Disfellowshipment and future callings

darxen

I was just recently disfellowshipped and everyone, including my Bishop, does not know the answer to this question.

Does being disfellowshipped preclude you from future callings after all blessings have been restored?

I heard a story once of a man that was called to be a bishop but could not serve because he had a history of being disfellowshipped. Not sure if it is true or not. 

I cannot answer your question, because I don't know. Here are two things I do know:

1. Many good, decent, righteous men who will rise in the first resurrection and gain eternal life will never hold a leadership calling such as bishop.
  2. If I had been disfellowshipped, my primary -- probably only -- Church-related concern would be to restore my full fellowship with the Saints. Whether I may or may not be allowed to serve as bishop in a future day would not even be on the docket.

I have never been disfellowshipped or put on probation, yet I have never served as bishop or even a quorum president or group leader (except as a deacon). I have served as a counselor in elders quorum presidencies and as an assistant in a high priest group leadership. These are the "highest" ecclesiastical callings I have ever received, or expect ever to receive. It appears that I'm just not the leadership type. But my hope in Christ is strong. I happily sustain the great and good men who are called to be my bishop and other leaders, and I spend -- let's see, I would say, oh, more or less -- zero time worrying about what positions of leadership I might be called to, or whether I might ever possibly be the bishop. I would accept such a call, of course; but just between us, I rather enjoy spending my Sundays at home with my family and not having to work an extra 30-to-40-hour-per-week job on top of my regular employment, with a third of the ward resenting my boorish ways and lack of decent bedside manner.

EDIT: P.S. I am a middle-aged man. Ignore my avatar. It is a shameless lie.

Edited by Vort

Many years ago, in another stake and state, I am aware of an ex-communicated bishop who, about 30 years later, was called to be assistant high priest group leader. I believe that in between when he was excommunicated and when he became Assistant HPGL he also served as a home teacher and had various assignments over several years in the family history centre. I think he may have had more than this but I don't know for sure. 

10 hours ago, darxen said:

I was just recently disfellowshipped and everyone, including my Bishop, does not know the answer to this question.

Does being disfellowshipped preclude you from future callings after all blessings have been restored?

I heard a story once of a man that was called to be a bishop but could not serve because he had a history of being disfellowshipped. Not sure if it is true or not. 

I'd discount the story. I know a few people who've been disfellowshiped and who later served in responsible positions. One later went on to be excommunicated, but while he was serving, his ministry was unremarkable, doctrinally, or any other negative way.

We read in Alma of a missionary who should have been excommunicated for either fornication or apostasy (the latter being poetically labeled as the former), but his father/prophet re-instated him.

What current policy is, I do not know, but that's my opinion, and I'm stuck with it until further light and knowledge arise.

Lehi

10 hours ago, darxen said:

I would also discount the story.  I personally have never known of an instance where the First Presidency ever explained WHY they rejected a bishop candidate.  They just say "no".  And that's it.  We have no idea why.  One thing I can say is that there is nothing Church-wide that is known to bishops or stake presidents that says so.  So, if it is a policy, then it is only known to the First Presidency -- and that is why we couldn't answer it for certain.

Also, don't feel like having certain callings are going to be the end-all and be-all of your Church life.  We all serve where the Lord needs us.  I'll tell you an anecdote that perfectly describes the proper attitude with leadership roles in the Church (the way I see it).  A friend of mine was really excited with some news he wanted to share.  But I liked playing with his excitement.  So...

Him: "Hey, Carb, guess what?"

Me:  "Good or bad?"

Him: "The best!"

Me:  "You won a trip to Hawaii."

Him: "No.  Better than that."

Me: "You won the Nobel Prize."

Me:  "You won the lottery."

Me:  "You got released from the bishopric."

Him: "...No..." <excitement leaking out of him>

Laughter...

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, darxen said:

Here is a response given by askgramps.org

http://askgramps.org/long-disciplinary-actions-stay-church-record/

"While church discipline is designed to help an individual repent, it is also in place “to protect the innocent, and safeguard the Church’s purity, integrity, and good name.” Certain sins that can directly harm a local ward, including members (such as embezzlement or predatory conduct), receive a permanent annotation that remains even after blessings are reinstated. This annotation is automatically permanent unless the First Presidency of the Church authorizes its removal. As a result of this permanent annotation, certain potential callings may no longer be available to specific individuals in the future, for example: Primary, Boy Scouts, Finance Clerk, Bishop, etc."

Edited by NeedleinA

On 4/26/2016 at 8:38 PM, darxen said:

I can't think of any reason or any rule of why merely having been disfellowshipped and then being restored would put an automatic barrier to any calling in itself. IMO, which isn't too knowledgeable on this subject. I can see where such a thing might be slower in coming... but not something that would be barred forever more.