God protects His temples

pam

Guest MormonGator

We need to be very careful about saying "God protects x or y". If a plane carrying 200 goes down and one person survives we say "Yay! God blessed this person!" And we forget that maybe seven of the people who died were innocent children. Did God not protect them? Same with a natural disaster. 

I'm not saying God won't protect His temples, for the record. 

On 8/27/2017 at 11:39 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

I'm bumping this, because with the hurricane flooding in Houston it looks like we're about to see how well this analysis holds up. 

Did you see the photo I posted here:

The baptismal font is below water now.  But only a few inches of water on the first floor -- in a record setting event.  Pretty good.

Edited by Guest

Carb, you rock.  My former-LDS Facebook buddy is reminiscing about how he was taught as a Deacon that a temple wouldn't even be harmed if someone dropped a nuclear bomb on it.  I'm able to cut-and-paste your rational stuff about water tables and planning.  Rational stuff helps us look, well, rational.

On 5/1/2016 at 1:44 PM, Carborendum said:

How can you destroy a parcel of earth?  

I don't know, but here's one king's attempt to punish a river:

And then when the Strait was now bridged, there came a great storm and broke down all that work and ended it. And when Xerxes learnt it he held it to be a monstrous thing, and be ordered three hundred strokes of the lash to be laid upon the Hellespont, and a pair of fetters to be let down into the water. . . . Now he bade them as they scourged the Strait to say words barbarous and presumptuous. ' 0 thou bitter water, thy lord lays this punishment upon thee for that thou didst do him hurt albeit he bad done no hurt to thee. And King Xerxes shall go over thee whether thou wilt or not. No man doeth 'honour to thee with sacrifice, and it is seen now that this is right, for thou art a crafty, briny river.'

6 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Isn't that how those normally work?

I know it's been a while since you've been to church or the temple.  But normally the font SURROUNDS the water, not the other way around.

As of yesterday, I saw water levels go below elevation 125 near the freeway just a few miles from the temple.  That is the same elevation as the temple.  I believe that means the streets around the temple are also drained.

Further downstream, my office is at elevation 100 or so.  It was pretty dry.  But it is on the other side of town.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 7:11 PM, person0 said:

A friend of my wife's posted a picture showing how the flooding is above the temple threshold.  It will likely require major cleaning, possible repairs, and then re-dedication (according to him).

Uh, regardless of what the rules say, if God says it was baptized deep enough, I don't think it's a good idea to try to correct Him on the issue.