The no topic, topic, thread...

1 minute ago, Sunday21 said:

It is ant season here. I went to the basement to review my arsenal.

Corn meal.  They can't digest it.  They'll carry it down into their nest and feed the rest and they'll all die.  It can take more than one dose (there can be a lot of them underground), but it works!

6 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

It is ant season here. I went to the basement to review my arsenal. Most of my potions worked to some extent but one was really disappointing. I took it down from the shelf to record the name before chucking it out...I got a good look at the label..

carpet cleaner!

Terro is what worked on the little sugar ants we had:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4GACB8/

It is sugar water with borax

There are also protein loving ants. You need something else for those I think.

7 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

It is ant season here...

23 minutes ago, tesuji said:

There are also protein loving ants. You need something else for those I think.

We just use anteaters at our house for those.

qqqqqqq.jpg

Edited by NeedleinA

I use cornmeal because I had dogs (assume people with kids would have similar concerns), and didn't want to use poison where it might impact them, and since it worked, I still use it.  (The dogs also ate grass, which is why I didn't use weed killer in the back yard while they were alive.)

I kinda like the ant-eater idea, but I think you'd have to let him roam the neighborhood to get enough ants, and the neighbors might freak out a little. :)

Edited by zil

3 hours ago, zil said:

I use cornmeal because I had dogs (assume people with kids would have similar concerns), and didn't want to use poison where it might impact them, and since it worked, I still use it.  (The dogs also ate grass, which is why I didn't use weed killer in the back yard while they were alive.)

I kinda like the ant-eater idea, but I think you'd have to let him roam the neighborhood to get enough ants, and the neighbors might freak out a little. :)

The cornmeal didn't work for us. Maybe because we had tiny sugar ants.

The Terro poison can be put up on a kitchen counter, under a locked sink door etc. I'm not sure how toxic that amount of borax would be, I'd have to look it up. But kids might definitely want to drink it, it it's just sugar water, as I suspect.

If they are sugar ants, I used bleach water to get rid of them. I found them in the kitchen, coming in through an outlet on the wall facing outside. I cleaned the counter and wall very well, then every night sprayed the counter and wall with a bleach water mixture. It took about 3 days or so but it got rid of them. The key, I found, was the clean, clean, clean. Made sure any spills of liquid or food were cleaned immediately, no dishes in the sink ever and I would randomly spray the bleach water whenever I thought of it. 

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:34 PM, Aish HaTorah said:

Pineapple

What did Juliet ever see in Shawn anyway.  That other guy "Shawn 2.0" was a much better catch.

On 5/8/2016 at 4:43 AM, NeedleinA said:

qqqqqqq.jpg

I used to come home from work and announce "Daddy's home".  The kids would then gang rush me.

Yesterday I came home from work and announced "Come At Me, Bro!"  The kids gang rushed me.

I reached the pinnacle of cool dad about 2 or 3 years ago, right after cheap bluetooth speakers came out.  I got one, and left it on.  When I came home from work, I stood outside the front door and connected to the speaker with my ipod, and then played cool "cool person in da house" music.  (Here's an example - try not to swoon at the sheer epic coolness.)  Imagine sitting in a quiet living room doing homework or something, when dad's theme song music goes off to announce his arrival. 

(Yes, that means I've been declining in coolness ever since.) 

Edited by NeuroTypical

6 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I reached the pinnacle of cool dad about 2 or 3 years ago, right after cheap bluetooth speakers came out.  I got one, and left it on.  When I came home from work, I stood outside the front door and connected to the speaker with my ipod, and then played cool "cool person in da house" music.  (Here's an example - try not to swoon at the sheer epic coolness.)  Imagine sitting in a quiet living room doing homework or something, when dad's theme song music goes off to announce his arrival. 

(Yes, that means I've been declining in coolness ever since.) 

Does this mean you are a "cool" Broney? 

12 hours ago, Backroads said:

I'm glad I also thought this before SpongeBob 

I'm not familiar with that reference.  What does SpongeBob have to do with Psych?

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:19 AM, Carborendum said:

I'm not familiar with that reference.  What does SpongeBob have to do with Psych?

Everyone else on this thread thought of SpongeBob upon seeing Pineapple.

I thought of Psych. So did you.

5 minutes ago, Backroads said:

Everyone else on this thread thought of SpongeBob upon seeing Pineapple.

I thought of Psych. So did you.

Ah.  I see.  I just don't watch SpongeBob.  so...

I didn't understand what Needle was getting at even when he sort of explained it.  That's how little I know of SpongeBob.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Ah.  I see.  I just don't watch SpongeBob.  so...

I didn't understand what Needle was getting at even when he sort of explained it.  That's how little I know of SpongeBob.

I've seen a few episodes, but it strikes me as silly.

On the other hand, Psych is my go-to folding laundry/marking papers/falling asleep to tv show.

And I'm so good at spotting pineapples.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I just don't watch SpongeBob.

1 hour ago, Backroads said:

but it strikes me as silly.

Thanks you two... nothing to see here EXCEPT hurt feelings!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_nm51dyKhIP1upxwm8o1_400.gif

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest Godless
49 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Oh dear, in the novel I am reading the hero and the heroine get together but on the wedding night the hero takes off to dally with his best male friend. Did not see that coming. Modern twist.

It actually sounds a lot like some of the (very) early versions of the King Arthur legend, which are known to portray Arthur and Lancelot as lovers.