Pushing Back Against the Transgender Bathroom Directive

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, LeSellers said:

It's been done. I don't care enough to make a stink about it.

Lehi

Well consider me patriotic than. America, America, America. 

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Well consider me patriotic than. America, America, America. 

Well, I'll pit my 21+ years military service against your chant any day.

Lehi

1 hour ago, LeSellers said:

I can teach any hearing child or reasonable intelligence to read in six weeks (and that's a worst case), while most grtf-welfare schools don't do it in 3 years.

Actually, my school is pretty good at getting kids to read. 

What methods do you use and exactly how many kids have you taught to read in 6 weeks?

Not really challenging, but every time I chat with homeschooling parents about teaching reading they're pretty much using the same strategies most school teachers use. I fail to see what's so special and different about the approaches.

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Well, I'll pit my 21+ years military service against your chant any day.

Lehi

I would have given anything to be in the military but alas, I can't due to a medical condition. I give to veteran charities big time though (monthly deduction from my checking account) , which is all I can do. If I was healthier/younger I'd sign up in a heartbeat. 

I'd think someone who served would use the correct terminology. 

Edited by MormonGator

31 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Whether anyone cares or not, I use it for this reason:

"America" is far more than the united States of America. It runs from Point Barrow to Patagonia. "USmerica" (which, unlike "USA" can be declined, as in adjective, etc.) describes the united States of America without offending Mexicans, Canadians, and Chileans.

Lehi

I have seen you use this before and this is what I surmised.

But, personal opinion, the word just seems silly. No offense, I just tend to giggle when I see it.

Were explicit details needed, U. S. America would work better, IMO.  U. S. American(s), U. S. America's - declinable and clear and grammatically correct, very little ambiguity of intent.  More typing would also be clear, declinable, grammatically correct, and have even less ambiguity.

If people from elsewhere on the North or South American continents wish to identify themselves by continent rather than country, then "North American" or "South American" (or even "Central American" if it makes you warm and fuzzy) would be accurate and equate to "European", "Asian", "African", etc.

Further, even if someone who lives in a country on one of the American continents other than the United States of America wants to call himself "American" that doesn't negate the validity of people from the United States of America calling themselves American (since they live both on a continent and in a country with that word in its name), and there's no insult either way (unless someone wants to work hard to imagine up insults).

And, finally, everywhere I've been from Canada, to numerous places in Europe, to Turkey, and Africa, "American" meant "citizen of the United States of America", and "America" meant "United States of America".  If citizens of other countries on the American continents don't like this, they've got a big battle ahead of them to expand the meaning of that word to include all the residents of the American continents...

3 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I have seen you use this before and this is what I surmised.

But, personal opinion, the word just seems silly. No offense, I just tend to giggle when I see it.

Glad to bring a smile to your face.

Lehi

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, zil said:

And, finally, everywhere I've been from Canada, to numerous places in Europe, to Turkey, and Africa, "American" meant "citizen of the United States of America", and "America" meant "United States of America".  If citizens of other countries on the American continents don't like this, they've got a big battle ahead of them to expand the meaning of that word to include all the residents of the American continents...

I spend a lot of time in Quebec (Zil takes care of the compound)  and the LAST thing they want is to be mistaken for Americans. 

5 minutes ago, zil said:

More typing would also be clear, declinable, grammatically correct, and have even less ambiguity.

Or one could say "US" or "the US" and type even fewer letters. But I don't think any of this is the reason he says "USMerica", and I don't buy his desire to not offend someone for a minute. 

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Eowyn said:

Or one could say "US" or "the US" and type even fewer letters. But I don't think any of this is the reason he says "USMerica", and I don't buy his desire to not offend someone for a minute. 

I can't read minds, but if it's not to offend people, he's failed. Maybe it's to prove how smart he is, or to make political points. It's not accomplishing anything, that's for sure. 

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I spend a lot of time in Quebec (Zil takes care of the compound)  and the LAST thing they want is to be mistaken for Americans. 

Yes, that's true.

