Mainstream Traditional Church That . . . Isn't

Sometimes we stumble over the right words to describe folk here, like myself--non-LDS Christians.  "Traditional Christians" seems to be a mostly acceptable label.  At least it has been.  Now, I wonder.  After all, what could be more "traditional" than The Church of England (Anglican)?  Yet, it appears some rogue congregations have decided to be anything but . . .

http://www.christianpost.com/buzzvine/mainline-church-bars-jesus-words-for-being-too-exclusive-patriarchal-163609/

We've often said here that it is wrong to declare self-identified Christians to not be so.  Okay, I won't do that ... but these folks are pushing it!  :-)

Jesus saying that God created humankind as "male and female," thus ignoring transgenders, cis-genders, omni-genders, Pansexuals, questioning, answering, discerning, and BronyCon.

I have no idea what most of those terms even mean.  And for the first time in many years, I don't care to look them up.

But I think you might want to see the disclaimer at the bottom.

WARNING: THE ARTICLE ABOVE IS A WORK OF SATIRE. PLEASE SHARE RESPONSIBLY.

I did finally look up "BronyCon".  It isn't a sexual orientation... or is it?

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

In my defense Unitarian Universalism embraces many of the beliefs in the OP article (minus the hostility towards the words of Jesus).  See:  http://www.uua.org/beliefs/what-we-believe  So...I was cynical enough to take the satire seriously. 

That was my thought when reading it. Why not just be Unitarian? Then I scrolled down to see if it was reposted from the Onion.

8 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

UUs have a Christian heritage, but are open to other spiritualities, as well.

Well, I'm wondering about your statement in the OP about "declaring self-identified Christians to not be so".  

I'm in full agreement with the sentiment.  But if their fundamental faith is to not have a defined faith, then how can you self-identify as anything that has a definition?  Do they actually self-identify as Christians?  Anyone know?

From Wikipedia:

Individuals may or may not self-identify as Christians or subscribe to Christian beliefs.

Well, gee.  That's helpful.  Look, it's the First International Conglomerated Church of Anything.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Well, I'm wondering about your statement in the OP about "declaring self-identified Christians to not be so".  

I'm in full agreement with the sentiment.  But if their fundamental faith is to not have a defined faith, then how can you self-identify as anything that has a definition?  Do they actually self-identify as Christians?  Anyone know?

From Wikipedia:

Well, gee.  That's helpful.  Look, it's the First International Conglomerated Church of Anything.

Or the 'Church of What's Happenin' Now'. Thanx to Flip, this phrase has come in handy more times than I can count...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2016 at 6:35 PM, Carborendum said:

I have no idea what most of those terms even mean.  And for the first time in many years, I don't care to look them up.

But I think you might want to see the disclaimer at the bottom.

I did finally look up "BronyCon".  It isn't a sexual orientation... or is it?

I thought it was to do with men who like My Little Pony, there are lots of conventions apparently!  Only know as my son loves My Little Pony!

Sometimes I really what a person must do (or say) in our modern society to prove that they are insane. (meaning disconnected with reality)  But then, what is religion and what is reality?  I realize that there may be difficult "gray" areas of thought - but really - is reality that hard of a concept?  Is religion really disconnected form reality?

Many years ago I worked on the navigation of the cruise missile.  We would make reality checks over 60 times a second to keep the missile on course.  One of the tricks of reality is to not let too much go by before you try to connect again.  Waiting a long time results in major course corrections in order to reach a intended destination - but worse that missing an opportunity to connect with reality is the mistake of redefining reality to conform to where you think you are going - that is without doubt is major mental - by any definition of reality.

The Traveler

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:21 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Bronies.  No, we're not really our own sexual orientation.  At least, not the last time I checked.

NT,

Who's "we", white man?

On May 12, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Carborendum said:

From Wikipedia:

I participated with the UUs for about two years. I knew Christian, pagan and atheist participants. I don't say "member" because while you can formally join the UUs as a member, there are some who participate with the UUs who are adverse to "membership". 

Anyway for UUs you SELF identify. So if one UU says they are Christian, they are Christian, if another says they are pagan, then they are pagan, etc. Pretty much it's about not being an inconvenience to anyone else.