So I got chewed out in the church foyer tonight.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, mirkwood said:

Which you stole from my Facebook several times over the last few years.  That should be a crime!!

That's it. I'm naming a character after you and then casting "Wish" on them. All the best. 

2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

How are we three pages into this without anyone suggesting the obvious measure of TP'ing her house?

I respect and pity her husband far too much. In fact, my main hesitance in sending the message I sent her last night was knowing it would probably make his life harder, if just for a minute. He's in the bishopric, serves over my class, and to complicate things further he's my mom's doctor and my husband and I consider him a friend.

But I did send her this message I wrote above. I don't expect an answer from her, and if I get one I don't suppose it will be reasonable. But I do feel better having laid out the facts in defense of myself and my girls. 

Eowyn, did I read correctly that you were late in coming to pick her up at her house so the mother and her WALKED the 10 minutes to church?

Why in the name of [fill in the blank] are you picking her up in the first place? If she can't walk then parent can drive her.

20 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

What letter about ccw @ church? What did the letter say? If the gun was concealed how did people know you had one? 

Forgot to answer.  Sometimes the suit coat falls in such a manner that the badge and holster become visible.  I try to prevent it, but sometimes it happens.  Most of the ward is used to it by now.

So another story.  We had been in the ward one week (boundary changes) and a little boy whose forehead was at just the right height to hit my holster was running full speed down the hall.  Yep...he nailed my holster dead center and knocked himself flat.  I may have deadpanned, "that probably hurt."  I did suggest that his mom make sure he was okay since he had just smacked his head into something hard.  She looked at me funny so I said, "he headbutted my holster," or something to that effect.

Edited by mirkwood

9 hours ago, Iggy said:

Eowyn, did I read correctly that you were late in coming to pick her up at her house so the mother and her WALKED the 10 minutes to church?

Why in the name of [fill in the blank] are you picking her up in the first place? If she can't walk then parent can drive her.

No, she drove her to our building which is less than 2 miles away. I offered to drive the girls, since we were meeting just before cub scouts and mutual, to save families from making one trip after another. I'm not sure I'll make that offer again. 

No one walks, and I wouldn't want them to. It's up a busy rural thoroughfare with no shoulder. 

Well, I got a response back that started apologetic but then turned into a lot of excuse making, finger pointing (more passive and less aggressive this time), and blame shifting. I guess that's more than I thought I'd get, so I'll take it. I'm biting my knuckles to keep myself from getting into an email war of information correcting and fact clarifying. I sent back the pertinent information that can't be argued with, and now I'm doing my best Elsa. Let it Go! Let it Go!

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

Well, I got a response back that started apologetic but then turned into a lot of excuse making, finger pointing (more passive and less aggressive this time), and blame shifting. I guess that's more than I thought I'd get, so I'll take it. I'm biting my knuckles to keep myself from getting into an email war of information correcting and fact clarifying. I sent back the pertinent information that can't be argued with, and now I'm doing my best Elsa. Let it Go! Let it Go!

You lifelong Mormons really are nicer and better people than 99% of non members. I'm constantly amazed how polite you guys are. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

You lifelong Mormons really are nicer and better people than 99% of non members. I'm constantly amazed how polite you guys are. 

If by "polite" and "nice" you mean "emotionally stunted" and "terrified of conflict", I completely agree. :D

18 hours ago, Eowyn said:

If by "polite" and "nice" you mean "emotionally stunted" and "terrified of conflict", I completely agree. :D

That isn't the way I have seen it, and tho' I've only been a member just over a year, I have seen it over the last 66 years.

dc

On 5/15/2016 at 10:28 PM, Eowyn said:

I sent back the pertinent information that can't be argued with, and now I'm doing my best Elsa. Let it Go! Let it Go!

DON'T DO IT! It had disastrous results in the film!

*It occurs to me that others may understand Elsa's "Let it go" differently from me. I think it pretty clear from the context of the song that "letting it go" is a euphemism for the old catharsis myth. It's permission to be that baser person you've been holding back. Loosen up Mr. Hyde's leash. Yet I hear others use the title of the song to encourage letting sleeping dogs lie. Treat it like water under the bridge. Or water over a duck's back. Or water under a bridge over a duck's back (that poor duck lifting that bridge).

Edited by mordorbund

Elsa did have to let go of her parent's horrible and impossible advice.  She couldn't "conceal, don't feel" her way through life.  Of course, she had a rather bumpy ride through an entire movie before she was able to figure out what she should do, but hey, that's what growing up is all about.  Yeah, when Elsa has strong unchecked emotions, people get hurt, but that's true of plenty of people's strong unchecked emotions.  Gotta learn to deal with your emotions and not act out in ways that hurt people.  Hopefully she'll get there before Aarendelle has any winter-based deaths.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Elsa did have to let go of her parent's horrible and impossible advice.  She couldn't "conceal, don't feel" her way through life.  Of course, she had a rather bumpy ride through an entire movie before she was able to figure out what she should do, but hey, that's what growing up is all about.  Yeah, when Elsa has strong unchecked emotions, people get hurt, but that's true of plenty of people's strong unchecked emotions.  Gotta learn to deal with your emotions and not act out in ways that hurt people.  Hopefully she'll get there before Aarendelle has any winter-based deaths.

"How it should have ended" did a great treatment of this film that goes along with what you're saying here.  Look it up on youtube.

20 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I was mostly joking. I would rather err on the side of nice and polite.

You were right, of course.  The fact that she apologized and blame-shifted means she knew she was out of line.  Take your participation prize check to the bank and cash it, before it bounces.  :-)

I am late to this conversation, sorry this happened to you @Eowyn. My thoughts are that if someone doesn't like the way I fulfill my calling they can 1) volunteer themselves 2) go above my head, or 3) deal with it. I do take constructive criticism rather well but I am not responsive to someone else getting angry at me for giving giving my time up in a manner they don't like. And it has happened. We had one person demand from me a different room to teach her class in. Problem is, I didn't have another room to give them and I told them as much. I also said that my only way to make everyone happy was to get the current building demolished and get a new, larger building built. I wasn't rude about it, but it was a fact that nobody likes. The person ended up going to the bishopric and the bishopric talked to me about it. The teacher was going to resign in the calling if they didn't get a bigger room. I told the Bishopric, they could do as they wished, but I suggested that they let the member resign if that is what they wished to do.  The room got switched, and now I have another class that is stuck and unhappy, but is dealing with it because they understand. I am not angry about it, but I wish more could see past their own selfish desires and how it imposes on others. 

Edited by EarlJibbs