OT: I once spent a few days in Montreal in January - Holy ice buckets, Batman!  It was colder than Moscow (Russia) ever dreamed of being.

There are people (not naming any names) who get absolutely tickled when they can manage to get under someone's skin. Not a hobby I understand, and it doesn't strike me as very Christian, but it happens. 

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, zil said:

Yes, that's true.

OT: I once spent a few days in Montreal in January - Holy ice buckets, Batman!  It was colder than Moscow (Russia) ever dreamed of being.

It's freezing cold there, but I do love the people and the culture. Growing up l loved the Expos and Canadiens  (I lived near the border and could get the games on my radio. I am SO old) and I thought I was so worldly listening to a non-American team! 

Edited by MormonGator

17 minutes ago, Backroads said:

Actually, my school is pretty good at getting kids to read. 

What methods do you use and exactly how many kids have you taught to read in 6 weeks?

Not really challenging, but every time I chat with homeschooling parents about teaching reading they're pretty much using the same strategies most school teachers use. I fail to see what's so special and different about the approaches.

I have taught our own children to read in weeks, not years. Our daughters and daughters-in-law have done it.

The approaches are not all that different (except for the insanity of look-say/whole language) but the techniques are very different.

The techniques that differ are the bureaucratic method of one teacher in front of 20 children and one father or mother or  uncle or neighbor with the child in his knee showing the child the letters, the sounds they represent, and reading real books, not Dick and Jane, or whatever claptrap they're pushing in schools these days.

If schools, in general, actually taught children to read, they would, but they do not: witness the 50% illiteracy rate after ten years, not ten weeks.

Lehi

12 hours ago, Eowyn said:

There are people (not naming any names) who get absolutely tickled when they can manage to get under someone's skin. Not a hobby I understand, and it doesn't strike me as very Christian, but it happens. 

He who shall not be named does not get tickled. He simply doesn't care. If he did, he'd make a point of it, rather than merely using a specific term in casual conversation.

But then, he who shall not be named simply doesn't care.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

6 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

I have taught our own children to read in weeks, not years. Our daughters and daughters-in-law have done it.

The approaches are not all that different (except for the insanity of look-say/whole language) but the techniques are very different.

The techniques that differ are the bureaucratic method of one teacher in front of 20 children and one father or mother or  uncle or neighbor with the child in his knee showing the child the letters, the sounds they represent, and reading real books, not Dick and Jane, or whatever claptrap they're pushing in schools these days.

If schools, in general, actually taught children to read, they would, but they do not: witness the 50% illiteracy rate after ten years, not ten weeks.

Lehi

Clearly you've never been in my classroom.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Backroads said:

I was taught to read at home, but many of my friends were taught to read by great teachers. I'm sure Backroads is one of them, busting her butt to help children that otherwise wouldn't be reached. 

3 minutes ago, Backroads said:

You mean that, along with the rest of the country, you don't use Dick and Jane anymore?

3 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

You mean that, along with the rest of the country, you don't use Dick and Jane anymore?

Now, I actually do have a vintage Dick and Jane in my classroom because I do have students who enjoy reading it. But no, it's not part of my instructional process other than me helping the chd reading it. 

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@Backroads I'm wondering what you and other teachers think about this new bathroom directive for schools.

I'm no teacher but like it's been said, I don't care about the transgender community-to each their own-but I care about perverts who are going to abuse the law. 

40 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@Backroads I'm wondering what you and other teachers think about this new bathroom directive for schools.

I'd like to say I'm on the side of "get in, get done, get out" without a hullabaloo in the bathroom, but that's a wish. I'd love single rooms in general for sheer generic shenanigans protection.

Guest LiterateParakeet
46 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I'd like to say I'm on the side of "get in, get done, get out" without a hullabaloo in the bathroom, but that's a wish. I'd love single rooms in general for sheer generic shenanigans protection.

In schools, we also have the issue of showers . . . are teachers (you and others) talking about that?

Guest MormonGator
17 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

In schools, we also have the issue of showers . . . are teachers (you and others) talking about that?

Great point. The unforeseen consequences for this are huge.