Zen Mormon

jasoncomely

Hi everyone,

I'm Jason and I have many hobbies and interests. I'm a self-employed conceptual designer and a faithful LDS member. Along with daily scripture study, I also practice Zazen and read koans. I recently made a website for Mormon Koans, which I may link to in the future.

I'm not here to promote anything but the Restored Gospel though, and to learn from others.

Thanks for reading!

I love Zen and I'm fascinated by koans. Although I'm too lazy so far to do zazen.

General Bhuddist concepts like mindfulness and letting things be have been greatly helpful to my mental health.

Our LDS gospel embrace all truths. I would personally like to see more of the practical concepts from Bhuddism become official parts of our religion. President Uchtdorf has been trying! :D

Signed, Brother Monkey Mind

Edited by tesuji

@tesuji So you picked up on the "Buddhist" references in Uctdorf's talks too? I was beginning to think it was my imagination :)

@NightSG I think you have the Buddha mixed up with Budai, the future buddha: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai. Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha most people think of) was likely very lean. He only ate one meal a day, before noon.Later in his life he had a digestive disorder which made eating even one meal uncomfortable.

Also, Buddha lived until 80 years of age, and was highly active (doing good for others). This would also suggest he was fit.

@MormonGator I have't tried yoga yet, although I've been eyeing it lately. 

1 hour ago, jasoncomely said:

@NightSG I think you have the Buddha mixed up with Budai, the future buddha: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai. Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha most people think of) was likely very lean. He only ate one meal a day, before noon.Later in his life he had a digestive disorder which made eating even one meal uncomfortable.

Depends largely on the content of the single meal and the rest of a person's daily activity.  I often eat that way when my schedule is screwed up, and tend to gain weight doing it.

3 hours ago, jasoncomely said:

@tesuji So you picked up on the "Buddhist" references in Uctdorf's talks too? I was beginning to think it was my imagination :)

It would be interesting to know where he got the ideas, if it was specifically from Buddhism.

I think it's more a matter of universally wise counsel to help counterbalance the crazy Western 21st century rat race. Or perhaps just German folk wisdom that we in the New World have kind of forgotten...

Edited by tesuji

1 hour ago, jasoncomely said:

@NightSG That's a remarkable feat if you can eat one meal before noon, be active all day and still gain weight

It was more common when I worked night shift, but even now I sometimes hit the Chinese buffet at 11:30AM and fill up to the point where I'm not hungry again before bedtime.

• 3 months later...

I live near a Zen monastery, I love to attend weekend retreats and fall down the stairs. Okay, falling down the stairs wasn't so enjoyable but I learned something from it.  

I do love the practical application of Zen alongside Christianity, when I remember to actually use it. Your site sounds like a wonderful place and I would love to visit it. 

Hi Amym73,

Sounds amazing where you live :)

I decided to take the site down after Elder Ballard visited our area and gave a talk. He warned that our congregation would soon have a problem with false doctrines, and to keep the gospel simple. 

So I decided to stay away from creative or potentially controversial applications of the gosepl, lest I be perceived as a false prophet or troublemaker.

I still meditate daily etc. I just keep it to myself now.

P.S. Elder Ballard gave a great talk and left no question in my mind that he is an Apostle of the Lord. It was a much needed experience because my faith had been waning a bit.

Edited by jasoncomely

14 hours ago, jasoncomely said:

Oops, I broke the reply and deleted your words, things are harder from my phone... :)

I think it's wonderful that you found a simple way to help bolster your faith again. Zen really is simple and amazing! 

And yes I am very fortunate to have access to a Zen monastery, I am very thankful for the reminder and will plan a trip for some recharging and renewal soon. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2016 at 7:04 PM, jasoncomely said:

Hi everyone,

I'm Jason and I have many hobbies and interests. I'm a self-employed conceptual designer and a faithful LDS member. Along with daily scripture study, I also practice Zazen and read koans. I recently made a website for Mormon Koans, which I may link to in the future.

I'm not here to promote anything but the Restored Gospel though, and to learn from others.

Thanks for reading!

sounds interesting :) welcome!