There are literally thousands of books that could fill this role.

They cover a myriad of subjects and genres, hundreds of styles.

If it were me, and I were a newly baptized woman, I think I'd find something written by a General Relief Society president/counselor. I'd look for something that applied to my stage of life (as a grandfather, my needs don't match exactly those of my sons, 'twould seem the same for women).

And, for the near term, I think I'd stay away from doctrinal treatises, and focus more on how to live as a Saint of God.

No, I don't have any specific suggestions. But I do think it would be wise to read the scriptures for at least half hour every day. Change among the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and swirl in generous strings of the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price. The Book of Mormon you can read cover to cover, but the others, I'd read more-or-less at random.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Have you read any church history? My Heritage or Truth Restored are good starting places.

You could pick up one of the old Teachings of Presidents of the Church manuals. Or you could pick up an institute manual to read alongside a particular book of scripture. I’m a big fan of the Scripture Study manual. I think it’s awesome. Here’s a link: https://www.lds.org/manual/scripture-study-the-power-of-the-word-teacher-manual?lang=eng

Believing Christ by Stephen Robinson is a good one.

I’m a big fan of Christ and the New Covenant by Jeffrey R. Holland. It’s a great one to read alongside the Book of Mormon. Really you can’t go wrong with any of his books. Neal A. Maxwell is another. Any of his books are great. Last one I read by him was Things As They Really Are. It was really fantastic.

If you’d like a book on the atonement, Tad R. Callister’s book The Infinite Atonement is great. I know there are many others out there as well.

Hearing the Voice of the Lord by Gerald Lund is great for learning how to hear the Holy Ghost. Another would be Increase in Learning by David A. Bednar.

If you’d like temple prep stuff, I’m sure there are some manuals for that. The Holy Temple by Boyd K. Packer is also a good one for that.

It depends on what you're looking for.

HISTORY: As Connie Said, Our Heritage or Truth Restored.

DOCTRINE: Jesus the Christ, A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, Articles of Faith, Answers to Gospel Questions.

GENERAL PRINCIPLES: You can download an app that has all the Sunday School manuals for the past dozen years or so.  They are not written like a manual.  They are written to be read straight through if you choose.  Lots of inspiring stories as well as the gospel lessons from such stories.

What are you interested in?

Thanks for all the replies

I was looking forsomething which isn't too heavy Doctrine wise, like before I joined the Church I used to read alot of Philip Yancy and what not.  

As I'm in the UK I've been told that that is the nearest place to buy lds books. I can buy online but like to have a read through

So when the weather gets abit better I'm going to go for a walk round the grounds of the Temple and to the book store, see if I can get over my aversion to going inside the temple too.  

1 minute ago, An Investigator said:

So when the weather gets a bit better I'm going to go for a walk round the grounds of the Temple and to the book store, see if I can get over my aversion to going inside the temple too.  

That will help a lot.

Lehi

6 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

I was looking forsomething which isn't too heavy Doctrine wise, like before I joined the Church I used to read alot of Philip Yancy and what not.  

You may want to try some books by John Bytheway. They usually make for light reading, i find. He has a great sense of humor, and yet he often offers profound insights as well. I think his writing might be a good fit for you.

13 minutes ago, Connie said:

You may want to try some books by John Bytheway. They usually make for light reading, i find. He has a great sense of humor, and yet he often offers profound insights as well. I think his writing might be a good fit for you.

That's exactly what I'm looking for.. Ive just ordered Lifestyles of the great and spacious off amazon, thanks so much x

8 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

That's exactly what I'm looking for.. Ive just ordered Lifestyles of the great and spacious off amazon, thanks so much x

Wunderbar! I haven't read that one yet. I'd love to hear what you think when you've finished.

• 1 month later...