So I got chewed out in the church foyer tonight.

5 hours ago, Eowyn said:

Maybe I should make her a pan of brownies.

I personally use baked goods to mend fences.

(Metaphorical fences. My baking isn't so bad as to make a decent fence repair.)

But really, I bet a nice pan of brownies will be a nice peace offering. I wouldn't be opposed.

I usually think of a right, or smart, or funny thing to respond with AFTER the fact. In this case, I am thinking that if someone began to scold me publicly, I'd hold up a hand and say, "I see that you are not happy, so why don't we step into this empty room and discuss it in private?" If the other party refuses, I would walk away. Later, I would call the bishop and explained that the mother attempted to scold me in public, and that I was forced to walk away.

Would I have thought of this as it was happening? Perhaps not. However, hindsight is pretty clear, and it is inappropriate for the mother to scold you in front of an audience.

13 hours ago, MormonGator said:

A lot of you guys who say they'd never be bishops would actually make good ones. 

Uh...brother Mirkwood, could you swear a little less from the pulpit...yea that's my joke when someone suggest I be put in the bishopric...that and my threat of 9% tithing.

No, I wasn't implying I should be in the bishopric.  Heaven help us all if they make that mistake.

This doesn't bode well for me either...

hell_zpsmilrawnt.jpg

Edited by mirkwood

23 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I'm pretty sure I need specifics, if only for entertaining the idea in my head. :D

It really depends on what stupid thing comes out of the person's mouth.  It usually happens with a person once.

For example: shortly after that stupid letter about CCW at church came out I was approached by a member of the ward. 

DumbBrother#1: you know you can't carry that here

Me: huh?

DB#1: you can't carry a gun at church

Me: yes I can

DB#1: no you can't, the church just put out a letter that says you can't.

Me: did you miss the car I drove to church in (I had parked next to him as he and his wife got out of their car)?

DB#1:  I'm telling the bishop.

Me: he already knows, tell him I said hi.

Not more than a minute later a second dumb brother approaches...

DB#2: you know you can't carry a gun at church

Me: yea I can

DB#2: No you can't.

Me: I'm exempt from that letter

DB#2: I'm telling the bishop

Me: tell DB#1 I said hi while you are over there.

Yes, that was a real conversation.

DB#1 and DB#2 never spoke to me again.  I'm crushed.

4 hours ago, mirkwood said:

It really depends on what stupid thing comes out of the person's mouth.  It usually happens with a person once.

For example: shortly after that stupid letter about CCW at church came out I was approached by a member of the ward. 

DumbBrother#1: you know you can't carry that here

Me: huh?

DB#1: you can't carry a gun at church

Me: yes I can

DB#1: no you can't, the church just put out a letter that says you can't.

Me: did you miss the car I drove to church in (I had parked next to him as he and his wife got out of their car)?

DB#1:  I'm telling the bishop.

Me: he already knows, tell him I said hi.

Not more than a minute later a second dumb brother approaches...

DB#2: you know you can't carry a gun at church

Me: yea I can

DB#2: No you can't.

Me: I'm exempt from that letter

DB#2: I'm telling the bishop

Me: tell DB#1 I said hi while you are over there.

Yes, that was a real conversation.

DB#1 and DB#2 never spoke to me again.  I'm crushed.

What letter about ccw @ church? What did the letter say? If the gun was concealed how did people know you had one? 

Edited by Sunday21

24 minutes ago, tesuji said:

Please tell me people aren't bringing guns to church

Why not?

OH! waitaminute.  Here we go again.

Edited by Guest

Oh, you guys. 

Mirk I read that late last night and had to muffle my LOL so I wouldn't wake my kids. I wish I could think on the spot like that. Like PC, I always think of lots of good ways to handle things after the fact. 

Guest MormonGator
9 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Uh...brother Mirkwood, could you swear a little less from the pulpit...yea that's my joke when someone suggest I be put in the bishopric...that and my threat of 9% tithing.

No, I wasn't implying I should be in the bishopric.  Heaven help us all if they make that mistake.

This doesn't bode well for me either...

hell_zpsmilrawnt.jpg

Dude, you stole that from my Facebook a couple of days ago. Plagiarist. 

On May 12, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Eowyn said:

It happened in front of a bunch of young women, by one of their moms. She was mad at me because my 12-year-old Beehive president didn't effectively communicate that a meeting was going to be later than originally planned. Since I was 15 minutes later than she expected to pick her daughter up, she drove her daughter to the church (2 minutes, literally) and waited for another 15 minutes, and got in my face and verbally attacked me as I walked in. She really dressed me down. Not entirely unrelated is the fact that her daughter is the one who never brings what she is assigned, is never prepared for the activity, and is frequently late. 

