anatess2

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I'm not quite sure what y'all are talking about...

Are you talking about dunking a piece of bread in a glass of milk?

Or are you talking about making french toast with milk?

Anyway, I like making french toast with millk combined with the eggs soaking the bread in it, pan-fry then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

I also like dunking bread in milk.  We, Filipinos, like to "wash" our bread before eating... usually in ice-cold coca-cola, or milk, or even water if we don't have money for anything else.  Depending on the bread, it could be sitting in the liquid for a few seconds to soak up before we eat the soggy bread.  Then, after all the bread is gone, we drink the liquid with all the bread crumbles.  But, we don't do this to sliced bread or any soft bread.  We usually do this with pandesal, baliwag, or any of those crusted breads.  This really started with stale bread.  You know, the bread that got old so it gets hard but not moldy.  Dunking it makes it fresh.  Now I'm hungry.

My original post is breaking bread into small pieces (like they do for the sacrament), dropping those pieces into a glass of milk, and then eating them, with a spoon, like you do cereal (apparently, others have used a bowl, and most others have included sugar and/or some other addition).

Your description of french toast sounds like typical french toast.  That is NOT what my OP was about.  Though I love french toast - try mixing a little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice into your batter before you dip the bread - yuuuuummmmmm.

Your last paragraph sounds basically like bread in milk - with a few tweaks (like what the liquid is).  I suspect my bread in milk tradition started with some ancestor who had milk and stale / dried bread.

Excuse me a moment, off to the kitchen, still have some milk in the fridge... :)

Edited by zil
the > they

14 minutes ago, zil said:

try mixing a little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice into your batter before you dip the bread - yuuuuummmmmm.

That actually sounds pretty good.  I'll have to try that.

41 minutes ago, zil said:

My original post is breaking bread into small pieces (like the do for the sacrament), dropping those pieces into a glass of milk, and then eating them, with a spoon, like you d

We always had it in a bowl, but yeah, you are basically making cereal out of a slice or two of bread.

43 minutes ago, zil said:

Your description of french toast sounds like typical french toast.  That is NOT what my OP was about.  Though I love french toast - try mixing a little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice into your batter before you dip the bread - yuuuuummmmmm.

28 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

That actually sounds pretty good.  I'll have to try that.

Made this over the weekend... it was SUPER DELISH!

Bailey's French Toast:

1/4 c. Bailey's Coffee Creamer
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Whip and dip bread in it and pan-fry.

Topping:

1/2 c heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp Bailey's Coffee Creamer

Whip to make frosting-like consistency and put a dollop on top of the Toast.  Add blueberries or strawberries or chocolate syrup, etc.

My Kentucky, non-member (while growing up) grandma ate white bread broken in pieces in a glass of milk. She also put crackers in coffee sometimes, same way. We had no ties to Mormons growing up. I think it came from being poor. My mom remembers eating syrup bread (like peanut butter sandwiches but with molasses or syrup and bread only), 

When I have a real, knock you to your knees upset stomach I eat saltines in whole milk (or half-n-half). Must needs be salted soda crackers. Place a bunch of crackers, whole in a bowl, pour milk on them, then break them up with a spoon as your eat them.

Since I no longer eat plain white rice, I no longer eat cold white rice with milk, sugar and cinnamon. That used to be my preferred breakfast when I was in school. Elementary through High School. When berries are in season, I pour chocolate milk over cold steamed rice and what ever fresh berries we had at the time. All fresh fruit is made even better when covered with chocolate!!

Also, the only way I can eat Cream of Tomato soup is when it is made with 1/2 water and 1/2 milk. Put no more than two squares of saltines in a bowl, coarsely broken up. Pour a bit of the soup over them and eat quickly before the crackers get soggy. I have an old, thick ceramic 2 Cup pitcher that I put the soup in to pour from. Because the pitcher is nukable, I nuke the soup in it. Stays much hotter that way.

I much prefer Oyster Crackers to squared saltines. They don't get soggy as fast, and I prefer Tomato Bisque. Love the small chunks of tomatoes.

Edited by Iggy

7 minutes ago, Iggy said:

When I have a real, knock you to your knees upset stomach I eat saltines in whole milk (or half-n-half). Must needs be salted soda crackers. Place a bunch of crackers, whole in a bowl, pour milk on them, then break them up with a spoon as your eat them.

I do this too!  But instead of milk, I use ginger beer.

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I do this too!  But instead of milk, I use ginger beer.

Never heard of ginger beer. When I am sick I drink room temp ginger ale. Used to drink 7UP, but it isn't the same stuff from my childhood.