Captain America or Iron Man?

tesuji

There's also the part where Captain America has this discussion, in the first Avengers movie:

Black Widow:"Are you sure you want to do that? They're prettymuch gods."

Cap: "There's only one God, ma'am.  And I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that."

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.comicbook.com%2Fwp

That panel sends a shiver down my spine, and why I LOVE Captain America.

Are we voting for which character we like best, or which one we find more entertaining? If the former, Captain America, no doubt. If the latter, Iron Man, hands down.

I remember when Sister Vort finally roped me into watching Iron Man five or six (maybe more) years ago. I rolled my eyes at the very idea of watching a comic book movie. By the time the credits had rolled and Nick Fury had made his end-of-movie stinger entrance, I was sold.

3 minutes ago, unixknight said:

There's also the part where Captain America has this discussion, in the first Avengers movie:

Black Widow:"Are you sure you want to do that? They're prettymuch gods."

Cap: "There's only one God, ma'am.  And I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that."

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.comicbook.com%2Fwp

That panel sends a shiver down my spine, and why I LOVE Captain America.

That's an awesome quote in that comic panel. I've never read the comics, just seen the movies, so I didn't realize he was such a great guy.

1 minute ago, Vort said:

Are we voting for which character we like best, or which one we find more entertaining? If the former, Captain America, no doubt. If the latter, Iron Man, hands down.

I remember when Sister Vort finally roped me into watching Iron Man five or six (maybe more) years ago. I rolled my eyes at the very idea of watching a comic book movie. By the time the credits had rolled and Nick Fury had made his end-of-movie stinger entrance, I was sold.

Yeah, I went to the movie for the action escapism and ended up loving it.

I really like what Marvel's doing - we need heroes in our culture, especially boys do, nowadays.

1 hour ago, tesuji said:

Yeah, I stopped watching his movies after he acts like a spoiled 7 year old in Iron Man 2

I love Tony Stark's character in all the Iron Man movies.  You see a complete person, not a cardboard box... you see his strengths and weaknesses and how he tries to overcome them.  You see his character progress from the boy genius without a clear path ahead of him in Iron Man 1, followed by a strong person emerge from being a POW who started to believe he is invincible and got too big for his bootstraps in Iron Man 2, who was taken down a notch by the life lessons of Cap' eventually leading to him learning to work as a team and eventually sacrificing himself in The Avengers then to a boat load of insecurities and the start of a healing process thrown at him by a little boy in Iron Man 3....

I have no problem with my sons hailing him as one of their superheroes.  They like Iron Man better than Captain America because they think Iron Man can beat the Captain on a one-on-one grudge match.  Which is making Civil War a highly anticipated movie in my house.  Of course, they think Ip Man can beat Iron Man.  but Chuck Norris is going to beat Ip Man, which doesn't matter because Yoda can beat all of them. 

11 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I love Tony Stark's character in all the Iron Man movies.  You see a complete person, not a cardboard box... you see his strengths and weaknesses and how he tries to overcome them.  You see his character progress from the boy genius without a clear path ahead of him in Iron Man 1, followed by a strong person emerge from being a POW who started to believe he is invincible and got too big for his bootstraps in Iron Man 2, who was taken down a notch by the life lessons of Cap' eventually leading to him learning to work as a team and eventually sacrificing himself in The Avengers then to a boat load of insecurities and the start of a healing process thrown at him by a little boy in Iron Man 3....

I have no problem with my sons hailing him as one of their superheroes.  They like Iron Man better than Captain America because they think Iron Man can beat the Captain on a one-on-one grudge match.  Which is making Civil War a highly anticipated movie in my house.  Of course, they think Ip Man can beat Iron Man.  but Chuck Norris is going to beat Ip Man, which doesn't matter because Yoda can beat all of them. 

I'm glad to hear the other side. Maybe I'll have to reconsider Iron Man

Edited by tesuji

I don't want them to fight! I love Cap'n and his moral character. He's good because he wants to be good. I love Iron Man because you see a flawed man try to choose good/right (and see some of his failings and improvement). i love Tony's ego (it's just fun!) and Iron Man just looks dang cool.

I can't choose. I'm disappointed so far in the trailers--it makes it look like Cap'n will choose friendship in spite of his friend doing bad things ("he's not really bad, deep inside where it counts--forget his actions and choices"). But, they'll still get my ticket money as well as popcorn and soda money....

11 minutes ago, beefche said:

I don't want them to fight! I love Cap'n and his moral character. He's good because he wants to be good. I love Iron Man because you see a flawed man try to choose good/right (and see some of his failings and improvement). i love Tony's ego (it's just fun!) and Iron Man just looks dang cool.

I can't choose. I'm disappointed so far in the trailers--it makes it look like Cap'n will choose friendship in spite of his friend doing bad things ("he's not really bad, deep inside where it counts--forget his actions and choices"). But, they'll still get my ticket money as well as popcorn and soda money....

We saw Buckey in Winter Soldier as being chemically manipulated for decades to do the bidding of Hydra.  So yes, his actions and choices were not his own.

We also saw in Winter Soldier Tony Stark's PTSD leading him to a kind of fearfulness that led him to unleash Ultron to gain some semblance of control.

In the comic, Civil War was a conflict between Cap and Stark/Shield over Superhero Registration.  Cap has an ingrained distrust of the government and Shield and he lumps Hydra in with them (as they managed to control the govt and Shield) in the abuse of Buckey.  I am almost certain they're going to use this story arc using Stark's PTSD to align him with Shield when he has always had a distrust of Fury.

In any case, I very much doubt that the Civil War will be waged simply over Cap's unshakeable friendship with Buckey.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

We saw Buckey in Winter Soldier as being chemically manipulated for decades to do the bidding of Hydra.  So yes, his actions and choices were not his own.

We also saw in Winter Soldier Tony Stark's PTSD leading him to a kind of fearfulness that led him to unleash Ultron to gain some semblance of control.

In the comic, Civil War was a conflict between Cap and Stark/Shield over Superhero Registration.  Cap has an ingrained distrust of the government and Shield and he lumps Hydra in with them (as they managed to control the govt and Shield) in the abuse of Buckey.  I am almost certain they're going to use this story arc using Stark's PTSD to align him with Shield when he has always had a distrust of Fury.

In any case, I very much doubt that the Civil War will be waged simply over Cap's unshakeable friendship with Buckey.

The trailers sorta tell the whole story.  It is about superheroes being reigned in by the government. But the Baron will be revealed as pulling the strings.  Some parts of this will be a rehash of Winter Soldier, just in a more formal and widespread manner.

I'm interested in seeing how they got so many big name superheroes properly introduced into a single film -- let alone explore why each of them chose the sides that they did.  Without proper introductions, I'm sure the non-comic fan will be lost.

But I'm afraid it will boil down to the same thing that all hero-vs-hero battles do.  They discover a worse threat in the middle of the fight and realize that they must join forces again to defeat it.  No, that was not unique to just Batman vs. Superman.  It's typical of all hero-vs-hero fights in comics (Injustice Gods excepted).