Worth a read

NightSG

13 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I'm not reading a link with rough language, but if it's what I'm picking up here, I just have this question: How does diminishing women help win any kind of war on men?

It's a video, not an article, but I get your point. And the language is no more crude than you'd hear in most high school hallways, among the teachers.

No one is "diminishing women". The fact is that women have taken more power than is good for society, and noting the truth of the situation is the only way to begin to address the problem.

Politicians are using women to cement their power. Women don't know this, or don't recognize it. I'd hope that, shown the facts, most would feel used, abused, and would turn to a legitimate relationship with men.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

9 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I'm not reading a link with rough language, but if it's what I'm picking up here, I just have this question: How does diminishing women help win any kind of war on men?

Given that the War of Men is generally considered a response to the Millennial long War on Women.... You know things like treating women as property,  denying them a voice, treating them a spoils of war, which is just some of the more grievous offensives that only recently (historically speaking) have the first world countries passed laws trying to fix... Your question can therefore rightly go both ways... how does diminishing men help win any kind of war on women?   The answer to both is that it simply doesn't... but it is clear that both individual members of both genders are willing to go on the attack and diminish the other...    And it is simply not a Christian thing no matter who does it.

14 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

The divorce rate is no where as bad as people think. In Canada it is forty percent but differs greatly by group. If you are female. Have a university degree, have a full time job, marry for the first time once you have finished the degree and work full time, the divorce rate is 26%. Not bad! Also the more schooling you have, the less likely you are to divorce. It is the poor and uneducated who increase the divorce stats.

26% is not bad?  Slightly less than 3/4 chance of any given marriage succeeding?

Compare to Chile, with an overall 3% divorce rate.  Maybe we should be checking into what they're doing different.  (Part of it seems to be an average age of 34 at first marriage, but I suspect a lot more has to do with home life and finances.)

6 minutes ago, NightSG said:

26% is not bad?  Slightly less than 3/4 chance of any given marriage succeeding?

You need to take such numbers with a grain of salt....

Counting the marriages that my wife and my mother-in-law have had... there a total of 5 marriages of which 4 ended in divorces....  With those numbers you get a 20 Percent chance of a marriage working.... and Frankly that is horrible odds...

However the person you marry very much matters...  My wife has had one marriage and it is still going strong...  Her success rate is 100%  My mother-in-law has has four marriages and four divorces... her success rate is 0%  The combination of the two is horrible but does not really show the true picture

20 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Counting the marriages that my wife and my mother-in-law have had... there a total of 5 marriages of which 4 ended in divorces....  With those numbers you get a 20 Percent chance of a marriage working.... and Frankly that is horrible odds...

However the person you marry very much matters...  My wife has had one marriage and it is still going strong...  Her success rate is 100%  My mother-in-law has has four marriages and four divorces... her success rate is 0%  The combination of the two is horrible but does not really show the true picture

People who study divorce find the trend you mention. Some people marry and divorce often, Larry king, Elizabeth Taylor those people screw up the statistics. Bad things happen to good people. I know people that I have known for a long time, good people and sometimes their spouse does bad things. Sometimes a divorce is not your fault. 

40 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:
20 hours ago, estradling75 said:

People who study divorce find the trend you mention. Some people marry and divorce often, Larry king, Elizabeth Taylor those people screw up the statistics. Bad things happen to good people. I know people that I have known for a long time, good people and sometimes their spouse does bad things. Sometimes a divorce is not your fault. 

No one should take solace in this, however: the divorce rate is still, far and away, too high.

At worst, it shouldn't be 10%, and probably not 5.

No, not all divorces are "your fault". Our ex-daughter-in-law simply lost her mind (or her spirit, or something), and destroyed both our son and grandchildren and herself. But she's "happy" now, an (almost?) alcoholic (weekend binger), and at least suspected of "recreational" drug use. This is just one example of someone's erroneous expectations of marriage.

Marriage, even to the "right person", doesn't make one happy, or anything else. Women seem particularly susceptible to this fantasy. When they (in general, no one in particular) discover that it is they, not their husbands, who are responsible for their happiness (or lack of it), the deception overwhelms them. That's why women initiate more than 70% of divorces in USA.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

2 hours ago, LeSellers said:

Marriage, even to the "right person", doesn't make one happy, or anything else. Women seem particularly susceptible to this fantasy. When they (in general, no one in particular) discover that it is they, not their husbands, who are responsible for their happiness (or lack of it), the deception overwhelms them. That's why women initiate more than 70% of divorces in USA.

Personal experience has been that women are more likely to marry thinking they can "fix" the man, or expecting him to change on his own.  Divorce (or broken engagements) then result from the realization that it doesn't work that way.

Guest LiterateParakeet
3 hours ago, LeSellers said:

That's why women initiate more than 70% of divorces in USA.

Just curious, do you have some source to back that up or is it just your opinion.

Keep in mind, there are many reasons the woman might file. In my experience, men are the more likely ones to be abusive or have affairs thus leading to women filing for divorce. I'm not say that some women (and men) don't end their marriages for other reasons, even as you stated...simply that without further facts I don't accept that is THE reason. 

19 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Just curious, do you have some source to back that up or is it just your opinion.

The stats are clear: In USA, it's the women who file, and it is not always, nor even frequently, for abuse, etc. (Although it may be listed as a cause: women often add spurious charges like this to affect child custody and other things they want from the man.)

You can search YouTube for Stefan Molyneux's series on divorce. He is an atheist and has no respect for anything religious except its positive effects on violence and, for LDSs, our higher-than-average birth rates. His language is not what you'd hear in Conference, but no worse than a high school teacher's lounge. If you don't want to hear him speaking, look at his references below the video and search them. He does the research, and it's thorough.

Christina Hoff Summers, a staunch progressive and self-proclaimed feminist, also has several books on subjects that affect the issue, especially its evil outcomes for men.

Lehi

Guest LiterateParakeet

Thanks but I'm not interested enough in the topic to watch a youtube series or read a book (my must read list is overflowing as it is). So I did a Google search and found that you are correct 69% of divorces are initiated by women.

So I did a little more digging to find out why.  Some women interviewed who sought divorce listed infidelity, abuse, emotional immaturity, financial issues, alcohol and drug abuse....and a few more.   My source:

http://www.austin-institute.org/research/divorce-in-america/

Fascinating. Thanks.

Edited by LiterateParakeet
Typos

5 hours ago, zomarah said:

I attend with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My beliefs are in the Gospel of Jesus Christ including those things revealed through Joseph Smith and other prophets.

Sounds like Baha'i, but I don't know much about it beyond their acceptance of the work of Joseph Smith. Too bad they don't accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Lehi