Aish HaTorah

3 hours ago, tesuji said:

That movie The Devil's Arithmetic looks good. Does it have scenes of awful things happening, though? I have seen too many awful things already in movies about Nazis and Jews. I think The Pianist was the movie where I decided I'd seen too much and didn't want to watch any more of those movies. I've still never seen Schindler's List for this reason.

To be clear, I think everyone should absolutely know what happened, including seeing some of the great movies on the subject. I've just learned too much and don't want to see any more.

Crimes and Misdemeanors is one of my favorite movies

Yeah.  It isn't adult rated, I don't believe, but it isn't a movie for anyone who doesn't want to see that brand of "awful."  Great movie.  Not easy to watch.  The book, of course, is better (or worse, as the case may be).

A great recipe for you to try if you'd like something that is a good representative of Israeli culture as well as Pesach (Passover) follows:

Charoset    חֲרֽוֹסֶת

(It comes from the word cheres, meaning clay.  It looks a lot worse than it tastes.  This is by design.  It is designed to look like mortar.  There are many, many variations, but the one below is my family's favorite.  It is from a Sephardic recipe.  Not quite the same as the Ashkenazi version, but close enough.  Typically you eat it for Pesach on matzo crackers.)

8 ounces pitted dates, finely chopped

8 ounces raisins, golden or dark

2 apples, peeled, cored and grated (typically I do not peel them...just a personal preference, and I usually combine one green apple with one red apple.  Any is ok.)

1/2 cup finely chopped almonds or walnuts

Wine (I know you do not drink alcohol, so grape juice is more than ok for a substitute!) or orange juice

Using a sharp knife or a grinder, cut up the fruit very finely or grind it.  Moisten the mixture with the wine or juice until moist.  More or less to taste.  Add nuts and mix thoroughly.  Makes approximately 3 1/2 cups.  It will generally keep for several weeks when refrigerated.

1 minute ago, Aish HaTorah said:

A great recipe for you to try if you'd like something that is a good representative of Israeli culture as well as Pesach (Passover) follows:

Charoset    חֲרֽוֹסֶת

(It comes from the word cheres, meaning clay.  It looks a lot worse than it tastes.  This is by design.  It is designed to look like mortar.  There are many, many variations, but the one below is my family's favorite.  It is from a Sephardic recipe.  Not quite the same as the Ashkenazi version, but close enough.  Typically you eat it for Pesach on matzo crackers.)

8 ounces pitted dates, finely chopped

8 ounces raisins, golden or dark

2 apples, peeled, cored and grated (typically I do not peel them...just a personal preference, and I usually combine one green apple with one red apple.  Any is ok.)

1/2 cup finely chopped almonds or walnuts

Wine (I know you do not drink alcohol, so grape juice is more than ok for a substitute!) or orange juice

Using a sharp knife or a grinder, cut up the fruit very finely or grind it.  Moisten the mixture with the wine or juice until moist.  More or less to taste.  Add nuts and mix thoroughly.  Makes approximately 3 1/2 cups.  It will generally keep for several weeks when refrigerated.

Have you done it with grape juice to know that it's pretty much the same?  It actually sounds kind of good and something I might try.

6 minutes ago, pam said:

Have you done it with grape juice to know that it's pretty much the same?  It actually sounds kind of good and something I might try.

I have made it with grape juice.  We actually prefer it with grape juice over wine.  Especially (but certainly doesn't have to be) the Kedem brand of grape juice if you can find it.  They usually have it in the Kosher section of grocery stores (Albertson's or Smith's, etc.).  It is a bit more costly, but worth it.  The juice is excellent!

It is a very healthy recipe (unless you are diabetic or allergic to nuts!) and delicious.

Edited by Aish HaTorah

Just now, Aish HaTorah said:

I have made it with grape juice.  We actually prefer it with grape juice over wine.  Especially (but certainly doesn't have to be) the Kedem brand of grape juice if you can find it.  They usually have it in the Kosher section of grocery stores (Albertson's or Smith's, etc.).  It is a bit more costly, but worth it.  The juice is excellent!

I'll have to look at Smith's next time I'm there.  Albertson's all went out of business here in Utah.

• 3 weeks later...