We are supposed to be letting the girls run the program. I pass information to my president, she passes it to her counselors. This president of mine is top-notch, and I think this might be the first time she didn't do something just right. So when a mom stands there in front of a bunch of girls and points to my presidency and I and says we need to "get it together"... well, I was ticked. These kids are learning. They make mistakes. HER daughter makes plenty, and we just try to help them learn from them. 

Now I don't know if I should say or do anything. I'm still pretty mad. I'll sleep on it... but I feel defensive! I want to stick up for my president and for myself. I think it would do more harm than good, though. 

Eowyn, you handled yourself with class! Even though you were upset, you didn't let it show. I would rather be thought of as a class-act. I often run this mantra through my head: class or crass? I choose class.

7 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

(Mirkwood is a police officer.)

As if that should make a difference.  I know, the law exempts police officers, etc.  But the general comment about "people" bringing "guns" to church...

That's just so "scary".  (you can almost hear the lisp).

Edited by Guest

37 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

As if that should make a difference.  I know, the law exempts police officers, etc.  But the general comment about "people" bringing "guns" to church...

Well, I know we've discussed this before; but I continue to be one of those folks who isn't entirely comfortable with non-LEOs packing heat at church . . . especially when the GAs have specifically asked them not to do so.  (Yeah, I probably have some personal history clouding my views on this, but . . . it is what it is.)

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Are you talking about me here?

If so, I'm not sure what the "lisp" reference is about.

Anyway, I've never seen a gun in church and I hope I never do. Even on a police officer, although perhaps a bit more understandable. Totally out of place, and even more so if the GAs have said "no."

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, classylady said:

Eowyn, you handled yourself with class! Even though you were upset, you didn't let it show. I would rather be thought of as a class-act. I often run this mantra through my head: class or crass? I choose class.

That's a great mantra to have. 

I'd like to say I choose "class" every time, but I'm human. I've bitten back a few times (metaphorically speaking, of course). You have find the balance of standing up for yourself and fighting every battle that comes your way. 

I've noticed that the I don't regret the times I've fired back-I regret being quiet. 

Edited by MormonGator

I would pray for the woman that yelled at you Eowyn.  If she is arrogant she may need the prayers of: "Lord humble this person as thou would see fit."  I have prayed for the humility of two really bad supervisors.  I don't know if their actions came back to bite them or if the Lord answered my prayers but both of them were fired eventually.  Some people need a strong dose of humility.

3 hours ago, tesuji said:

Anyway, I've never seen a gun in church and I hope I never do. 

Oh man.  Should I make it harder for you to enjoy church, and ask you to think about what the word "concealed" means?  Crap - I guess I just did.  Well, in for a penny, in for a pound.  I believe that grown adults are better at being grown adults when they know stuff, so here goes.

Hey tesuji, what state do you live in?  If it's a shall-issue state (meaning, it issues conceal carry permits to people), you've probably been within 50 feet of good people carrying guns, every single time you're out in public (and that includes church).   Depending on when your state adopted conceal carry laws, maybe this has been happening to you for decades.  

I always feel bad pointing this out to people.  It is occasionally jarring to them.  Hopefully you live in Chicago or Cali or somewhere, and all the good guys are disarmed by law, which gives you good reason to fear seeing a gun on a random citizen, because by definition, only lawbreakers will have one.  

Anyway, here's the church's statement, in handbook 2:  
8.4.5  Firearms  Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.

In the LDS concealed-carry community, I see three main reactions to this policy:
1. Ok.  Church doesn't want me carrying, I won't carry.
2. It says "inappropriate", not "forbidden" or "not allowed".  I'll gladly kneel at the feet of my Master after I die and plead guilty to being 'inappropriate', and I'm sure He'll understand my reasons.
3. I asked the Bishop, and he said (yes/no), so I (carry/don't carry).  

In my ward here in Colorado, I know at least one brother in each camp.   There are probably a few more in camp #2 that I don't know about.  Lots of military here.

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Anyway, here's the church's statement, in handbook 2:  
8.4.5  Firearms  Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.

Thats the fundamental problem that naive people will never understand. You can be full of compassion, love, cuddles, hearts and flowers and there are others who don't agree with you. There are very naughty and yes, evil people in the world who want to hurt others.  

A criminal will not follow the law in the first place, so these laws/rules/etc only harm good people  

6 hours ago, NightSG said:
6 hours ago, NightSG said:

If I knew where I was going to need a handgun, I just wouldn't go there.

I'd stay about 400 yards away with a good rifle.

And if your grandmother had wings, she could fly, right?

The problem is, you never know where.

And one very likely place is that place officially designated as "GUN FREE ZONE".

That sign in reality means "SITTING DUCKS TO BE FOUND HERE".

Like a lot of things, it's nice to not need one, and have it, rather than not have it and need it.

dc